PDA

View Full Version : funny issue with my RS6

tightgroup
December 20th, 2015, 20:42
When its cold( -4 C), I start the car , put in D and she does not move, I can put her in R and she will reverse. Restarted car and it worked fine, went into D and moved normally. car has 241K km on her , no know ATF change on tranny and no codes. Any ideas ??

hahnmgh63
December 20th, 2015, 21:40
Sounds a little low on fluid (the cold will lower the level further) but that is a lot of miles for the crappy ZF tranny in these cars.

Bigglezworth
December 20th, 2015, 23:02
Your description sounds very much like a low fluid level diagnosis. You should put the car up on stands (or a hoist if you have one), hook-up your VAGCOM, and once you get the tranny fluid up to temp, add fluid to ensure you're full.

I had a car with lots more mileage on it than yours and it was on a second tranny after the first was swapped out uat 100000 or so miles. Second one had almost 150000K on it and shifted just fine. Clean fluid, and revised seals/rebuild should ensure tranny lasts long - even though they are not known for being one of the more relialble models out there...

Aronis
December 20th, 2015, 23:33
What do you mean crappy ZF? I have read it is a very good transmission, just that the RS6 puts out power at the transmissions limits!

ttboost
December 20th, 2015, 23:55
What do you mean crappy ZF?

Small insufficient clutch plates and not enough of them for the potential TQ limits....

hahnmgh63
December 21st, 2015, 00:49
ZF makes some good transmissions but the 5HP24 has had problems in every car it's been in: A8, A6, Jag XK, BMW 5 & 7 series, Land Rovers. Now the 6HP, that is a good transmission and Audi/Quattro should have used it, it debuted in the 2001 7 series BMW, so the higher torque version should have been ready for the 2002 model year, and as a bonus, it shifts faster, is lighter, and a 6 speed.