PDA

View Full Version : Koni Yellow setting with stock springs

Cmnair
December 14th, 2015, 03:23
Hi Guys,
I went through all the threads on this topic (thanks 4.2crew) and have this summary:

Fronts - 1/2 turn from full soft
Rears - 1/4 turn from full soft and lowest perch

Any updates or further feedback on these settings with stock springs? Koni recommends the softest setting with stock springs but I am afraid it might be too floaty at the softest setting.

Just as a baseline I have KW v1s right now and I find the ride too floaty. I have never experienced the ride with DRC.

Bigglezworth
December 14th, 2015, 06:12
First things first. It's important to note that the Koni Yellow Sports don't have a "soft" setting.... They have the baseline which is firm, and then the ability to increase that to FIRM (which becomes stupid ride quality and then some). I initially installed mine at 1/2F and 1/4R and have since revised them to 1/4F and 0R. The rears were still too hard at the 1/4 turn for my liking. Also, the height of the spring perch will depend on where your OEM springs were at prior to swapping dampers. I had initially set mine on the lowest perch, but have since revised them to be on the highest perch and that sees the tires with a 1 finger clearance to wheel well. Personally, I would concur with Koni stating to install them initially without any increase in firmness right out of the box. If you go in to this swap thinking that you will be getting a much firmer ride than the DRC by jacking up the pressure on the dampers, you will be hating yourself in very short order....

Cmnair
December 14th, 2015, 10:34
First things first. It's important to note that the Koni Yellow Sports don't have a "soft" setting.... They have the baseline which is firm, and then the ability to increase that to FIRM (which becomes stupid ride quality and then some). I initially installed mine at 1/2F and 1/4R and have since revised them to 1/4F and 0R. The rears were still too hard at the 1/4 turn for my liking. Also, the height of the spring perch will depend on where your OEM springs were at prior to swapping dampers. I had initially set mine on the lowest perch, but have since revised them to be on the highest perch and that sees the tires with a 1 finger clearance to wheel well. Personally, I would concur with Koni stating to install them initially without any increase in firmness right out of the box. If you go in to this swap thinking that you will be getting a much firmer ride than the DRC by jacking up the pressure on the dampers, you will be hating yourself in very short order....

Thanks....will try it with the baseline setting. I never experienced the DRC so can't compare. However, the KW V1s the car came with makes it feels very floaty over bumps. I understand "soft" is relative to the other firm(er) settings...is the baseline as firm as Audi sport suspensions?

I have heard that the Konis may "soften" up over several 1000 mikes.

lswing
December 14th, 2015, 12:29
Baseline/softest is a firm ride, works great, even still a bit harsh on rough streets. When I lived around smoother roads I was contemplating a single turn towards firmer. Really hasn't softened up much in the 5k I've driven on them.

Cmnair
December 15th, 2015, 01:12
Baseline/softest is a firm ride, works great, even still a bit harsh on rough streets. When I lived around smoother roads I was contemplating a single turn towards firmer. Really hasn't softened up much in the 5k I've driven on them.

Thanks lswing...I am going to keep it at the baseline setting. I guess you are getting exposed to the crappy NY roads now. :)

Cmnair
December 15th, 2015, 13:04
Koni's recommendation is to use the factory baseline setting and the middle perch for the rears (pre-installed cir-clip position). I am about to do this today....any thoughts on middle vs lowest perch for the rears? I know some have used the middle (OEM ride height) and some have used the lowest perch. I am thinking of staying with OEM settings but don't want to regret it :)

lswing
December 15th, 2015, 13:23
Almost sure its lowest setting you want, car is very level, just a bit lower in back, barely. Make sure the perch is put on correctly as it will fail if upside down. 4.2crews thread has details to confirm.

Yes, even my smoothest commute option has a few (25) rough bumps. I swerve around like a drunk driver. I've hit a few real nasty bumps too, may need to replace some of my fillings. I swear I'm gonna buy a concrete grinder and go out the middle of the f'ing night and grind down some of these bumps...all of us in upstate just pay taxes for the big fancy city:) With even worse roads...at least they found two politicians guilty this month...

Cmnair
December 15th, 2015, 17:39
Almost sure its lowest setting you want, car is very level, just a bit lower in back, barely. Make sure the perch is put on correctly as it will fail if upside down. 4.2crews thread has details to confirm.

Yes, even my smoothest commute option has a few (25) rough bumps. I swerve around like a drunk driver. I've hit a few real nasty bumps too, may need to replace some of my fillings. I swear I'm gonna buy a concrete grinder and go out the middle of the f'ing night and grind down some of these bumps...all of us in upstate just pay taxes for the big fancy city:) With even worse roads...at least they found two politicians guilty this month...

Thanks...I am going to try the out of box setting over the winter and then change in the spring if needed. So baseline setting and middle perch on rears.

The roads here in Long Island are even shittier :)

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 00:02
Finally got the Konis installed with stock springs...I used the out of the Box settings as is. I am ok with the ride height. The rear is a smidge higher than the front but not much, I don't mind the slight rake actually.

The ride is compliant and the bounciness I had before has reduced quite a bit. Overall the ride is still not quite where I like it to be but it is probably the best you can get for this car. I am coming from a 2012 CTS-V with MRC suspension as a baseline.

Bigglezworth
December 16th, 2015, 00:28
Overall the ride is still not quite where I like it to be but it is probably the best you can get for this car. I am coming from a 2012 CTS-V with MRC suspension as a baseline.The GM suspension isn't a <$1,000.00 suspension.... If you want to compare apples to apples, a KW3 would be a more reasonable comparison.

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 00:57
The GM suspension isn't a <$1,000.00 suspension.... If you want to compare apples to apples, a KW3 would be a more reasonable comparison.

Lol did not mean it that way...even if you compare the original properly functioning DRC I might have felt the same way. Perhaps an unfair comparison yes, but I was just stating what I was used to before...

The ride is definitely much better than the KW v1

ttboost
December 16th, 2015, 13:20
Correct, there is no comparison to the MRC...:applause:

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 13:27
Were you guys able to fit the stock dust boots with the Koni Yellows? Anyone running without the dust boots?

DHall1
December 16th, 2015, 14:08
Pics please

Finally got the Konis installed with stock springs...I used the out of the Box settings as is. I am ok with the ride height. The rear is a smidge higher than the front but not much, I don't mind the slight rake actually.

The ride is compliant and the bounciness I had before has reduced quite a bit. Overall the ride is still not quite where I like it to be but it is probably the best you can get for this car. I am coming from a 2012 CTS-V with MRC suspension as a baseline.

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 14:41

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 14:45
Anyone need low mileage DRC system or KW V1 with 20k miles? :)

Bigglezworth
December 16th, 2015, 15:10
Were you guys able to fit the stock dust boots with the Koni Yellows? Anyone running without the dust boots?I used the OEM rubber seats and OEM dust boots both yes.

Cmnair
December 16th, 2015, 15:22
I used the OEM rubber seats and OEM dust boots both yes.

yup up did that too....I got mixed up on the bellows that came with the DRC shocks .....tried fitting them too lol

Kgnast
January 30th, 2016, 15:26
Anyone looking to get rid of used Koni yellow sports? My DRC is out. Car is currently in winter storage. It rarely gets driven anyway so I really don't care about putting in used Yellow Sports and money is a really tight to get the RS6 back to what was taken from me. No way will I have the DRC repaired. I'm still reeling from the car theft of the Alpine 7" touch screen, the JL Audio amps/sub, and the BBS 20" LM's. I have replacement amps and JL 10" on the way. Replacement Headunit/konis. Then time to save up for some new rims/tires. Still crying. Aiming to be back together for April (stored car, dropped liability insurance, didn't turn in plates, registration suspension ends in April).