PDA

View Full Version : RS6 wagon?!?!? Why so cheap???

makaveli42
December 7th, 2015, 01:05
http://ebay.to/1TmrrOPShould cost about $5k to import and get thru customs right? So less than $15k you can get a badass great white buffalo!!! I feel like there's something fishy with it. You could flip that for insane cash back here in the states!

makaveli42
December 7th, 2015, 02:00
Crap my bad...link died. Here is it!!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-rs6-estate-/262163735670?nav=SEARCH

hahnmgh63
December 7th, 2015, 04:25
I'm sure it will increase but: trannies days are numbered (128K), was asked on 28 Nov for interior pics and answered they are coming?? Where are they? Custom seats? (Let's see them), Buffalo Hide interior?? I would like to see the interior pics, might go for a great price for someone will to do the tranny in a year or two. Stock is always nice, have a baseline to work from. Pics look good but not enough of them or detailed enough.

Other_Erik
December 7th, 2015, 11:24
I was under the impression that some pretty hefty mods had to be done to make this US road legal? IIRC, the NHTSA import restrictions meant a rework of seat belts, air bags, sunroof, front bumper support, and one or two other things I can't remember off the top of my head. $5k would cover the transport cost, but pretty sure importation of RS6 Wagen has been beaten to death around here, ending up cheaper/easier to swap drivetrain and appearance bits into/onto an S6 Wagon (which is not very cheap or easy). Don't get me wrong, would love to rock the executive rocket wagon, but until it hits 25 years for the US or 15 for our brothers to the north, legally importing one is like buying a boat - bust out another (ten) thousand =\

O_E

SteveKen
December 7th, 2015, 14:49
The federalization cost is pretty much prohibitive. Even if you get he car for $0, then you have to pay for the transport and federalization.

It's cheaper to buy my 'tribute version' in the spring.

Turbowned
December 7th, 2015, 15:04
We've heard about the pains of other owners trying to get them federalized, and it just doesn't sound like it's worth the headache or the cost

SteveKen
December 7th, 2015, 15:41
I don't think it's a headache. You just have it shipped to the approved shop for federalization, as they know exactly what to do, and just pay them lots and lots of American dollars.

lswing
December 8th, 2015, 00:22
I don't think it's a headache. You just have it shipped to the approved shop for federalization, as they know exactly what to do, and just pay them lots and lots of American dollars.

Last guy that tried got quoted ~$20k for US conversion, must use all new OEM. He shipped the car back to Europe, ouch!!!

atikovi
December 8th, 2015, 01:58
Shipping over a complete car shouldn't be over $1000. But...you'd have to ship it over as parts, as is, engine and transmission removed in order to get it through customs. Then assemble it at your leisure. To title and register it, there are a few states that are more lenient than others, or you could get a mechanics lien or abandoned car title. Got a couple of Canadian titled cars done the first way and a 1997 Fiat the second way.

makaveli42
December 8th, 2015, 03:11
I'll be honest...did think there was that much crap involved! I've seen right hand drive r34 skylines in Texas before. Pretty sure they are legal here and are titled as s14s. So I assumed this would be an easy import

Dmb408
December 8th, 2015, 18:17

And I have first dibs in the spring? Or where am in the queue?

Meant to quote your prior post.

essexmetal
December 9th, 2015, 01:25
I looked into bringing in a 2008 RS6 Avant trying a few methods. With good connections in the UK and Germany locating and purchasing a car was not a problem. Turning a newer car into a bunch of parts won't fly getting it through the importation checks. Also looked into the show and display category as a friend was successful with a Porsche. It turns out for the RS6 model there are year limitations as well. Porsche came in as a race car even though it will never see the track. Hard to sell a wagon off as a race car.

I support the previous posts that it may be easier to convert an S6 than deal with the bureaucracy to import. Personally I applaud those that convert the S6 all the way with with the external details as well as the powertrain up grades. I have an 02 S6 and an 03 RS6 Avant and personally I really like driving the S6 more. You certainly miss the power but the S6 has a more sorted feel than the RS6. Just wonder how the conversion would be like if you just do a powertrain swap with requisite air intakes for the IC's and leave the rest S6.
Rick