PDA

View Full Version : Help needed : the fan that circulates the air inside my car has a nasty squeal...

bakes
November 10th, 2015, 13:24
Is this a difficult thing to replace? Unless I have the fan running at 5 or 6 bars it squeals like a mother f@#$er.

Is this part of the climate control assembly or buried deeper in the car?

If anyone has any pictures or locations that would help me in figuring out what I need to replace (or would I be able to lubricate the fan?) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ben916
November 10th, 2015, 18:25
IIRC, it is under the passenger footwell area tucked up under the dashboard.
It is not easy to get to but the repair/replace of the fan motor is not challenging at all.

Good Luck to you!

LaserSVT
November 10th, 2015, 22:47
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1y-egaQaI

LaserSVT
November 10th, 2015, 22:50
BTW, don't need to remove the motors two screws if you just want to replace the unit. Cleaning is 50/50 as to if it will work for more than a few weeks. The bearings dry out and you cant relube them with anything lasting.

hahnmgh63
November 11th, 2015, 00:07
Fans are cheap, same one used on a lot of Audi's over a decade long. 3 screws when you open the glove box, two in the back, and if I remember right you need to pop off the side panel (passenger door open) to remove one more screw. Still need to disconnect glove box & footwell lights. Pretty easy job. Did it on a Coworkers A6 for her.

4everRS
November 11th, 2015, 01:35
I need to do this to. Good reminder. I've had the new fan sitting in the box for a few months now. Iirc it was a little over 100 bucks

ttboost
November 11th, 2015, 12:50
Mine JUST started to do this when I sold it. I think it is only an hour or so job, give or take a half hour, for beering and peeing...?

bakes
November 11th, 2015, 16:28
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1y-egaQaI

Perfect! Thanks so much!!!

bakes
November 12th, 2015, 00:10
job is done and the squeal appears to be resolved. thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions. now to figure out the clunking coming from the rear of my car!

LaserSVT
November 12th, 2015, 00:20
Shocks..

bakes
November 12th, 2015, 02:32
if it shocks...do the kw v3's have to be serviced? no idea how long they've been on my car?

ben916
November 13th, 2015, 21:08
if it shocks...do the kw v3's have to be serviced? no idea how long they've been on my car?

IIRC, Headshot had those installed during the first round of DRC "screw the owners not gonna fix it until the NTSHA gets involved" era.
The number that sticks in my head is $100/side rebuild but then what do you drive while the RS6 is on blocks/jackstands????

bakes
November 14th, 2015, 00:51
IIRC, Headshot had those installed during the first round of DRC "screw the owners not gonna fix it until the NTSHA gets involved" era.
The number that sticks in my head is $100/side rebuild but then what do you drive while the RS6 is on blocks/jackstands????

Exactly...the RS is my daily driver. I have been thinking of picking up something cheap and small and garaging it through my salty winters. Perhaps this is another justification for that! I may poke around this weekend as I"m going to swap my summer wheels for winters and see if I can see anything obvious that may need a little tighening or may be worn. Problem is I'm not a grease monkey and really have no idea what to look for.