PDA

View Full Version : EGT sensor DIY repair with photos

sleeprs6
November 5th, 2015, 21:37
I usually lurk this forum, but posts here have helped me with so many repairs that I wanted to contribute.

I purchased VCDS and the first thing that I noticed is that both my EGT sensors were malfunctioning. Here are the codes:

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
P1453 - 001 - Open or Short to Plus
17867 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236)
P1459 - 008 - Implausible Signal

The EGT re-solder is well documented on this website, I followed the same steps as others have, with a few minor adjustments:

First unbolt the EGT sensors from the firewall:

Gently pry off the tops with a mini screwdriver (make sure they don't break). The circuitboard is covered with silicone gel.

Remove as much of the silicone gel as you can with a toothbrush and a paper towel (this part took me the longest). Make sure the circled contacts are completely free of silicone gel.

Clean the whole circuitboard with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. I got some at home depot. Visually inspect the contacts and make sure they are completely clean. It's really important to get any residual silicone gel off of the solder joint.

Now you are ready to solder. Use a good soldering iron and use a copper sponge to clean the tip before soldering.

Coat all surfaces of the solder joint with soldering flux, heat the joint, and apply a little bit of fresh solder. Pay attention to where the solder contacts the circuit board and make sure you get a good connection (took me two tries).

When you've re-soldered all five contact points, put the lids back on and connect the sensors (don't bolt to the firewall yet). Clear DTCs with vag-com and log exhaust temps, engine measuring block 112. If sensors still don't work, disconnect again and re-solder.

If both sensors work, take the lids off, and apply silicone gel to the circuitboard. I cleaned the board again before applying. Silicone protects from heat and moisture (obviously these sensors are fragile). Let it cure without the lid on.

Re-attach lids using your favorite adhesive (for me zip ties) and bolt back onto the firewall.

Treat yourself since you just saved $500 on new sensors and who knows how much on labor (sensor probes are attached to the downpipes $$$$)

:addict::mech:

P1054
November 5th, 2015, 22:08
Very nice write up! Pretty much exactly what I did. I've actually done it twice now, the first time I apparently didn't do a good enough job and they stopped working after about a month. The second time I actually completely removed the sensors from the car to work on them at a table, but it's a struggle getting the sensors off the downpipes. I have a manual transmission, I'm not sure if it's even possible with the auto.

lswing
November 6th, 2015, 17:03
Welcome! And thanks for the contribution. I'll grab some of your information and add it to my DIY page. http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Post some info and pics of the car if you get a chance. Also update your location in your profile, cheers.

sleeprs6
November 6th, 2015, 19:05
done :)
posted in the VIN thread

lswing
November 6th, 2015, 19:46
done :)
posted in the VIN thread

That is acceptable...nice looking ride!

gooseleg
November 6th, 2015, 19:46
I did this a while back, but instead of using the stock internals I purchased replacements from these (http://sidmotorsport.pl/pl/silnik/1634-modul-egt-42-bi.html) guys, and used this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T8R6LY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)non corrosive silicone.

sleeprs6
November 6th, 2015, 20:24
thanks, nice page! I used it to do this EGT job.

PCMacDr
November 10th, 2015, 01:53
Great Job SleepRS6

Good info

2000c43
November 10th, 2015, 15:57
Great write up. I did mine and it fixed the EGT problem.

bilko1
November 10th, 2015, 22:59
Good right up thanks, any tips on how to remove the black stuff they cover the circuits boards with on the later EGT sensors?

Fabio P
November 19th, 2017, 01:37
Thanks sleeprs6! Saved my life today - if it is hard for someone who is in USA to deal with EGTīs, can you imagine how it is to someone who is in Brazil (only 25 RS6 c5īs came to my country)? Your DIY tutorial was wonderfull!