PDA

View Full Version : Small timing belt roller bearing feedback, or what Audi calls the Relay Roller

hahnmgh63
November 5th, 2015, 01:08
There are 3 reputable brands out there and I'm not sure which Audi uses, maybe multiple suppliers. I see GMB, INA, and SKF. All are OEM suppliers for various parts. Just wondering if there is any feedback on which brand Audi uses and or which brand has knowingly failed or gotten sloppy after a few miles. I used the Audi part last time on both my RS as well as the wife's A8 and the bearing on the A8 (only one on the right side unlike the RS6 with on on each, and the A8 goes 75K for the timing belt change) got noisy and sloppy after 10~15K. I'm now more than willing to go over the 35K belt change with the RS6 but think I'm changing these out at no later than 25~35K.

DHall1
November 5th, 2015, 04:00
Thats interesting

No problems with mine ... oem

Never looked at the stamping on them

lswing
November 5th, 2015, 14:11
Thats interesting

No problems with mine ... oem

Never looked at the stamping on them

Is this not the small upper rollers with needle bearings that get loose around 15k miles? "OEM" for the new ones, replaced last time the area was open and they were wobbly, but not sure on total miles.

I've got the old ones and will try and look for any brand info.

bethridg
November 5th, 2015, 14:13
Below is what my first set of INA rollers looked like after 12k miles. Rubber deposits were probably caused by the cheap Conti belt. A little bit of corrosion on the inner lip. I didn't like the look of it and it started getting noisy when cold so I swapped them out for another set along with the Gates belt. They still rolled smoothly though. Haven't pulled the cover since getting it back together so no update yet.

http://i.imgur.com/xkh1Tzjh.jpg

hahnmgh63
November 5th, 2015, 14:35
I may just buy one of each, maybe put two different ones on the RS6 and the third on wifes A8, strictly run them for maybe 5K and check them for visible wear and runout, then a another 5K and the same. Figure out who makes the best as I know these have been a failure point in the past.