PDA

View Full Version : Good short but sweet article on Synthetic oils from PCA's website

hahnmgh63
November 4th, 2015, 04:06
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

JSRS6
November 5th, 2015, 15:54
MPT oil looks pretty good. I'm guessing a bunch of Porsche drivers use it?

MaxRS6
November 5th, 2015, 17:30
The 996 will be having a transfusion soon...
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/jgr-02406_xl.jpg?rep=False

ttboost
November 5th, 2015, 21:06
Interesting read. My new engine is still running the Joe Gibbs break in oil (BR30). But it is about to get its first drink of Synthetic this weekend.

MaxRS6
November 5th, 2015, 22:41
^New engine? Tell us more

ttboost
November 6th, 2015, 00:03
^New engine? Tell us more

Nothing to tell, as it's non Audi related....don't want to get yelled at again for "bragging" about my inferior GM product...:lovl: Just wanted to post my success with Joe Gibbs break-in oil. Awesome stuff.

DHall1
November 6th, 2015, 05:18
I could give a rats a$$ about non Audi content. Crap we all have a ton of experience to share and I enjoy reading it.

Anything you have to say...I am reading it.

Nothing to tell, as it's non Audi related....don't want to get yelled at again for "bragging" about my inferior GM product...:lovl: Just wanted t post my success with Joe Gibbs break-in oil. Awesome stuff.

Avus-RS6
November 6th, 2015, 08:18
I run DT40 in my Audis and 06 Carrera S. 126k on the RS6. 271k on the S4. 86k on the Carrera S. I was sold a couple years ago.

ttboost
November 6th, 2015, 12:33
I could give a rats a$$ about non Audi content. Crap we all have a ton of experience to share and I enjoy reading it.

Anything you have to say...I am reading it.

Well, if the Mayor says it's OK...(I'll try to make it short)

After round 1 of mods on my 09 CTS-V (jumped right to stage 2.5), we almost spun a bearing on the dyno. No one really knows why, but it was definitely oil starvation. Failed pump? It's happened before. My fault? It's happened before. Anyway, ruined everything. Needed a new LSA block, new LSA crank, but stepped up for forged pistons and rods. Got back on the dyno, 671/631 on 93 pump. Went to Atco last Monday for a track rental to shake it down. 8 passes, all in the tens, worst (first pass) was a 10.77, best was a 10.53. All between 132 & 133mph. Positive I can do better with a little more tuning. Identical car to mine, who has many, many passes, went 10.37. To keep it on topic, this is what I always wanted, a 10sec 4 door family mobile, which is why I bought a twin turbo V8 Audi. After my short ownership, I'm pretty sure that car would never see 10's, especially at the cost to do it. Not counting my engine, I have less than $7k in mods in my V. There are hundreds of cars with stock engines doing what I did. I just had bad luck. Not sure I could ever get there with my RS6. Do I miss my RS6? Sure do. Would I buy another one. Maybe? Do I love my V, Yep, so far. And I don't plan to drive it this Winter. And to be fair, I never drove my RS6 in the Winter either. Too many ijuts on the road...

MaxRS6
November 6th, 2015, 12:52
^Bummer about the bearing- Congrats on getting your rocket back to rocketing-Impressive numbers!

To continue the non-audi content- The 996 will need the break in oil first<winks>. Details to follow Spring/16. </winks>

ttboost
November 6th, 2015, 13:11
Yeah, oil is a big debate wherever you go. As I said earlier, I still have the Joe Gibbs break-in oil in now (BR30), but I've been doing my homework lately on what oil to run after. My tuner likes Amsoil Signature Series, which is what I have on deck. My engine builder likes the Joe Gibbs oil (LS30). My concern with the LS30 is the additives, which are good for your engine, but not for your cats (catalytic converter, not meow cats). I'm thinking I will run the Amsoil now (it will be my first synthetic), see what Blackstone thinks, then try the LS30?

Bigglezworth
November 6th, 2015, 22:08
Well, if the Mayor says it's OK...(I'll try to make it short)

After round 1 of mods on my 09 CTS-V (jumped right to stage 2.5), we almost spun a bearing on the dyno. No one really knows why, but it was definitely oil starvation. Failed pump? It's happened before. My fault? It's happened before. Anyway, ruined everything. Needed a new LSA block, new LSA crank, but stepped up for forged pistons and rods. Got back on the dyno, 671/631 on 93 pump. Went to Atco last Monday for a track rental to shake it down. 8 passes, all in the tens, worst (first pass) was a 10.77, best was a 10.53. All between 132 & 133mph. Positive I can do better with a little more tuning. Identical car to mine, who has many, many passes, went 10.37. To keep it on topic, this is what I always wanted, a 10sec 4 door family mobile, which is why I bought a twin turbo V8 Audi. After my short ownership, I'm pretty sure that car would never see 10's, especially at the cost to do it. Not counting my engine, I have less than $7k in mods in my V. There are hundreds of cars with stock engines doing what I did. I just had bad luck. Not sure I could ever get there with my RS6. Do I miss my RS6? Sure do. Would I buy another one. Maybe? Do I love my V, Yep, so far. And I don't plan to drive it this Winter. And to be fair, I never drove my RS6 in the Winter either. Too many ijuts on the road...Great numbers. Speaks well to what one can expect with an additional 50% more displacement. :)

ttboost
November 7th, 2015, 00:39
Yep. Go big or go home...:incar:

DHall1
November 7th, 2015, 05:16
To continue the non content...

Drum roll.....I now drive a Chevy everyday.

Yep

2500 duramax 4x4, crew cab short box. Company vehicle...demo. its fast as heck

Lol

^Bummer about the bearing- Congrats on getting your rocket back to rocketing-Impressive numbers!

To continue the non-audi content- The 996 will need the break in oil first<winks>. Details to follow Spring/16. </winks>

fukinavit
November 7th, 2015, 08:12
Fast 4 door sedan, the charger hellcat, thats alot of horse for the $$$, although the cts has the luxury edge for sure

ttboost
November 7th, 2015, 12:33
To continue the non content...

Drum roll.....I now drive a Chevy everyday.

Yep

2500 duramax 4x4, crew cab short box. Company vehicle...demo. its fast as heck

Lol

Funny, my new DD is also a 2015 2500HD crew cab short bed Duramax. I bought the High Country, you know,, because I'm special...Blue with the brown interior...loaded and love it.....

4everRS
November 8th, 2015, 01:23
Get a tuner on that Duramax and it's a total beast

ttboost
November 8th, 2015, 13:01
Yeah, I know. My 02 was an animal. Just sold it with 155k on it for $15k. All these local dealers are not mod friendly, so I need to wait until the warranty is up...then tune time for sure...

G2
November 9th, 2015, 00:55
Good general info..

Never thought I'd see Amsoil shown at the bottom. But then again, it's apparently written by the owner of another company making their own oil.

A great oil, or better oil, is not stipulated by 2 test methods but by 10-12 standardized tests. Be interesting to see a price comparison. Amsoil can be had at under $9 p/qt. Even low as under $6 p/qt for a high SAPS Euro spec 5-40.

Naturally there are many good oils available. Not sure most people will keep their cars long enough to find out. A spun bearing certainly isn't a good sign. I think we'll see more related issues, and the conundrum will be drawing the line between
oil and engine engineering issues. Such as reduced bearing surface areas but far higher specific output, often with forced induction-- massively increasing low RPM torque loads. And higher temps.

The newer the car the most oil related issues I see crop up. Predicting it'll just get worse as time goes on based on industry trends and demands.