PDA

View Full Version : Will Audi R8 front rotors work on our 2003 Audi RS 6?

jaymon
October 25th, 2015, 20:56
The image 128.33122 (420615301D) is the front rotor specs for a 2010 Audi R8 with a cost of $390 ea. from Audi and $365 from Europaparts.
The image 128.33082 (4B3615301E & 2A) is for our front rotors on the RS 6 with a cost of $447 ea. from Audi.
The R8 & RS 6 have the same brake pad part number from Hawk. The R8 front rotors are near 5lbs total lighter. The only difference I've noticed is that the R8 rotors don't seem to be directional. Same part number for both sides. My only uncertainty is the rotor offset.
Just curious if anyone has explored this avenue? Opens up options of the new wave style rotors & possible ceramic rotors.

Also, I'm in the thought faze of using the R8 rear brake calipers (420615407G & 420615408G), rotors (420615601F) & parking brake calipers (420615407K & 420615408K) to modify the rear brakes on my RS 6. Brake hoses may need to be custom made. It looks very possible with some custom brackets & cutting or removing/replacing the backing plate. Remove the R8 emblem on the caliper & replace with an RS emblem. At least this is my thoughts & theories as of now. :rs6kiss:

EINHORN
October 25th, 2015, 22:42
search. Big thread on various brakes and applicability

Other_Erik
October 26th, 2015, 14:43
My only uncertainty is the rotor offset.
Just curious if anyone has explored this avenue? Opens up options of the new wave style rotors & possible ceramic rotors.

Snipped for brevity...

I bought a set of RS5 wave rotors for my fronts, and they're working just fine thus far. My only complaint is the tendency to squeal at low speeds (stop sign to stop sign with traffic) with Hawk HPC Ceramic pads... Other than that, I haven't noticed any loss/gain in braking power, but I did also go to DOT 5.1 Severe duty fluid right after buying the beast.

O_E

GreggPDX
October 26th, 2015, 16:30
I actually just put a set of R8 front rotors on my car yesterday. They were slightly used take-offs that I bought from a local tuner shop. Fit fine and look pretty much exactly the same as the stock rotors, except, as mentioned already, they don't come in "left and right" flavors. They are the same rotor for either side.

Gregg

Bigglezworth
October 26th, 2015, 16:39
RS5, R8, & Gallardo front two piece rotors all fit OEM 2002-2004 RS6's yes. The RS5 & newer R8 rotors have the 'wave' look while the Gallardo rotors don't. Also, the amount of cross drilled holes on the non-RS6 brakes differ (fewer). Further the amount of isolation pins differ from RS6 rotors to Gallardo (not certain if that is the case for the R8 & RS6 rotors as I don't have a pair of those to cross compare against). Finally, there are some slight differences in overall thickness, and also the venting on the non-RS6 rotors are the same - in that they all vent the same way irrespective of which side of the car they are mounted on (i.e. only one part number for the front rotors on the RS5/R8/Gallardo while the RS6 has two part numbers because the RS6 venting is different for each side). There are some other subtle differences with the castings, but all bolt pattern & offset are the same.

There have been a number of threads on this already and a quick search would find them for you. I personally think this is one of those topics that would be nice to have in a consolidated post that is on the FAQ - or even better - an RS6 Wiki....;)

lswing
October 26th, 2015, 17:41
There have been a number of threads on this already and a quick search would find them for you. I personally think this is one of those topics that would be nice to have in a consolidated post that is on the FAQ - or even better - an RS6 Wiki....;)

I nominate you to keep a repository of documents that you can copy and past content from for those not wishing to use the Google, thanks! But in the meantime...

site:rs6.com r8 lambo rotors