PDA

View Full Version : Okay, why does nobody have a correct size battery?

LaserSVT
October 20th, 2015, 15:59
In my trials and tribulations I see my battery is not long enough. Its just over 13" long and so is every single one from all of my parts places no matter what brand. Car looks like it wants at least a 16" long battery.

Am I missing something?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/IMG_20151019_204511478_zps5cucvvat.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/IMG_20151019_204511478_zps5cucvvat.jpg.html)

Other_Erik
October 20th, 2015, 16:21
In my trials and tribulations I see my battery is not long enough. Its just over 13" long and so is every single one from all of my parts places no matter what brand. Car looks like it wants at least a 16" long battery.

Am I missing something?

Nope, nobody seems to stock the correct battery anywhere. I finally ended up getting one from Triple-A roadside service when the THIRD battery I'd gotten from Advanced Auto started leaking (the first two leaked as well) - $190 or thereabouts. I'll repost up when I get back out to the car and get you the _proper_ battery size.

O_E

LaserSVT
October 20th, 2015, 17:39
Thank you sir. The battery is new and AGM but I want the proper battery in there. Seen too many sliding batteries cause issues.

Bigglezworth
October 20th, 2015, 22:14
Drill and tap a new hole to receive the hold down clip for the smaller size.

cruzanrs6
October 21st, 2015, 00:06
I got a battery from Batteries Plus - 3 yr full wty, and 80 mth prorated for around $120. Made a spacer out of aluminum - fitment problem solved

cruzanrs6
October 21st, 2015, 00:28
Batteries Plus does still carry - $149.99 Model SLI49H8M

CBeau
October 21st, 2015, 03:16
I just went thru same thing. I got AGM one from Advanced, it was like $180 but I have wholesale account so maybe 15-20% more retail, and it is proper width side to side but short front back. I just placed battery front to back wise as far forward as it would go & left back hold-down plate off. The outside long side of battery goes under the mounting / hold-down lip in the battery tray anyway and with just the side hold-down plate on it isn't moving anywhere. The vent hose in rear is a little stretched / tighter but not a problem.

SteveKen
October 21st, 2015, 03:46
The RS6 uses the same battery that's in the 4.2 Q7.

They should be readily available at the dealer. They should have given you one for free but I wouldn't trust them to install it as they'd probably screw that up too.

LaserSVT
October 21st, 2015, 04:17
Drill and tap a new hole to receive the hold down clip for the smaller size.

Smart man. I knew there was a reason I liked you. :D

That's the same solution I came up with about 6 hours ago. Makes the nut a little harder to mess with but my GearWrenches have a lip to hold the nut so no problem. :)

Bigglezworth
October 21st, 2015, 16:10
I got a battery from Batteries Plus - 3 yr full wty, and 80 mth prorated for around $120. Made a spacer out of aluminum - fitment problem solved
Equally suitable solution. Just need to keep it from sliding around or tipping while you're racing around corners. Gravity works in your favour otherwise as it's not going to jump up out of place.

October 21st, 2015, 23:22
Drill and tap, that's what I did with both of mine....saves weight, saves $$

CBeau
October 22nd, 2015, 03:04
You all are hurting my feelings not acknowledging my prior post..... I'm telling you with the long side hold-down bracket alone the MFer ain't moving.... not a smidge. I know, "the engineers put the other bracket there for a reason", drill holes in your body if you want, suit yourself.

wm_sorg
July 2nd, 2016, 18:13
For what it's worth I recommend the Audi replacement. It has a four year free replacement warranty and is pro-rated after the end of year four. I just replaced my original battery. I believe it died because the car is not driven often and was not on a battery tender. Originally I tried a AC Delco replacement, but it was still too short by three inches. The Audi battery was only around $40.00 more. I agree it's a boat anchor, but the battery outperforms any others I have experienced especially if the car is not driven often.

LaserSVT
July 13th, 2016, 00:10
That POS Autozone battery just gave out a couple weeks ago but I ended up using an oreilly AGM battery. Been running them for a few years in my truck and other car and they work excellent. Didnt feel like driving 100 miles to Audi. lol

Stephencl
July 13th, 2016, 22:52
As Steve said above, Audi had the RS6 battery in stock, same as used in q7.... Also, VW has the same battery in stock as well. Was 14.00 less at my VW dealer, but the drive is further...

no reason to use anything else but the Audi/vw part in my opinion....

lswing
July 14th, 2016, 00:30
I can think of a few reasons to use a smaller battery...but they involve water and meth, which isn't healthy.

http://audirssix.com/images/rs6-tank-photo2.jpg?lbisphpreq=1