PDA

View Full Version : No Lights, indicators, No horn, No Fogs, however Hazards work

wes
October 15th, 2015, 06:12
Hi Guys, I've done a bit of a search, just want to clarify a few things, car is a RS6 C5.

Majority of the posts I pick up based on my primitive search methods are related to a pin on the ignition that may have burned, does anyone have an Idea as to what it may be? Fuses are all fine, relay's I have not checked yet, just need someone to point me in the correct direction, thanks in advance for the replies.

Not working on idle or anything:

-Headlights
-Fog Lights
-High Beams
-Indicators left and right
-Horn

Here's what does work:

-High Beams - only if stalk is pulled back
-Hazards work fine

If anyone has a a bit of a DIY thread I could follow or any further info, all the help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys/girls

ben916
October 15th, 2015, 16:32
Sounds like it is isolated to the steering column.

When I added the Komfort Blinker, I remember that the steering column is very full with wires and other black box items.

Interesting: Hazards work but turn signals don't... It is the same relay....

Other_Erik
October 15th, 2015, 17:20
Hi Guys, I've done a bit of a search, just want to clarify a few things, car is a RS6 C5.

Majority of the posts I pick up based on my primitive search methods are related to a pin on the ignition that may have burned, does anyone have an Idea as to what it may be? Fuses are all fine, relay's I have not checked yet, just need someone to point me in the correct direction, thanks in advance for the replies.

Not working on idle or anything:

-Headlights
-Fog Lights
-High Beams
-Indicators left and right
-Horn

Here's what does work:

-High Beams - only if stalk is pulled back
-Hazards work fine

If anyone has a a bit of a DIY thread I could follow or any further info, all the help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys/girls

Thinking back to common thread of things that aren't working, isn't there a relay/fuse panel under the hood and plastic cowl that controls all the above plus SAI pump and some other things you may not notice while idling in a driveway? IIRC from the wiring schematic, hazard flasher module in the dash is the relay, but it provides power through a fuse under the hood for turn signals, and straight wire (pins 6-9?) to activate hazards. High beams same deal, through the same relay that powers the fogs (so when you push forward on turn signal stalk, the fog lights turn off), but when pulled back momentary it's only powered via relay under the dash for momentary / flash-to-pass.

I'd be checking out that fuse/relay panel under the underhood cowl to see if something shook it loose.

Good luck!
O_E

JSRS6
October 16th, 2015, 04:55
it sounds like you have a short in your steering column. The hazards will still work if the turn signal doesn't work internally. Have you done any work under the driver side dash or spilled anything in that area?

Also, does it still drive and reverse? radio work?

wes
October 19th, 2015, 05:46
thanks for the replies guys, I have not had a chance to have a proper look just yet. Car drives fine, no issues at all, it reverses and changes gears without any issues. Will report back on my findings when I have a free weekend again to take a look-see.

fbatwork
October 20th, 2015, 01:48
If my memory serves me correctly I had the same symptoms - it was the hazard relay - fairly straight forward to change, it is the entire switch attached to the hazard button). Did you by chance use your hazards and then have the problem (that is what happened to me)...

wes
October 20th, 2015, 05:41
If my memory serves me correctly I had the same symptoms - it was the hazard relay - fairly straight forward to change, it is the entire switch attached to the hazard button). Did you by chance use your hazards and then have the problem (that is what happened to me)...

This sounds about right, whereabouts is the unit located?

Other_Erik
October 20th, 2015, 11:50
This sounds about right, whereabouts is the unit located?

Middle of the dash above your head unit, the red triangle. Carefully pry the surround (6 clips hold it in place, which love to break), then you should be able to jam a pick into the left side (near the traction control button) to depress the left squeeze clip to pull out the hazard switch/relay. There's another squeeze clip on the right side, but it should still pop out without needing to further disassemble (removing the cupholder).

Part number is 4B0 941 509 C - don't get aftermarket unless you like wondering whether your turn signals will flash fast, normal, slow, or not at all randomly...

HTH
O_E

wes
October 20th, 2015, 11:57
why would the hazard relay stop the Headlights and fogs from working tho?

Other_Erik
October 20th, 2015, 12:03
why would the hazard relay stop the Headlights and fogs from working tho?

Because Audi and electrical gremlins go hand in hand, moreso even than Porsche...

fbatwork
October 20th, 2015, 17:27
My understanding is that the signal lights use a relay that is integrated into the hazards...