PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid change vs. flush

CBeau
October 12th, 2015, 04:43
I just did a trans fluid & filter change using the BND fluid (that's another story.... it better work..... that is some seriously expensive sh-t!!... did the motor oil too...$523 for trans + motor oils and filters and 32 oz. of Aces IV.... yowza!!).

I read few threads on here regarding procedure including the DIY and the Bentley manual.

All went par for the course but confused on Bentley says "new fill"= 10.4 qt.,"change" = 3.7-4.2 qt.

The DIY write-up here says in his experience the fluid + filter "change" procedure takes 6 qt. which is about exactly what mine took. DIY says he also repeats change after driving about 20 miles to remove as much old fluid out of TC as possible. If repeated as such would that be considered a "flush"? Bentley says nothing about "flush". DIY also says if do double "change" put new filter on at second fill, in which case I screwed up and just wasted my $70 filter because I already put it on. BND did send me 3 gal. = 12 qt.s and I just told him what I was doing and left it to him to send me recommended supplies, maybe double "change" is why he sent me 12 qt.s instead of 6?? Either that or just offloading an extra 6 qt.s on me of the $14.95 per qt. super fluid.

My car now has 93k mi.s, is old VIN, never had trans or TC change (I don't think) and service records I don't have a lot of, but I bought from orig. owner who I know well and is a real gearhead / Porsche Club racer & instructor etc. and I know he kept it well serviced at a combo of dealer and indy I just don't have many records... should get what I can from Audi. Trans has always worked fine for me. The old trans fluid def. wasn't red like the BND but it didn't smell bad. There was fair amount of metallic sludge on magnets. I've had car for about two years but only put about 5k mi.s on it. I drive it reasonably hard but don't totally flog it, esp. the trans, and no powertrain mods... I'm fine with it how it is knowing trans limits / problems... I have other cars much better to abuse and molest for that. I just thought trans service would be good idea having read up etc. But if I cause a ain't-broke-don't-fix-it type problem by cross contaminating fluids etc. I'll be really not happy. I drove maybe a half mile casually after change and seems to be working fine. Will test more tomorrow.

Questions :
1 - should I really really do the double change to avoid cross contamination of old and new fluids (based on that theory seems there will always be some old fluid in the mix no matter how many changes you do, just a lesser and lesser amount / percentage)? And if so should I really really buy another new filter??

2 - assuming double change is highly recommended / a must do, should I really not drive much more than 20 miles or can I drive it for a while (couple hundred miles or whatever) and then do second change?

3 - on "change" vs. "new fill" vs. "flush" quantities, I assume "new fill" means new new all parts new and dry fill? Bentley says nothing about what "change" means (that I saw), does that mean change without changing filter = all I can figure, and would seem to be a pretty pointless procedure? And as in DIY write-up at 6 quarts that's a fluid and filter change which is in between the "new fill" & "change" capacities in the Bentley manual?

4 - Is there a "flush" procedure other than the double change as outlined in the DIY write-up? With some kind of pressurized evacuation of old trans fluid or something? If so would that set the stage for a "new fill" as mentioned in Bentley? And if so would that imply that with just a "change" there is old fluid lurking in places other than the TC, lines or whatever? I just can't reconcile the varied procedure quantities, 10.4 qt. vs. 3.7-4.2 qt. vs. 6 qt.

5 - How much potential is there that the fluid change alone could cause problems, i.e. change in viscosity where old fluid didn't leak past seals etc. but the new might? If I cause myself problems by trying to be nice to the car it will be up for sale to highest bidder pronto.... half kidding.

Thanks in advance.

hahnmgh63
October 12th, 2015, 15:48
I'd say drive it another 10K miles then do another change with the filter. I change mine every 20K with Redline, just so happens I have a 10 gallon drum of it though an use it in 3 different cars.

6172crew
October 12th, 2015, 21:20
Im going to be doing the same thing to mine, using the BND. He told me to use a compressor to get rid of fluid in thew line and cooler. He never mentioned doing it twice.

DHall1
October 13th, 2015, 03:59
I dont like taking lines off that dont need to come off.

Just drain and refill on a set routine noted above 20k