PDA

View Full Version : Bulletproofing the transmission and drivetrain.

LaserSVT
September 26th, 2015, 22:51
I really like to plan out my builds and I am a HP junkie. Every time I buy a fast car I just have to push it farther. It is much easier in the American car world and I have built several 700+ RWHP cars and a couple over a 1000. Cobras and Corvettes are simple machines and easy to enhance. If you run into an issue there is a HUGE resource pool to help solve it and parts are plentiful. This beast, well shes a whole new animal to me. I had NEVER seen one on the road and mine was the first I had ever touched. When I first sat in her the first time my trousers twitched and it was love at first site. I really like how to most its just a gussied up Passat. Even a couple of my customers saw it sitting there and commented on the color but figured it was just another 6 banger FWD family sedan. I am just fine with that. Makes the butthurt better when you destroy them. :D

She has been gone over stem to stern and every issue has been addressed and shes been fully serviced. The car is in excellent shape and after I just enjoy her how she is until spring I do have much in store for her. I want to make her one of the fastest out there without tearing into the engine. I want it to be a semi-hypercar. I realize 1000hp is out of reach without some serious engine work but still am unsure of what the motor can take before something lets loose so will continue to research that. I do realize the transmission is the weakest link and I wish to start planning for an enhanced version when I get ready for the big boy toys.

I do not want a stick. I want the car to stay an automatic but a capable one. So first let me lay out the plan and then I hope to get some ideas for a bulletproof drive-train.

Now:
1. Get car back from Audi and do 3rd gear pull data log and figure out what tune I have plus access the TCU to see if its been opened and chipped.
2. New IC hoses and clamps as mine are OEM and looking tired.
3. Just enjoy it for a while and stop worrying.

6-12 months:
1. Larger Intercoolers. Not sure if going with Wagner (nice looking complete kit), Apikol or SMR. I am leaning to the SMR due to price and they look great.
2. Meth Injection. Again, unsure of which one but most likely Snow or AEM. I like the 5 gallon AEM tank so I dont have to remember to fill it all the time.
3. Push tune a bit more
4. Apikol diff mount.
5. Forge Diverters

12-24 months:
1. Order the best turbo kit that can be suggested (or afforded)
2. Order all fuel system upgrades like injectors and pump
3. Trans overhaul/replacement
4. Install after all collected
5. Scare some passengers

So now that we have an idea of what order I plan to do this I need to figure out what to do about the transmission. I have looked at the level10 and they seem like a good setup for $4300 and can handle 700HP. As stated before, not sure how far I can push the engine without going inside but I assume its right around 700hp. The debate then becomes do I just send mine in for the level10 upgrade or spend $2000 more and then sell mine assuming I don't hurt it if its worth $2000 or more?
As an alternative my transmission guy said it will run me $3000 for him to rebuild it but that would be all stock stuff. Are there places that sell beefed up parts to help with the weak links in the trans? I know a few guys in the American crowd that have sent off some of their parts like the input and output shaft and a few other common weak metal parts for cryogenic treatment (not sure on cost) and now have 4R70Ws and 4L80Es that handle 1500+hp without issue where as 1000-1200hp is normally their limits.
Any thoughts on that?

What about the rest of the drivetrain? Are there stronger axles or driveshafts out there or are they even needed?

So with proper cooling, turbos that can make much more boost without turning into flame pumps, proper fuel system and whatever other cooling upgrades I discover, does anyone know just how far HP wise the engine can be pushed? Not looking to go to 100% of its limits. Need a little margin for error so for example if it can handle 700 max I would only want to push to 650. Cars are so rare and so few try to get everything out of them it is kind of hard to find what its limitations are online.

And just because a little inspiration never hurts........

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/f_zpsc8y2mqpl.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/f_zpsc8y2mqpl.jpg.html)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/d_zps2v8vqmlb.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/d_zps2v8vqmlb.jpg.html)

Fastguy
September 27th, 2015, 15:18
There have been running debates on everything you mention. From hp numbers or possibilities, trans building, etc. I've heard nightmare stories about level 10. My brother has his s4 done by them more than 9 years ago and he's still beating the hell out of it. If you do a google search you will see all kinds of stories about them having terrible customer service to down right fraudulent activity. I don't know about that as I only have experience with that single s4. If you choose them, just be careful.

i had my a6 440 chp (as to be careful not call it stage 3) done by 517trans. I updated the valve body and torque converter. I am still careful with it, especially at shift points, but it's still running after about a year. Their customer service is basically non existent; at least in my case. Sam demanded I send my torque converter core back to him within days of receiving the updated tc-which I gladly did. In return he would simply refund my deposit. At that point he completely ignored me. Basically stole my refund. I told him I would post to every forum I belong to after waiting about six months of attempting to get my money back. I guess the few hundred dollars was worth more than his reputation. Enough about that.

As as for the turbos, I think most say without some modification to the manifolds and custom down pipes nothing else is going to work. They say the space it too tight (and its is very tight). That's said, anything can be done if your wallet it fat enough. You could even relocate the turbos if you had a good fab shop. I went with srm larger turbos. I have high hopes for them. I guess the compressor as well as the hot side are both slightly modified while keeping the same size frame so they mount like oe turbos. They are supposed to efficiently put out over 20 psi. That combined with water meth and open dps ought to yield some nice increases.

I think your options for beefing up the transmission are going to be very limited. I don't think you will be able to put anywhere near 700 hp through that tip without turning it into a pile of scrap. This is assuming you even find a place who can build it stronger. I got to drive one the other day that is on a base tune with my same components and the torque is unreal. I don't see how the manual will even stand up to this when it fully tuned and running the water meth.

btw: I love that color(mine is the same) I am considering doing a "black optics" thing with the this trim pieces. How do you think that would lol with the color of our cars?

6172crew
September 27th, 2015, 15:41
I was considering running the fluid that is made by the guy who is making the oil for our cars, I can't remember the company but he also mentioned a modified filter.

As as far as my car goes I think it is stock. I have a ross tech now but haven't plugged it in, the gauges are out and have been sent to have the panel fixed because of missing pixels.

LaserSVT
September 27th, 2015, 18:49
Fastguy, I hadn't thought of blacking out the trim. Certain colors I think it works well but do not believe our color to be one of them. I an debating about those black housing headlights though.

As for the trans I know level10 claims 700hp ability out of it but I hadn't heard of their customer service issues. One thread mentioned someone saying "Look out for level10" followed by a couple other guys with the transmissions stating that theirs have been trouble free.

Other_Erik
September 28th, 2015, 12:12
Not necessarily speaking to the transmission (as that is the weak link in the chain) - the BCY engine is identical to the Gumpert Apollo IIRC, and that pushes ~850hp, so there's your verification that the engine is not the lowest common denominator.

There was a thread on rs246 awhile back about a guy who rebuilt his own C5 RS6 transmission, took his time ordering all the best parts, etc... The good news is that there _are_ some better parts to be had. The bad news is that:
1) Clearance inside wrt friction plates and whatnot - basically nonexistent. Going from worn plates to brand new, is basically millimeter difference scale, nominal increase in capacity for wear/tear.
2) Hardened parts (shafts, bearings, etc...) aren't necessarily what is holding us back. Pressures inside the transmission are basically already at the limit for solenoids and we're already asking a lot of what we have. Without completely redesigning, we're not looking at a very good platform to work with.
3) All in all, you may be better off looking for an adaptation to a newer, more efficient platform. The new 7-speed tips can be built for higher hp/torque output engines (as evidenced by the V10 RS6 Avant's in Europe), but that's a pretty tall order - as in, may be cheaper to relocate to Germany rather than trying to build a Frankenstein here...

Not poo-poo'ing the idea, just saying it's a very steep uphill climb with the 5HP24...

O_E

mrdave
September 28th, 2015, 15:02
I was considering running the fluid that is made by the guy who is making the oil for our cars, I can't remember the company but he also mentioned a modified filter.

http://bndautomotive.com/

6172crew
September 30th, 2015, 15:23
http://bndautomotive.com/

Thanks Dave, thats the company. I need to call him and order up some fluids soon.

6172crew
October 23rd, 2015, 03:15
Thanks Dave, thats the company. I need to call him and order up some fluids soon.
I finally got around to making my order a couple of weeks ago, I had the car down for extended maintenance. The timing belt job, valve covers kept me pretty busy but would have finished a couple of weeks ago but I orderd the wrong cam bar, and forgot to order the esentric pulls tool. I've been fighting a leak near my passenger valve cover, but I'm hoping I got it now.

im sending the car off to a shop to have the alignment done, in addition to having the suspension (rear) loosened up and retorqued under its own weight, hope to get her to sit lower in the arse.

i added a blue tooth module to the factory head unit, replaced the center info panel, and some other issues that the prior owners didn't deal with like door panel broken, windshield pump replaced, power steering line leaking (btw, does anyone know why the have restricted rings inside the line?). CV axle, headlight switch, mirror switch and cleaned the fender wells up from the cv boot and the oil leak, it had cakes of oily mud under and in every crevice.

at the same time the car is getting aligned I'm having my guy service all the differensials and the transmission with the BHD fluids, I'll deal with the oil myself.

im hoping to have a tune for her soon, but after running the vagcomm I have some misfires due to either the coils, or most likely leaky mafs so I ordered up the kit to replace those seals as well. I picked up the car pretty cheap for $16k and having only 85k but she was neglected and I'm paying for it on the back end.