PDA

View Full Version : Any way to confirm TCU chipped?

RS Sick
September 23rd, 2015, 02:03
Original owner had APR EMCS installed way back in 2004. It didn't work when I bought the call so I called APR and spoke with Justin (i think). Anyway, when they agreed to do a warranty transfer, he said all of their ECU upgrades came with TCU upgrade as well and he wasn't sure if I should send that in along with the ECU. They determined they were "confident" the TCU tune was fine and I only sent in the ECU.

I've had my suspicions that the TCU was stock since i bought it so i pulled it out tonight and cracked her open. No soldered chip installed at all so i have a couple questions.

Are all TCU upgrades (MTM, Viper, Revo, etc.) a physical visible chip, or can they be flashed?

Any way to confirm via vagcom?

Could a stock TCU intervene with power from a tuned ECU, such as TCU sees too much torque and somehow cuts power?

LaserSVT
September 23rd, 2015, 02:47
Same question I have wondered myself. I do not wish to derail but where is the TCU? Under the ECU? I have been thinking of pulling mine and checking to see whats what. Trans holds gears to 2500 no matter how gentle (or off) I am with the throttle and is always eager to downshift.

JSRS6
September 23rd, 2015, 03:15
If you are sitting in the passenger seat, it is under the carpet under your left knee.

RS Sick
September 24th, 2015, 00:16
APR asked me to send in TCU and ECU (in case they need it to "marry" together). No hassle when i called, hopefully I'll answer some of my own questions.

I'll check if the shift points are higher/faster by comparing old/new data logs once I get it back.

I'll also crack it open to see if there's a soldered chip.

ttboost
September 24th, 2015, 00:25
Soldered chip is the only way to do it. Just check your TCU, if the label is cut, someone has been in there. No other reason to be in there...