PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into sound systems at all?

LaserSVT
September 16th, 2015, 06:28
I am not talking a ground pounding, earth shattering boom box or those idiots with the ice cream truck PA horns behind their grills. Just real and pure sound. Something Audi stereos (until recently) have lacked? Kinda curious if there are any other audiophiles here? I have something pretty special in my truck but when I first saw this Audis pictures and saw its amplifiers I knew this car was destined to be mine. I am a McIntosh fanatic and this thing has two of their biggest amps although they are only 400 watts each lol. Its all a bit old but its also some seriously great stuff which worked out perfect for me since I would be torn every check between performance enhancements and audio upgrades. The tech is JUST current enough to do what I need it to do.

Ill show you mine, you show me yours. I will note the Alpine subwoofer is coming out in favor of a Boston Acoustics G510 10" which IMHO is the best 10" you can get if you like pure quality.

Source: Alpine IVA-W205
Processor: Alpine PXA-H701
Navigation: Alpine KCE-900E & NVE-N872A
Sat: Alpine Sirius but have no idea what model, its big and old.
Aux: Has RCA rear seat system and KCE-422i iPod adapter.
Front Speakers: Morel Elate 503 Active
Rear Speakers: Morel Elate 502 Active
Subwoofer: Alpine SWR-1022D
Amplifiers: Two McIntosh MCC406Ms (will call Mac1 and Mac2)

The DSPs F1 channels feed 1&2 on Mac1 and use the DSPs crossover high pass at 12db @ 4k and run the front tweeters.
The DSPs F2 channels feed Mac1s channels 3-6 band passed 12db at 80hz high passed and 4khz low pass. The amps internal crossover takes care of the front mid/mid-bass. Channels 5&6 run the front 5.25" to 500hz and then channels 3&4 run the 3" mids from 500hz to 4khz.
Problem here is my time alignment effects the dash mounted mids and door mounted mid bass at the same time delay so setting is tricky. The tweeters time alignment can be set separately.

The DSPs rear channels feed Mac2 channels 1-4 with a 12db high pass @ 100hz and then Mac2s crossovers take over with channels 1&2 feeding the tweeters with a 4khz high pass and channels 3&4 feeding the rear 5.25" mids with a 4khz low pass.
The DSP feeds its sub output to Mac2s channels 5&6 with an 18db low pass at 80hz. They are bridged at 4 ohms to the Alpine SWR-1022DThat 400 watts is not nearly enough for that Alpine sub. It wants power!
I hope to have the sub changed out by this weekend for a Boston G51044 that will probably have its cone changed in favor of the G5104. I know that sub can do well on 200 watts but 400 would be better. :D Wish the McIntosh could support a 2 ohm bridged load.
The subwoofer enclosure is custom formed to the car and is somewhere between .68 and .75 by my best calculations. It has apx 3/4lb of pollyfill in it. I know the Boston works perfect (for my taste) in a .51-.61 box and after figuring in basket displacement it may be just right. I know t .51 I like a little pollyfill and at .61 I like it empty, thats just me. Ya'll do what you like. :)

I still have not pulled the door cards to see how the 5.25s are mounted and if there is any sound material in there but will soon.
Now the dang Alpine equipment has somehow gotten me to like it after I figured it all out. Yeah its old but its clean and the DSP aint half bad. 3 way active front would be better but this works. My biggest issue is I want the KCE-422i gone and replaced with a KCA-620M but cant find one to save my life! I thought I was okay with the iPod interface as it navigates nice but it does not charge the phone and that means I have to remember to pull it out every other day to charge it. I want to change to a simple USB and I can live happily with what I have. :)

So does anyone know where I can find a KCA-620M USB adapter?

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11057307_10205293261634376_6496135936612060713_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/12017453_10205293262434396_977111119926279960_o.jp g
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-atn1/t31.0-8/11707951_10205293263034411_1685988833234688594_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/12010598_10205293263914433_8891474803587671158_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/12006516_10205293265354469_5398985250007245276_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12034428_10205293266594500_7633697714268966425_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12006554_10205293267314518_1271996740692536912_o.j pg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/IMG_20150913_230341299_zpsvqe9ntdq.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/IMG_20150913_230341299_zpsvqe9ntdq.jpg.html)
http://cdn-w.v12soft.com/photos/g012LNO/8342746/File0_010946_800600.jpg

Other_Erik
September 16th, 2015, 12:12
Bill

You are bordering on obsessed with your beast - not that that's a bad thing, I was/am the same way, I just don't have the wealth of knowledge you do. Sorry I don't have anything to add to the conversation, the closest I've gotten to car stereo work was replacing my SymphonyII with an RNS-E, and even that ended up costing me a year and some change of fiddling to fix a simple power drain issue connected to the old non-functional audi telematics system. It sounds like there's a ton of money in audio upgrades in yours, just wondering what your take is on Bang and Olufsen (since new Audi's have 14+ speaker B&O systems as an audio upgrade option). If it weren't for the down payment necessary on a house here in the DC area, I'd be looking at upgrading the speakers and especially the stock anemic "subwoofer" in the trunk (a pair of 5.25" domes does not equal subwoofer, even if it is only responding to the 8-200hz signaling). I guess I'm looking at my system as the simplest I can work with, and I'm happy-ish with what I have. You've got some real audiophile gear, and after reading all about what you picked up, you've got no idea how jealous I am.

Regards
O_E

kruat
September 16th, 2015, 16:55
Well my RS audio is all stock, which blows btw. But my F350 has a decent setup in it.
Source: Pioneer 910BT (I think...double din nav unit)
Component amp: JL Audio 300/4. Bridged to 2-channel 150wx2
Componets: Focal P165V30 6.5" Woofers mounted in stock location, whole door has sound deading applied. Tweeters mounted in A piller, angled toward windshield to reflect toward cabin.
Sub amp: JL Audio 500/1
Sub: JL Audio 10W6 is a small custom enclosure, sealed.

All of which I installed, minus the components. Honestly, to my un trained ears, sounds great. Very clean, well rounded. Both amps are the original JLs, so about 10-12 years old. I'm looking to upgrade them soon, along with the sub and enclosure, which is also 10 years old.

Now my wife wants a similar sound in the RS, so I'm designin a system for it, but keeping cost and space the number 1 concern. Might end up with a RNS-E, just to keep OEM look. Then probably some sort of signal processor. Thinking about one of the newer digital amps, maybe a JL 900/5. Want a small amp foot print. Focal components, would love 6.5s for the better midbass, but probably will end up with 5.25 for ease of installation. Sub I haven't decided, as well as location of sub.

LaserSVT
September 16th, 2015, 17:56
JL Amps are wonderful amps and the original Slash series was one of their very best. My truck had a 300/4 and a 500/1 in it and then I upgraded to a 450/4 and a 1000/1 and loved them. I just swapped them out for some Mosconi Zero class amps and they are just spectacular. Best amps I have ever heard. I also went through Focal and Boston and Hertz and Illusion and Quart for speakers in the truck but ended up using Sinfoni Maestoso mids and tweeters and took second place in my very first ever competition and we didn't have the system dialed in yet and I only had half my sub power available due to a faulty gain control on the 1850 watt Mosconi Zero3.
I love the stereo in that truck. Its the best I have ever installed.

The Audi is closeish but I have lots more tuning to do and the Audi only has 1/4 the power of the truck and half as many subwoofers that are also smaller. LOL

LaserSVT
September 16th, 2015, 18:04
Bill

You are bordering on obsessed with your beast - not that that's a bad thing, I was/am the same way, I just don't have the wealth of knowledge you do. Sorry I don't have anything to add to the conversation, the closest I've gotten to car stereo work was replacing my SymphonyII with an RNS-E, and even that ended up costing me a year and some change of fiddling to fix a simple power drain issue connected to the old non-functional audi telematics system. It sounds like there's a ton of money in audio upgrades in yours, just wondering what your take is on Bang and Olufsen (since new Audi's have 14+ speaker B&O systems as an audio upgrade option). If it weren't for the down payment necessary on a house here in the DC area, I'd be looking at upgrading the speakers and especially the stock anemic "subwoofer" in the trunk (a pair of 5.25" domes does not equal subwoofer, even if it is only responding to the 8-200hz signaling). I guess I'm looking at my system as the simplest I can work with, and I'm happy-ish with what I have. You've got some real audiophile gear, and after reading all about what you picked up, you've got no idea how jealous I am.

Regards
O_E

B&O makes spectacular stuff and its quite nice in the Audi but far from perfect. For the $5000 option you can do better aftermarket. Problem is the new cars stereos are so integrated that you cant change the source unit. Most people now use the stock stereo going to a Mosconi 6to8. It converts the signal to work with aftermarket amps, has full time alignment, eight 31 band EQs and many other features that put it on the top of the pack. Get some Sinfoni components (about $1600 a pair) and a nice C12XL subwoofer (about a grand) and a big 6 channel amp and a sub amp. The 6 channel will run your front speakers active and the rears passive. That setup would be quite spectacular.

And yes, I am way too into car audio. My Mosconi amps are over $6000 and even the McIntosh in the Audi are $3000 each with a $2600 front speaker system. But when you hear them everyones jaw drops. You can hear a song you heard a thousand times and it will be like you never heard it before. The little details that normally get lost are right there with you. You hear the singer take a breath between verses, you hear the pick hit the string before its strummed, you hear the drum stick slid arcoss the edge of the drum. Pianos sound like a piano and not a speaker mimicking a piano.

Other_Erik
September 16th, 2015, 18:39
B&O makes spectacular stuff and its quite nice in the Audi but far from perfect. For the $5000 option you can do better aftermarket. Problem is the new cars stereos are so integrated that you cant change the source unit. Most people now use the stock stereo going to a Mosconi 6to8. It converts the signal to work with aftermarket amps, has full time alignment, eight 31 band EQs and many other features that put it on the top of the pack. Get some Sinfoni components (about $1600 a pair) and a nice C12XL subwoofer (about a grand) and a big 6 channel amp and a sub amp. The 6 channel will run your front speakers active and the rears passive. That setup would be quite spectacular.

And yes, I am way too into car audio. My Mosconi amps are over $6000 and even the McIntosh in the Audi are $3000 each with a $2600 front speaker system. But when you hear them everyones jaw drops. You can hear a song you heard a thousand times and it will be like you never heard it before. The little details that normally get lost are right there with you. You hear the singer take a breath between verses, you hear the pick hit the string before its strummed, you hear the drum stick slid arcoss the edge of the drum. Pianos sound like a piano and not a speaker mimicking a piano.

So... what you're saying is.... you want to trade RS6's with me so you have a good unmolested starting point (not throwing away the components in your current beast that you don't like as much as the better stuff)... Right? :)

My hearing is already -30dB thanks to the hundreds of heavy metal concerts I've been to, so I'm more concerned about feeling the good bass and being able to hear the radar detector than actually hearing the music. Even then, hearing the engine and spool of the turbos is a lot more exhilarating to me unless you're talking long long road trip (like I'll have driving down to you - 1400 miles, probably going to be split up into 3 days)

O_E

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 03:27
Yeah long road trips need good tunes. On the twisty country roads that we have soooo many of it much nicer to open the roof and windows, shut down the stereo and play with the flappy paddles. The engines tone with the exhaust I have sounds like its straight out of a movie. Ya know when they alter the sound so it has an exotic growl to it that almost sounds digital. Like a flat plane V-12 married a Ford DOHC 5.0 and had a DBS exhaust thrown on it. Love it.
As for changing stereo parts, its already starting. LOL Just couldn't deal with that Alpine sub and got luck finding my all time favorite 10", the Boston Acoustics G510. Utterly superb subwoofer.Since the Audi is being towed off to the dealer (118 miles) tomorrow for who knows how long while they confirm if I know what I am talking about or if just an average idiot that thinks they know what they are talking about. Once they see I am right they should replace the fuel tank for free but I know they are going to try and weasel something out of me.
So that means I can't play with my unicorn that showed up today. The one stereo component I most regret selling. I lucked out and found a NIB G510-44 (soon to be converted to a G510-4) that is just perfect. I never thought I would see a new one. Finding out Boston makes replacement cones for them again is just gravy. Thats one very cool thing is they are rebuild-able if you break something. I have a few people with clean used ones for much cheaper and am probably going to get a second one just in case. If I update the head-unit I can get rid off all the components in the tool compartment and move the jack then make a mirror imag box of the passenger side. I am also going to order over $500 in spare 4 ohm, cones so i can get a couple decades of service out of them.
I know we all have different tastes in subs. Some love XBL2, some hate it. Some want hard kick at 30hz and some want them to play notes you cant hear. For me I have never heard a 10" I like better. Key words "I like better" I can not wait to pull the Type R and put her in. I did forget how massive the basket is and even though its the same depth as the Type r sub I have I think the motor structure may be too big around. Have to then decide if I want to invert it or make a spacer. Actually the MDF one they send to protect the surround is about perfect! In the last picture with it sitting cone down it is on the MDF spacer.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/t31.0-8/11118369_10205299904280438_3756177647500694275_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/t31.0-8/12038896_10205299875199711_1498859648895465534_o.j pg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/12027239_10205299874679698_4891960007466729757_o.j pg

Bigglezworth
September 17th, 2015, 04:49
Clearly you aren`t concerned about trimming down phat on the ride with the additional 200+lbs of added stereo equipment weight. I used to have a multi driver, multi amp system in my car that was all Soundstream, Eclipse, etc. Grew up and put the money in to quality audio in the house instead. The Bose is lack luster, but it does what it needs to for the time I spend in the car.

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 05:15
Well since I was 14 I had the same two hobbies. Cool cars and out of this world sound systems. I dont build earth movers, my systems sound like you are there in the recording studio with the band. I want it set up as if I were at home sitting on the couch in front of my old Infinity Beta IRS Vs powered by my Carver Silver Seven amplifiers. I LOVE great sounding stereos and some great classic rock. There is only one 10" subwoofer in the whole system. I am not autocrossing or drag racing. I want the ultimate saloon. I want power, comfort, room, features, bank vault quiet, superior sound system, excellent cornering and a ride that does not jar your fillings loose.
Clearly I am building MY dream car. Its what makes me happy and I work hard for my money so I buy what makes me happy.

Now I am not a wealthy man so I don't have a large section of land with no neighbors or even one of those Mcmansions that are really soundproofed. Working class neighborhood. Some mornings I hear my neighbor fart as he wakes up. I cant enjoy my music at pleasurable volumes without disturbing everyone and I like my quiet and safe little neighborhood. Now in the car I can play it as loud as I want it and allow long drives to fade to nothing as i listen to my favorite music really loud.

My trucks stereo is pure accurate sound quality but with amazing speakers and a few thousand watts of power. Long before clipping the stereo is so loud that you can yell at the top of your lungs to the passenger and they will not hear you yet the truck is so sound deadened that with the windows up and doors closed at the same volume you can stand 2' away and whisper to each other.
Thats what I like. To enjoy my music without bothering others.

Neatthing about us car nuts is we all have our own little seasoning of crazy. :)

nistah
September 17th, 2015, 16:10
looks like you have a really well thought out system in your beast, McIntosh is supposed to be top of the line stuff and looks pretty cool as well. Would love to hear it in action!

I dabble in car audio my in daily driver I'm currently running a set of old school Rockford Fosgate Punch Amps: a 200ix which is bridged to a kicker solo baric sub in sealed enclosure and a 100ix to power two set of MB Quart speakers components up front and coaxial in the rear. I've got a farad capacitor also by rockford to help reduce distortion and stabilize voltage and help run the amps more efficiently while protecting my battery and alternator. The kicker sub pumps out nice well rounded bass with no overhang and you can feel it in the car. My RS6 is currently limited to running the RNS-E head unity upgrade as I like how it retains the OEM+ factory look on the dash....

Not sure why but the amps made in the 1980's-1990's seem to be way underrated (commonly reffered to as cheater amps) and do not even compare to the current models. Why is that??

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 16:25
Sounds like a great little setup. I like old Quart and Rockford stuff.

Capacitors on the other hand, I never use them. They don't hurt anything but also don't really help. If you have lights flickering its usually due to too small of wires. Doing large ground wire upgrades help.

Bigglezworth
September 17th, 2015, 18:57
The large basket on the Boston reminds me of what I used to run with the SS10 Reference subs 15 years ago. Not my photo below, but you get the idea. Double stacked magnet for increased driver throw.

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 19:07
The double stacked magnets are for a stronger magnetic field for the motor. Really high end stuff use neodymium magnets due to their small size yet much stronger fields. They don't usually use them on subwoofers because yo usually have room for the larger ferrite magnets.
My 12" subs are 3" deep and my Boston is almost 7" deep yet the 12's have 5 more mm of xmax (throw) compared to the Boston. The stroke on that particular Soundstream isn't as far as one of those magnets.
It is a great subwoofer though.

6172crew
September 17th, 2015, 20:31
I think I saw your car for sale in TX, or at least one with the same gear inside. I put in a bid but it was gone. I ended up with a Silver one and stock Symphony lol.

Bigglezworth
September 17th, 2015, 20:39
Really high end stuff use neodymium magnets due to their small size yet much stronger fields. .I'm hoping you meant to say 'current technology' vs. "really high end stuff"... Remember there's a 15yr+ difference in age for what you are referencing and perhaps my age is starting to show, but neodymium didn't exist in mainstream speakers - much less audiofile products 15yrs+ ago. It was only in the late 90's that neodymium magnets made sense from a cost perspective to start using in drivers.

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 21:27
I'm hoping you meant to say 'current technology' vs. "really high end stuff"... Remember there's a 15yr+ difference in age for what you are referencing and perhaps my age is starting to show, but neodymium didn't exist in mainstream speakers - much less audiofile products 15yrs+ ago. It was only in the late 90's that neodymium magnets made sense from a cost perspective to start using in drivers.

It existed back then but only Focal was using it.... and Rainbow I think. I was not calling the SS10 or the SS12 a cheap or low end sub. I had them in several cars and probably installed close to 200 of them. They were nick named the Velvet Hammer if memory serves. Fantastic sound. But they were a mid level sub at the time. Rockfords new Power series and JLs just released W7s were higher end as was Image Dynamics. Sorry, I forgot to mention I have just over 4000 installs done (about 200 high end) and worked at the top shop in Maui for a decade. I have played with it all.
Back then Soundstream was my go-to brand. Spectacular amps and subs all around. You would be surprised just how little speaker tech has changed. Yeah there are CF cones (PG had the Xmax 10 back in 93 and it was Carbon Fiber) in more speakers and there are more rare earth magnets being used now due to the ever decreasing room in car doors. Heck, I have a pair of tweeters made out of Beryllium! That stuff will kill you in powder form! LOL

But the players have changed. Soundstream and MB Quart now suck. Pioneer makes the cleanest deck and I now run brands I never knew existed 2 years ago. Look up Sinfoni Grandioso and Mosconi Zero3 and Zero4 and make sure you are sitting down when you see the prices. That's what I run now. I even have a $3000 one channel 60 watt amp that does not have even a simple crossover on it! LOL

Things have changed very much my friend. Im 40 and been in the game a long time and also do reviews so I get a lot of this stuff for free or at cheap prices. If not I would have an Audiovox cassette deck hooked to a Pyramid amp! LOL

Here is the $3000 Sinfoni single channel amp I am currently testing:

http://imgsrv.toppreise.ch/productImage.php?productID=53757&userImage=0&number=0&size=lg&downsize=true

These are the Sinfoni Grandioso components. I think they are $6000 with crossover and $5000 without. First pic is the earlier model. They just changed the woofers cone to copper and wood.

http://www.cartronix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Sinfoni-Grandioso-e1437098921925.jpg
https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/11700831_645644582237114_8518782047020006734_n.jpg ?oh=62fa0ec5b276748f1abb1c977cd132d1&oe=567333A9&__gda__=1453368894_c87496ffa839c682402561655480fb7 3

I run the mid level series in my truck:
http://www.trigger-jp.com/column/photo/20140126212706_5.gif

And these are my amps. Not saying what I paid but it was far less than the nearly $4500 retail. :D

http://mosconi-america.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/main1.jpg
http://mosconi-system.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ZERO4_01-Large.png

And these are my super shallow mount subwoofers. They use neodymium magnets and play as low as 5hz. :D

http://stereointegrity.com/wp-content/uploads/BMmkIV12_Back.jpg
http://stereointegrity.com/wp-content/uploads/BMmkIV12_Front.jpg

My stuff is all high end but my buddy works on elite. What he is doing now is just..... just wow.

Hes doing a brand new Porsche Cayman S....GT? Whatever their new bad ass Caymen is called. Cars speakers were nearly $30,000. That's 2 tweeters, 2 midranges and 2 woffers. *shock face*
All neodymium magnets. Pure Beryllium tweeters.

http://www.focal.com/img/cms/products/ultima/New_Ultima_Site843x403_GB.png

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12009701_1066039610087256_7230528620568630784_n.jp g?oh=89257bf4e57e468c4d9c605806a25cda&oe=566A8FAE
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11866383_1050400601651157_2788327515718469595_n.jp g?oh=600d9209351b5f7a0a8f717b41b259d7&oe=56A42B45
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11873408_1049599901731227_2922951894187862203_n.jp g?oh=4702cc887599af4831021c0e8136d1bb&oe=56A3EBB6

And while hes doing that I have another close friend that just went crazy and bought the worlds best car amplifier. The Sinfoni Desidero. Just pure perfection. $12,000!

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/Jeremy_Wright36/dsc_1823.jpg (http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Jeremy_Wright36/media/dsc_1823.jpg.html)

So yeah, stuff has changed a whole lot. And I was by no means attempting to insult you or even insinuate that the SS subs were not any good. They were. Still in my top 10 list for 10's. Problem is their material cant last 10 years so no good ones are left. :(

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 21:29
I wonder why my picture links sometimes work and sometimes don't?

Trust me though, you will want to see the pictures so I guess click on the links. I can load them into Photo Bucket when I get home but have a damn Lexus that needs my attention right now.

LaserSVT
September 17th, 2015, 21:32
I think I saw your car for sale in TX, or at least one with the same gear inside. I put in a bid but it was gone. I ended up with a Silver one and stock Symphony lol.

It was. It was at a dealer in Austin. They had it at 24k for a while and then dropped to 21k and then one day droped it to an insane price so I went and got the money but couldn't get out of work. Next day the car was back at 21k. I asked what was up and after he told me I said "Alright, call me before you have to make the next payment and are willing to sell it for yesterdays price again." He called right back and said its mine. :) I knew it had the McIntosh amps and I love McIntosh plus the car was the color combo I wanted so I figured it was ment to be mine. :)

6172crew
September 17th, 2015, 23:30
Yea we were probably working teh guy at the same time haha. It looked like a nice car.

LaserSVT
September 18th, 2015, 00:05
I bought it on the 2nd of this month.

vtraudt
September 18th, 2015, 01:20
Before talking 'system': mine has the basic symphony. Would have liked the rnse, but retrofitting seems pointless since those are quite expansive.
What are good fitting (optical match, for red lighting to button shape/color, etc) 7" touch screen options?
Would like full bluetooth (love to display the Android "torque" app data on the display in my cars) capability.

LaserSVT
September 18th, 2015, 02:58
Before talking 'system': mine has the basic symphony. Would have liked the rnse, but retrofitting seems pointless since those are quite expansive.
What are good fitting (optical match, for red lighting to button shape/color, etc) 7" touch screen options?
Would like full bluetooth (love to display the Android "torque" app data on the display in my cars) capability.
Well I know Pioneers offer color change of the buttons and red is an option but as far as shape and feel, cant think of anything.
The current "In thing" is putting an iPad Mini or Android tablet in the factory location with a custom dock. Its really quite trick. You have its output feed DSP of choice, most use Mosconi or Alpine because of the real nice interface. Mosconi has a micro interface so all you have is a little MFC knob you can put wherever to adjust audio and be the master volume. If you are on facebook search for "Simplicity In Sound" out of Cali. Couple friends own/run the shop and the installs are crazy. They are doing that Porsche I posted on the previous page. But they do a lot of tablet stuff so you can see how nice it integrates and how the DSP knob looks.

This page can give you all kinds of ideas for custom installs. If I lived near SIS there is no doubt they would do all my stereo work. Joey and Bing are amazingly talented.

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/iWLM1MGcZdxAhtOpa30O9g/o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11040931_1052239664800584_863180734124975888_n.jpg ?oh=ae409c7a0c17b7a4b14e1c9c66686523&oe=566A2F5D
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11947573_1052239758133908_8243525570547131510_n.jp g?oh=a0c9de8fcbe6d39d60b25ccfdcd67c20&oe=566B55BD
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/11947437_1052239668133917_2122105803824967484_n.jp g?oh=aa001303ec19bdf7ad3d3ccd1ae20632&oe=566ACA3F

Not sure how to embed here but here is a video of Joeys car with the mini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89d4BZwuH8

vtraudt
September 18th, 2015, 11:22
iPad Mini or Android tablet in the factory location with a custom dock.
Not a fan of too much 'creative' solutions as far as dash radio is concerned. Prefer 'plug and play and know what you get, how it works and looks'. I rather do an 01E swap than messing with plastic housing and communication gear (still have not figure out a way to run Bentley manual on win7 computer).

As far as colors: he devil is in the detail. I remember my Pioneer in another car (back then likely less color choices), but the closest red was 'just not right' and looked terrible, so had to go to totally different color to avoid the clash. One of the reasons I like Podi gauges, their red (and dial font) seems to be matching the standard audi very well.

Any pics and models of those you put 7" screens in their RS6?

LaserSVT
September 18th, 2015, 11:35
I have only seen one RS6 in my life and that's mine. Lol. My alpines buttons are blue and the rest is a match for the car.

Other_Erik
September 18th, 2015, 12:07
Not a fan of too much 'creative' solutions as far as dash radio is concerned. Prefer 'plug and play and know what you get, how it works and looks'. I rather do an 01E swap than messing with plastic housing and communication gear (still have not figure out a way to run Bentley manual on win7 computer).

As far as colors: he devil is in the detail. I remember my Pioneer in another car (back then likely less color choices), but the closest red was 'just not right' and looked terrible, so had to go to totally different color to avoid the clash. One of the reasons I like Podi gauges, their red (and dial font) seems to be matching the standard audi very well.

Any pics and models of those you put 7" screens in their RS6?

If you want factory look, nothing matches better than newer factory bits. RNS-E kit with Bluetooth and all the necessary wiring harnesses will run somewhere between $1200-1700 depending on all the options available. Well worth it to me just to have a working NAV that interfaces properly with the car. The biggest constraint in the install is getting all the damn wiring harnesses and adapters to fit nicely in the very little space left behind the head unit, and re-routing your GPS signal cable out of its wire-wrap prison and into the back of the stereo (which is still easier than threading the cable for a hockey puck antenna behind the passenger dash without hitting the airbag wiring).

Also, good luck getting the Bentley manual on Win7. Just like with the ETKA software, you're going to have to fire up a Windows XP virtual machine on your Win7 computer to get the stupid viewing software to run. That right there is why I opted for the paper manual, and even so it's next to worthless for the RS6. I love their instructions: "Follow A6 directions, adapt accordingly." - Direct quote from the Bentley manual.

The one thing I'll say WRT the tablet installation - once you have everything interfacing properly, and set your homescreen and audio/nav control colors to match, it can be very clean looking. I helped a buddy install an older tablet (Dell Streak 7") into his Grand Prix GTP, and with the right software and finally finding the right jumper settings on the dock to keep it powered with screen-off when the car was turned off, it felt like it really belonged.

O_E

vtraudt
September 18th, 2015, 12:07
Is C5 RS6 dash/radio exactly the same as the C5 A6 and C5 Allroad?

vtraudt
September 18th, 2015, 12:13
RNS-E between $1200-1700 Darn. Based on a NEW unit I presume?

Bentley manual on Win7. stupid viewing software to run. And NO support or updates. Simply milking customer without spending another dime. [/QUOTE]

The one thing I'll say WRT the tablet installation it can be very clean looking. Only an option if I pay someone to do it, and that become cost prohibitive quickly (on my budget).

LaserSVT
September 18th, 2015, 13:44
Is C5 RS6 dash/radio exactly the same as the C5 A6 and C5 Allroad?

As far as I can tell. I have owned an A6 before and it looked identical.

Other_Erik
September 18th, 2015, 14:12
Darn. Based on a NEW unit I presume?
And NO support or updates. Simply milking customer without spending another dime.
Only an option if I pay someone to do it, and that become cost prohibitive quickly (on my budget).

I don't know how to do the multi-quote split thing, so :|

The price is based on a refurb'ed unit from Zawa, you're not going to find new RNS-E's from Audi that'll fit the RS6 (bezel needs replaced, buttons are all wrong, guide rails need to be changed position, etc...), the range has to do with what options you get (SAT module, hockey puck Nav antenna, Bluetooth module, etc...). Drop me a PM with your email and I can put him in touch with you.

Agreed on the Bentley manual skimpiness.

The tablet install, yep, can get expensive, gotta find a friend with the knowledge and willing to help you install your gear for a 6-pack of cold brew.

Anyway, back to the audiophile sound systems discussion, sorry to jack your thread, Bill!

P1054
September 18th, 2015, 16:45
Regarding an aftermarket deck, I have a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS in mine and I can get both the buttons and the background to match the factory buttons and look pretty much perfectly. That's one of the reasons I chose this particular unit, the ability to vary the colors so precisely.

LaserSVT
September 19th, 2015, 03:06
So on to the fun stuff! We were a bit slow this morning and I knew I had two hours before the tow truck would arrive so I figured I would take 10 minutes to swap the subs around. Of course nothing goes as planned. LOL I pulled out the Alpine and set it next to the Boston on the table and knew right away this was not gonna work. I knew they were the same depth but I forgot how massive the motor structure is on the Boston, heck it weighs almost double what the Alpine does. Go for a test fit and the motors braces hit the box since the box was molded around the Alpines magnet. So I set off to build some spacers and then think about it and realize the Boston is going to fill the entire box. I went math stupid and messed up calculations pretty bad. Looks like with the Boston in there it would only have .3-.35 cubic feet. No wonder the Alpine struggled to hit low notes. Box is just way too small. So I decided to invert it instead as some smart people suggested. So I threw all the polly-fill back in (also made sure the surround was not going to rub the hole) and got it in. Powered it up and was a bit disappointed. While it did sound nicer and play deeper it just wasn't the sub i remembered. My buddy (who was watching the whole install and loves my misery) reminded me that these Bostons dont like polly-fill in small boxes. Duh! Dangit! Completely forgot. So I pulled out the polly-fill and there she was! The deep rich bass I always loved. Too bad I only had 15 minutes to play with it before the tow truck arrived. Was a kick ass 10 minutes though. That sub really growls! Cant wait to tune it in and really play with it and get it broken in. Suspension is very stiff right now so I am careful not to send more than 100 watts to it until it loosens up a bit.
Just wish Boston would have doe a better job on their leveling of the silk screening. LOL
Not sure yet how I feel about the way it is mounted. I may just make that location stock again and make a regular proper size box and mount it under the deck on the opposite side of the battery box. Wouldnt be hard to make one that mimicked the battery box.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/IMG_20150913_230341299_zpsvqe9ntdq.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/IMG_20150913_230341299_zpsvqe9ntdq.jpg.html)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/5r2_zpsfndixyzn.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/5r2_zpsfndixyzn.jpg.html)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/5r1_zpsnoxl8zmp.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/5r1_zpsnoxl8zmp.jpg.html)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/S2_zpsxni1qhr4.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/S2_zpsxni1qhr4.jpg.html)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x135/orange92gt/Audi%20RS6/S1_zpssqycdat0.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/user/orange92gt/media/Audi%20RS6/S1_zpssqycdat0.jpg.html)