PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing replacement

UrS6
September 9th, 2015, 04:49
I need to do both of my front wheel bearing/hub assemblies tomorrow. Aside from a triple square are there any very specific tools needed? What is needed for the outer axle nut?

P1054
September 9th, 2015, 05:41
As far as I can remember, it's a fairly straightforward job. You'll need the triple squares as you mentioned, and also an 18mm (iirc) allen wrench/socket for the outer axle bolt. I do remember I had a hard time finding that specific size, since the set I had jumped from 17mm to 19mm. It does exist though. Also for the record, some of the wheel bearing sets I've seen come with a hex head axle bolt instead of an Allen head. The OEM kit comes with an Allen head.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I just checked and as Bigglez said, they are 17mm. I'm not sure why I remembered 18mm, it must have been something else.

Bigglezworth
September 9th, 2015, 05:42
You need either a 17mm AllenHead wrench or a 27mm socket depending on what type of bolt is holding your axleshaft in place and whether or not you have OEM CV axles or aftermarket replacements. You will also need 18mm wrenches to remove the bottom control arms or 16mm wrenches to remove the top control arms in order to get the axle out of the bearing hub. Finally, just because you remove the 4 triple square bolts fastening the bearing to the upright, you will need some method of extracting the bearing from the upright as these can seize in place. Many a beating with a hammer will get it out, but a press is more suitable.

UrS6
September 9th, 2015, 13:59
Thanks, the 17mm Allen was what I was wondering about. The rest I have. I assume most auto parts stores will have the 17mm Allen if I need it.

bethridg
September 9th, 2015, 14:40
I assume most auto parts stores will have the 17mm Allen if I need it.

I picked mine up at Sears. 17mm hex bit socket 1/2in drive. ~$15.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-17-mm-hex-bit-socket-1-2-in/p-00942670000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

UrS6
September 10th, 2015, 02:49
All done. Not too bad

Turbowned
September 10th, 2015, 16:16
Where'd you source the parts from?

UrS6
September 10th, 2015, 17:10
I can't remember. Maybe rock auto or amazon? They were Moog bearing assemblies.

RSoverAll
September 14th, 2015, 06:16
What made you change them? Did you have a vibration, noise or some other issue?

UrS6
September 14th, 2015, 18:43
They were a little noisy but it wasn't until I got them up in the air and wiggled them back and forth at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions that I realized how much play was in them. The noise increases gradually over time so it doesn't really seem that loud. Once a replaced them I noticed how much quieter it was.