PDA

View Full Version : loose airbox - why looking under the hood is a good thing

kismetcapitan
September 6th, 2015, 22:41
I haven't posted much in the past couple years because I haven't really driven my RS6 much. I really ought to put it up for sale, if I'm doing less than a thousand miles a year. I've kept up with maintenance however, and just drop the car off and pick it up.

Whoever's been working on my car though is about to get an ass-beating. Last year my front Hotchkis swaybar broke; Hotchkis replaced it for free. I started getting a weird clunking sound up front, and turns out that the mechanic hadn't tightened the left-side bolt properly, so it started backing out. So that was an easy fix - many apologies from the shop etc, and I was on my way.

Fast forward a few months and a couple more uses of the car, and I've got to fill up the washer fluid. The left-side silver air duct is distorted. That's odd. I remove it and push it back into shape, which is when I noticed that the ENTIRE AIRBOX isn't bolted down at all.

What??

I find the mount on the passenger side, scrounge around the garage to find a nut that will fit, and screw that on. But I can't find the mount on the right (driver's) side.

Any directions as to where it is, and for bonus points, the size and thread of the required nut? I'd like to tighten it down before I drive the car back to the shop and give them a piece of my mind.

DHall1
September 7th, 2015, 05:32
Why doing own maint is better. I have just learned over the years to own cars I can work on. At least 95% of the items.

The less others touch my vehicles the better.

P1054
September 7th, 2015, 05:41
Why doing own maint is better. I have just learned over the years to own cars I can work on. At least 95% of the items.

The less others touch my vehicles the better.

^^100% agreement from me!

The driver side of the air box attaches to a bracket that bolts to the valve cover just forward of the mounting point on the airbox. That bracket also has a hose clamp that holds what I believe is one of the EVAP system hoses. The center of the airbox also has an attachment point, one Allen head screw that fastens to the top of the intake manifold.