PDA

View Full Version : EGT codes

UrS6
September 6th, 2015, 01:51
I have

17863 EGT1 implausible signal

17865 EGT2 open or short to plus- Intermittent

Any thoughts? Are they both bad or is it a red herring and something else is going on? I clear them and they come back in 10-15 minutes of driving or less. Car goes into limp mode and sometimes power will come back for a second so that when accelerating it gets really fast for 1 second almost like the clutch slipped and then caught up. I will test continuity and resistance when I can. But I know there can be other things that could cause this and thought it was strange i'm getting codes for both sides now.

Also while i'm asking, what is the best format to post logs here? Just copy and paste the results or is there a better format that reads clearer?

lswing
September 6th, 2015, 02:06
Multiple issues here I think. You've got EGT, which can be moderate or tough. Sounds like your trans is slipping, or TC is not locking up. I've had both EGT and trans issues, neither related for me at least.

Regarding the EGT issues, follow this and see if it helps, and I'm guessing they gave up around the same time due to their similar age. http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

It's possible that the EGT short/fail is causing the limp mode. Again, I've had the EGT's act up and still had full performance. If you feel like it's slipping then it probably is...

UrS6
September 6th, 2015, 02:12
It's definitely not slipping. I'm just trying to describe the loss of power followed by a quick rush of power like I was bumped from behind.

lswing
September 6th, 2015, 02:15
It's definitely not slipping. I'm just trying to describe the loss of power followed by a quick rush of power like I was bumped from behind.

Your EGT's are there for when they sense 2,000F, overheating and melting stuff temp, and then do a full 100% fuel dump. IF they are giving mixed signals then the ECU is bound to make things funny.

ttboost
September 6th, 2015, 14:13
I had EGT issues from the day I got my car. I could never confirm that a bad EGT causes limp mode, but it was always very coincidental. 1 was bad and 1 was intermittent. If you VAG it, you will see crazy EGT temps, either high or low...usually high if I recall. I think this causes the weird limp mode issue, that seemed to fix itself with an ignition cycle. I deleted both my sensors and coded them out. Never had a problem for the last year I had my car. For the 2+ years I had my RS6, all my CEL's were for EGT and MAF leaks. Once I removed my MAF's from the airbox and left them in the intake, and deleted my EGT's, I never got another CEL in my car, except for my manual swap. You can also go into limp mode with NO CEL or codes.

lswing
September 6th, 2015, 14:38
Could the EGT's be coded out independent of my tune? So leave all other ECU settings alone and basically have EPL just plug in and code them out?

ttboost
September 6th, 2015, 14:50
That's what I did. Same tune, just EGT/SAI delete. I think it is a re-flash, but only changing those 2 parameters...

Bigglezworth
September 6th, 2015, 15:42
Just a word to the wise for those that elect to code out the EGT's. I had what I thought was a simply EGT error pop up on the passenger sensor of my one ride here and upon closer inspection of all the variables was able to confirm my passenger turbo had blown and seized which increased the exhaust temps on that side of the engine. It wasn't a bad sensor. It was mechanical related and the EGT did what it was supposed to do by flushing the cylinder back with fuel to keep the temps down as best possible from a protection measure. Yes, a seized turbo becomes a performance issue which is noticable so one could argue you wouldn't need the EGT tossing a code to warn you of impending problem, but in my case it lessened the time to deduce the problem.

UrS6
September 14th, 2015, 19:49
Why can't I find the test procedure for the EGT sensors in my Bentley manual?

lswing
September 14th, 2015, 21:51
Not sure if this will help, general EGT problem solving tips. http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

UrS6
September 14th, 2015, 23:04
What channel is egt? 112?

lswing
September 14th, 2015, 23:49
What channel is egt? 112?

Yes. You'll see it once hooked up and looking through the logging blocks too.

Also, rotors sound like a go, let me square a few things up.