PDA

View Full Version : R8 coil pack adapters?

6172crew
September 5th, 2015, 18:00
I was reading threads on the adapters and rdcyclist but couldnt really find the correct ones for the RS6, does anyone have a contact for him? I need to start ordering parts for the Rig.:revs:

I started looking over the car yesterday and found some issues that need to be addressed including broken clips for what appears to be knock sensors, some animal who seemed to have a fetish with gray silicone and zipties had his way with a bunch of the electrical connectors and from what I can tell the car has a oil leak that didnt get fixed properly so I figure that needs to be done at the same time as the belts and hoses. (Looks like a fellpro gasket and a tube of RTV didnt do the trick...moron.:vhmmm:)

EINHORN
September 8th, 2015, 03:09
034 motorsports has some 'adapters' don't know whether they'd work though

lswing
September 8th, 2015, 03:16
Read this, he's got it down.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32023-Cheapest-tune-up-Upgrade-Let-me-help-you!

6172crew
September 8th, 2015, 15:41
I signed up over at Audizine and PM'd rdcyclist to see if they are available. I like the idea of delrin over aluminum, call me crazy but plastic should work great.

kruat
September 8th, 2015, 16:47
So on my s4, I sourced vw touareg adapters. Made of plastic, cost only a few dallors each. Did the job just fine.

6172crew
September 8th, 2015, 17:36
So on my s4, I sourced vw touareg adapters. Made of plastic, cost only a few dallors each. Did the job just fine.
http://www.proeuroperformance.com/oem-audi-vw-touareg-coil-pack-adapter-plate/

Nice score!

lswing
September 8th, 2015, 17:52

Nice score!

These and the R8 coil packs, all that is needed right? Basically just cost savings over the stock rs6 coil packs is the reason?

6172crew
September 8th, 2015, 18:38
My understanding is the R8 coil pack is an upgrade from stock and since my coil packs are stock I wanted to replace them at the same time I do the belts and hoses. I also have 2 broken clips so those will need to be replaced at the same time. The one plug I removed looked fairly new but those are getting swapped as well.

I think the reason stock coils fail is running plugs out of spec, but thats just my theory. When a coil has to put out more to get a plug to spark it put strain on the coil. Anyhow, I dont think i will gain anything from the coils except piece of mind, the car got around 21.5 MPG from TX to NM.

lswing
September 8th, 2015, 19:04
Sounds good, thanks. Makes sense. I see stock coil packs are only a few more dollars each anyhow.

Yes, great highway mileage. 22 on the highway and 12 around the city!

kruat
September 8th, 2015, 23:42

Nice score!

Shop around, I'm pretty sure I got mine for around 3 buck each.

6172crew
September 17th, 2015, 21:28
I did get a Pm back from rdcyclist, he get $110 for the set and uses his name/yaho email account to accept paypal for his delron ones.

JSRS6
September 17th, 2015, 21:47
Did you drill them to use the bolts in the locations or no?

kruat
September 17th, 2015, 22:29
Nope, no drilling. They just clipped in the existing bolt holes.

JSRS6
September 18th, 2015, 01:13
Nice to know. They clip in firmly?

kruat
September 18th, 2015, 02:03
Ya, if I remember correctly. It's been a few years. Secure enough to hold the coils.

RS8
September 19th, 2015, 09:09
Has anyone fitted these Touareg adapters on the RS6 engine?

And what is the OEM part number on the best coils for this? (is it 06E905115E ? )

Is there any difference between the OEM R8 coils against Bosch, NGK, Febi, Beru etc..

lswing
September 19th, 2015, 12:39
Has anyone fitted these Touareg adapters on the RS6 engine?

And what is the OEM part number on the best coils for this? (is it 06E905115E ? )

Is there any difference between the OEM R8 coils against Bosch, NGK, Febi, Beru etc..

What adapters? No info provided...and why the heck try and use a Touareg adapter?

I too have been wondering about the difference. Think I heard the R8 packs hold up better with aftermarket plugs.

JSRS6
September 19th, 2015, 13:49
Lou,

a few posts up, kruat and I were talking about the Touareg adapters.

kruat
September 19th, 2015, 16:29
I have not test fitted the touareg adapters to the RS, I was only providing info on these adapters that worked for my 2.7tt and we're far cheaper them the aftermarket ones.

And I have not seen any specific test data on the R8 coils over any others, but in my experience working at audi, I've changed far fewer newer R8 or newer coils over the early generation coils. I use to fight a lot of misfire codes on my S4, got rid of the ICMs and swapped over to the R8s and my misfires went away.

LaserSVT
September 19th, 2015, 19:41
Sorry for the noob question but whats wrong with the OEM RS6 coils? Just not as strong or too expensive or what? I am not currently having issues but should they arrise I am always up for changing stuff for the better.

Its like I know with my few SL65 friends that they HAD to change the coil packs after the car was tuned because the new tunes would fry the OEM coils.

s8prtotype
September 21st, 2015, 02:01
I seriously outlined everything in my post for you guys haha...

Do not use those cheap ass adapters on your RS unless you like water to get in the holes. I'm sceptical those even work and aline the coils correctly, an issue I had with the B5 S4 adapters I tried first. Not to mention they look like crap lol.

Get the bolt down adapters I had him specifically make for the V8 valve covers. They're tight to the cover and seal it up nice. Will never pop out and the coils have the perfect height over the plug.

My car runs smooth as butter with the R8 coils but of course my stock coils are 12 years old.

While you're in there get your dusty ass valve covers powdercoated too ;)

kruat
September 21st, 2015, 02:10
Just curious, do you often submerged your motor in water? Not sure water getting down the spark plug holes would be a concern of mine...

And I couldn't care less about how those "cheap ass adapters" look, I don't drive around with my hood off, showing my motor off. I don't drive a honda. They've worked great for the last few years on my S4, and I enjoy the extra money I saved.

s8prtotype
September 21st, 2015, 02:28
Whatever floats your boat man haha, all i know is my car is done correctly and yes it get's cleaned often. I also do go to car shows and pop the hood, everyone wants to see it. So for me they're done correctly, work better and look great.

I woulda bought an 2.7 a6 with 16's if i didn't give a shit how the car looked. ;)

lswing
September 21st, 2015, 02:28
Ok, so the point of these is? My car tuned runs fine on stock packs and plugs for years now. I know the tuner kids with a stanced A4 1.8T like to say they have an R8 part on their car:) So any real reason to run these, just cheaper?

s8prtotype
September 21st, 2015, 02:34
I bought them because they're red

lswing
September 21st, 2015, 02:39
I bought them because they're red

Seriously? All this chatter, smh...

kruat
September 21st, 2015, 02:58
Well, I have no desire to put these "R8" coils on my RS6. Mine runs like a top, with not a hint of misfires. Im not into wasting money.

"R8" coils are the exact same coil that is on all new Audi motors. Nothing special for the R8.

And as far as whatever floats my boat, i guess what floats my boat is not wasting money. These "cheap ass" adapters that i uesd are actuall OEM VW parts, but i dont "show" my motor off, so spending extra money on pretty adapters is a waste. I guess I perfer function over looks. The OEM ones fit perfect on the S4 2.7TT. But i have no idea how they fit on the 4.2TT.

RS8
September 22nd, 2015, 08:29
Because these homemade adapter for S4 in the link on first page did not fit the RS6 so ought not those Touareg adapters fit the RS6 either, right?
So therefore I wonder if anyone tested these Touareg adapters on the RS6

I'm not looking for how nice it looks, Instead I want the best for my new race engine i'm building with a lot of hp....

s8prtotype
September 23rd, 2015, 05:48
The thing is I do know what works and I did try them out, so when you use the adapters I had made after I found these issues they actually POSITION THE COIL IN THE RIGHT SPOT FOR THE V8. and bolt down just like the factory ones.

Along with that, they're nice and thick keeping more of the heat off the coil (even more than the factory ones) as it's much much thicker base. and, just a FYI, All recent Audi coils ARE NOT the same and they've made many revisions and different colors. I did my research on those too and went with the latest revision coil.

What you won't ever see me doing is telling people to buy something that I'm not currently running on my own car. I've been building turbo cars for years. I like to build my cars with solid parts and making cool shit work for the first time is part of the game for me. Along with doing the research, I love project cars and spending money on them. My RS gets spoiled. I mean it is 1 of 800 or so right??

The last thing I wanted was that little plastic melting in the hot RS engine bay or a coil popping out randomly while i'm getting on it... No thank you.

On that note, I've only seen one other member with the little plastic adapters and I think that's fastguy. Ask him how they're doing if you want to know first hand how they work with your RS.

RS8
September 25th, 2015, 07:50
The thing is I do know what works and I did try them out,

Yes and that is perfect, I only now want to know if R8 coils is the ones that gives the best spark or if I should go for other coils.