PDA

View Full Version : Who is tuning the 01e RS6 on East Coast

mdegracia
September 3rd, 2015, 16:46
Planning my conversion for this winter.

Called EPL and they do not tune the manual conversions anymore.

I want to upgrade the turbos (Scroll Products) while I'm in there and have it tuned accordingly.

Any suggestions?

Other_Erik
September 3rd, 2015, 17:16
SteveKen in PA, not sure if he does the tuning, but he's the source for all 01E knowledge.

10SecS4 I believe may be even closer to you, he tunes, but not sure if he's got the 01E covered.

That should get you started

O_E

mdegracia
September 3rd, 2015, 17:44
I wanted to do a one stop shop with EPL (turbo upgrade, 01e tune, and tuning for the upgraded turbos), but they won't tune any RS6's with o1e's in them...kinda weird IMO.

So, I am fine with shipping the ECU to AMD for the 01e tune, but really want the car tuned for the upgraded turbos.

That's my dilemma...

And I have an email into Sean at Scroll Products for the rebuilds.

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 18:02
So you doing the Scroll upgrade to bigger impeller(s)? Around $2k right, have to cut and weld exhaust housing, something like that when I spoke to him.

I just did the stock rebuild, but had the impeller shaft oil flow increased for $200 or so, he said they would stay cooler, spin better, they do work great.

mdegracia
September 3rd, 2015, 19:11
Yes, while I have them out, I want to go with the larger compressor wheels and turbine wheel mod, hence the need for some custom tuning for optimization = my dilemma...

Turbowned
September 3rd, 2015, 19:13
I'm really surprised that EPL won't do it... There are west coast shops that you can send your ECU to, but up this way I'm not sure. Might be worth asking on the Audizine forum as I'm sure there are some people in the Northeast that have 6MT swapped other Audis; where the RS6 is such a low production car there just aren't a lot of people working on them.

SteveKen
September 3rd, 2015, 19:32
I'm really surprised that EPL won't do it... There are west coast shops that you can send your ECU to, but up this way I'm not sure. Might be worth asking on the Audizine forum as I'm sure there are some people in the Northeast that have 6MT swapped other Audis; where the RS6 is such a low production car there just aren't a lot of people working on them.

Without pissing in anyone off too much, I can say that I've been there ans done that with just about every tuner out there since 2009 on this, EPL included.

While EPL might be a spectacular tuner, getting the RS6 ECU right for a 6MT car 'ain't tuning'. The amount of gray matter is another order of magnitude.

If they would take time to learn and do it properly, it' wouldn't be lucrative enough for them or affordable for the end user.

I don't' mean to single out EPL, as the same can be said for a lot of other tuners as well.

Props to AMD, ddillenger, EFI Express, prj for essentially starting with nothing to get it where it is currently.

bethridg
September 3rd, 2015, 19:37
I'd try to contact ddillenger. I have no experience with him but have seen his name tossed around and he's got his own 6MT RS6 in the works.

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 20:08
Just to add to it, I wonder if anyone really does a complete 6MT tune and clears out all the gray area issues? I know the last I heard from one of the AMD owned cars was that they were still experiencing CEL or other lights related to the tune, and not getting follow up support. Maybe it was another issue though, and not to single them out. Heard many good things and as SK said, it's great these guys take it on.

Yes, ideally you would find a local tuner where you could get on a dyno and match the tune to your turbo's ability.

One idea, and I did this with my WRX, is remote tuning. Basically you get the tune, flash it, then you go log data. Send the file back to the tuner, they perfect it. 2-3 tries and you should have it dialed in.

mdegracia
September 3rd, 2015, 20:37
Just emailed VAG Autowerks, he's located in Albany with is local enough for me.

Hopefully we can work something out. I'd really like to get the car setup right.

I've done the remote tuning route on my gt3071 viggen, and it came out pretty good. Remote tuning may still be on the table for me.

P1054
September 3rd, 2015, 20:57
lswing: I think the AMD owned car you're referring to may have been mine. I did have an issue where for some reason my instrument cluster though it was still an automatic (not the original RS6 auto though, oddly) and showed PRND432, with P always highlighted. It also would read "Press brake pedal to select gear" upon startup. Turns out it was just an adaptation value that had to be changed, I figured it out on my own with VagCom.

AMD is certainly not the best at communication, but with their tune my car has no "handicaps" as a manual, everything works as it should: ESP, ABS, cruise, cluster, etc. No warning lights, no residual error codes, nothing. Just a 6 speed RS6.

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 21:28
lswing: I think the AMD owned car you're referring to may have been mine. I did have an issue where for some reason my instrument cluster though it was still an automatic (not the original RS6 auto though, oddly) and showed PRND432, with P always highlighted. It also would read "Press brake pedal to select gear" upon startup. Turns out it was just an adaptation value that had to be changed, I figured it out on my own with VagCom.

AMD is certainly not the best at communication, but with their tune my car has no "handicaps" as a manual, everything works as it should: ESP, ABS, cruise, cluster, etc. No warning lights, no residual error codes, nothing. Just a 6 speed RS6.

Thanks for confirming! I should have stated that I have no idea how good they are and was propagating internet hearsay:) I would be awfully tempted to try remote tuning through them. If they have all the gray area sorted as stated, then it's just a few flashes, or maybe sending the ecu back and forth, to exact the performance part of the tune.

P1054
September 3rd, 2015, 21:59
No problem! I think they do a great job tuning, the only problem I could see with remote tuning is getting ahold of them when you need to.. Other than that I'd say it's a great option. To be fair, once I did reach Jason the first time and got my appointment set up, I was able to reach him in the interim just fine too. It was just that first contact that was problematic.

SteveKen
September 3rd, 2015, 22:33
Just to add to it, I wonder if anyone really does a complete 6MT tune and clears out all the gray area issues? I know the last I heard from one of the AMD owned cars was that they were still experiencing CEL or other lights related to the tune, and not getting follow up support. Maybe it was another issue though, and not to single them out. Heard many good things and as SK said, it's great these guys take it on.

Yes, ideally you would find a local tuner where you could get on a dyno and match the tune to your turbo's ability.

One idea, and I did this with my WRX, is remote tuning. Basically you get the tune, flash it, then you go log data. Send the file back to the tuner, they perfect it. 2-3 tries and you should have it dialed in.

I can 100% confirm that AMD has had a 6MT tune that has no issues. I've been running their stage one making a very reliable 475/575 HP/TQ for over a year. No issues at all. It's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I've also used a VAG Motorwerks (ddillenger) ECU for initial shakedown and feedback reporting and have all the confidence that it will be comparable to the AMD tune and probalby with more configurability, as they are more remote-tune friendly and can work through some iterations to match the tune to your mods.

lswing
September 4th, 2015, 00:22

Hopefully we can work something out. I'd really like to get the car setup right.

I've done the remote tuning route on my gt3071 viggen, and it came out pretty good. Remote tuning may still be on the table for me.

Nice. I'm in Albany, maybe meet up when you're in town at the shop.

ttboost
September 4th, 2015, 01:59
If I wasn't the only manual RS6 car up this way, at the time, EPL may have spent some more time. My car was 99.99% there, just some code issues. As has been said, it takes a tremendous amount of time to perfect these types of "problems". EPL chooses to R&D current model offerings, to a more MASS market, rather than spend a tremendous amount of time for a few of us pioneers.

makaveli42
September 5th, 2015, 00:45

Daz at Vag Autowerks is awesome. Good dude and has a sick manual RS6 in the process of being built. I just traded my Viper TCU for his and we are doing his tune early next week when I have time...

Avus-RS6
September 5th, 2015, 05:31
AMD has ALL of the issues sorted on the conversion tune, has for some time now.

ttboost
September 5th, 2015, 22:23
Everyone knows that, but unless you can walk in the door, and corner someone with a pointed stick, you will never speak to anyone. I left 4 messages over a 4 week period with no response...got pissed and sold my car. Yes, it's true, I have no patience...

lswing
September 6th, 2015, 02:09
Everyone knows that, but unless you can walk in the door, and corner someone with a pointed stick, you will never speak to anyone. I left 4 messages over a 4 week period with no response...got pissed and sold my car. Yes, it's true, I have no patience...

One thing I never got, poor service from a performance shop. Are they really making that much money off people at $100 per hour that it's easy to turn down phone calls? On the other side of that, when "clients" call me routinely asking for free advice or extra help they don't get it, so maybe that's what some of these tuning shops have to deal with.