PDA

View Full Version : cracked carbon fiber interior door trim

morfun6
August 25th, 2015, 16:36
Hi there. Anyone know best way to replace cracked interior carbon fiber door panels or dash panels? They appear to have simply cracked the clear coating. Any help appreciated!

Other_Erik
August 25th, 2015, 16:44
Hi there. Anyone know best way to replace cracked interior carbon fiber door panels or dash panels? They appear to have simply cracked the clear coating. Any help appreciated!

Pick up a set from here, Audizine, etc... A6/S6/RS6 all used same trim for the 4B/C5 platform.
If you can't find a CF set (or a reasonably priced set), you can always pick up woodgrain and ship them off to OCarbon for refinishing, just be prepared to wait. Not a knock against OCarbon - Matt, the owner, is a perfectionist, and if he wouldn't rock it in his ride, he won't ship it out to a customer.

O_E

marklar182
August 25th, 2015, 17:13
Cannot be fixed per my discussions with Matt @ OCarbon.

Have to replace.

morfun6
August 25th, 2015, 17:41
Anyone know of the quality of the ones for sale that are reconditioned out of Poland on ebay?

DHall1
August 25th, 2015, 17:55
It's epoxy and I think they can be repaired

RKturbo
August 25th, 2015, 18:31
From what I have read on this it can be repaired but not an easy task. Basically the cracked area needs to be grooved out and refilled with resin, re-sanded and cleared. If the cracks go all the way to the cf itself much harder.

morfun6
August 25th, 2015, 19:27
Got it. Sounds like I am going to buy a reconditioned set on ebay.

DHall1
August 25th, 2015, 20:16
Anyone have a link to resin? I have one on the project car w crack. Nothing to loose

SteveKen
August 25th, 2015, 20:20
Pick up a set from here, Audizine, etc... A6/S6/RS6 all used same trim for the 4B/C5 platform.
If you can't find a CF set (or a reasonably priced set), you can always pick up woodgrain and ship them off to OCarbon for refinishing, just be prepared to wait. Not a knock against OCarbon - Matt, the owner, is a perfectionist, and if he wouldn't rock it in his ride, he won't ship it out to a customer.

O_E

I'm a bit of a selective perfectionist, myself.

While Ocarbon's stuff is very good quality, I just cant get past the overlaying of the two tabs on the ash tray cover.

I was hoping that he would have developed a way to machine out this area and reinserting the tabs.

kruat
August 26th, 2015, 02:11
I'm a bit of a selective perfectionist, myself.

While Ocarbon's stuff is very good quality, I just cant get past the overlaying of the two tabs on the ash tray cover.

I was hoping that he would have developed a way to machine out this area and reinserting the tabs.

What do you mean, overlaying the two tabs? I'm just curious, I don't don't have any experience with Ocarbon good or bad.

SteveKen
August 26th, 2015, 02:50
What do you mean, overlaying the two tabs? I'm just curious, I don't don't have any experience with Ocarbon good or bad.

You can see them missing here.

http://ocarbon.com/content/gallery/audi/c5-008.jpg

Vs. the OEM one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/hliu55/steering%20wheel/electronicsremoval4.jpg

DHall1
August 26th, 2015, 02:55
Ohhhhh carbon

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-System-Carbon-Kevlar-Fiberglass/dp/B00RDFRSGE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1440546516&sr=8-10&keywords=carbon+fiber+resin#product-description-iframe

s8prtotype
August 26th, 2015, 23:40
Only problem with my interior is that damn dash piece... I just pretend is isn't like that until someone points it out... ugh

DHall1
August 27th, 2015, 00:13
Yep

the same on the project car. Just one piece

hahnmgh63
August 27th, 2015, 06:29
Probably not one of the pieces you need but just in case, good shape OEM: