PDA

View Full Version : Alternative touchup paint for Mugello Blue

atikovi
August 15th, 2015, 16:41
Found a tube of Toyota 8K8 in my box of old paint bottles and its a dead ringer for the Audi color. Anyone know the rank of popularity for that color on the RS6?

lswing
September 2nd, 2015, 10:40
Mugello Blue seems to be one of the most common colors. Makes sense since it's the best...

Anybody have other preferred paint touch up options?

Other_Erik
September 2nd, 2015, 11:35
Check the 6-character paint code on the tube/bottle you have vs. the color code on the RS6 - if it's the _SAME_ code, go for it. Otherwise....

Take your 6-character paint code to a real auto parts warehouse (not Vatozone/Advance) and have them mix up a 16oz spray can based on color code. If you're working on a chipped bumper or panel, spray the paint into the cap and use a fine artist's brush to apply. Let dry, then random orbital polisher + finest cutting compound / rubbing compound you can find to blend the spot. Taking the dive on this for 3 cars here when the weather is nice.

My RS6 - Ebonyschwarz (Ebony Black)
Wife's A6 - Brilliant Black
Bro's S5 - Phantom Black

All different color codes, noticeable if you put the wrong code on the wrong shade of black...

urs6ville
September 2nd, 2015, 14:56
Anyone have the paint code for Daytona handy? I haven't dug through the trunk yet for it.

Other_Erik
September 2nd, 2015, 15:56
Anyone have the paint code for Daytona handy? I haven't dug through the trunk yet for it.

Just so happens I have the color codes handy here...

LY7J/C2 Avus Silver Metallic
LY3D/G2 Tornado Red
LY7W/5B Light Silver Metallic
LZ3M/N9 Misano Red Pri Metallic
LZ5E/5W Mugello Blue Pearl
LZ6E/3W Cambridge Green Pearl
LZ6X/6T Goodwood Green Pearl
LZ7S/6Y Daytona Gray Pearl
LZ9W/4Z Ebony Black Pearl

urs6ville
September 2nd, 2015, 17:34
Thanks O_E

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 17:19
Thanks! Laziness works!

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 17:21
Found a tube of Toyota 8K8 in my box of old paint bottles and its a dead ringer for the Audi color. Anyone know the rank of popularity for that color on the RS6?

Do you have a pic of the two painted side by side or on the same car? Looks a bit brighter with more sparkle online.

atikovi
September 3rd, 2015, 17:49
Do you have a pic of the two painted side by side or on the same car? Looks a bit brighter with more sparkle online.

HUM? It's touch up paint. You use it on nicks and scratches, not to paint the whole side of the car.

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 17:58
HUM? It's touch up paint. You use it on nicks and scratches, not to paint the whole side of the car.

Ummm, it would be nice if it matched...close is not matching. I've got some Mugello Blue from a paint company in the past (need to look up the name), they said it would match, does not and you can tell even on small dots.

ben916
September 3rd, 2015, 18:15
Just so happens I have the color codes handy here...

LY7J/C2 Avus Silver Metallic
LY3D/G2 Tornado Red
LY7W/5B Light Silver Metallic
LZ3M/N9 Misano Red Pri Metallic
LZ5E/5W Mugello Blue Pearl
LZ6E/3W Cambridge Green Pearl
LZ6X/6T Goodwood Green Pearl
LZ7S/6Y Daytona Gray Pearl
LZ9W/4Z Ebony Black Pearl
L***/** Polar White

Missing one...

atikovi
September 3rd, 2015, 18:33
This color not available from Audi? I used the alternative since it was a Saturday and the dealer had closed and this Toyota paint matched so I never checked back.

lswing
September 3rd, 2015, 19:03
This color not available from Audi? I used the alternative since it was a Saturday and the dealer had closed and this Toyota paint matched so I never checked back.

It's available, but some paint places match better than others. When you said perfect match it sounded good, and it's also 50% of the price, because Audi:) Lets see a pic if you get the chance!

atikovi
September 3rd, 2015, 22:07
I've got 150 pics at 2003Audi RS6 (http://www.fototime.com/inv/70A05375EE95F53) but can't remember now what nick or scratch I touched up.

EINHORN
September 4th, 2015, 02:07
ought to get some nice new rs6 stickers for front brakes

lswing
September 4th, 2015, 02:33
Do not buy paint from this site. I think they matched the color from a photo. Way too dark, not enough sparkle. Bought a few years ago using correct code.

http://www.imatchpaint.com

Other_Erik
September 4th, 2015, 14:02
Missing one...

Actually missing 6 because Audi Exclusive colors (Black Cherry Pearl, Polar White, Ibis White, Imola Yellow, Sprint Blue, Papaya Orange)

LZ3H/X7 Crimson Red (Black Cherry Pearl) ((Qty: 1))
LY9H/P1 Polar White ((Qty: 45 [Estimated]))
LY9C/T9 Ibis White ((Qty: 2))
LY1C/1T Imola Yellow ((Qty: 14 [Estimated]))
LZ5F/5N Sprint Blue ((Qty: 5 [Estimated]))
LY2B/X3 Papaya Orange ((Qty: 1))