PDA

View Full Version : Can I safely assume this is a bad G28 crank sensor?

UrS6
July 30th, 2015, 22:07
Car has been acting strange, every once in a while it will buck and the RPMs will drop to zero for a fraction of a second. I shut it off on a 95 degree day and it wouldn't start. Cranked with absolutely no attempt at turning over. After almost two hours it started right up and drove fine for 10 minutes with one buck. Turned it off and it won't start again. When the no start condition existed VCDS showed no RPMs in the measuring block for G28 sensor. I haven't tried it again since but assume that if it would start that VCDS would show a value there. Car has been very low on power and lacking boost, revs hang when coming to a stop, occasional stall, ocassional rev holding at 1100rpm at a stop light in addition to the bucking. I pulled over and shut the car off to do some logging and that's when it wouldn't start again. No codes.

urs6ville
July 31st, 2015, 15:22
Car has been acting strange, every once in a while it will buck and the RPMs will drop to zero for a fraction of a second. I shut it off on a 95 degree day and it wouldn't start. Cranked with absolutely no attempt at turning over. After almost two hours it started right up and drove fine for 10 minutes with one buck. Turned it off and it won't start again. When the no start condition existed VCDS showed no RPMs in the measuring block for G28 sensor. I haven't tried it again since but assume that if it would start that VCDS would show a value there. Car has been very low on power and lacking boost, revs hang when coming to a stop, occasional stall, ocassional rev holding at 1100rpm at a stop light in addition to the bucking. I pulled over and shut the car off to do some logging and that's when it wouldn't start again. No codes.

I think so. Had similar behavior on my UrS and VW VR6. Was speed sensor on both (even though CPS on the UrS could have somewhat similar results)...

urs6ville
July 31st, 2015, 15:25

Should also note, when it happened to me way back on my VR6 I had NO codes either.... at that point (2001) I wasn't doing my own wrenching and car was still under warranty.. towed to dealer... they started it and drove it off the trailer.... no codes. happened again... this time I waited and it started again.... took to dealer... no codes. I think it took 4 times before they said it threw a code and they replaced the speed sensor.

UrS6
July 31st, 2015, 17:57
Where can I get one locally?

UrS6
July 31st, 2015, 18:55
It's amazing how hard it is to find. You think that a sensor that is used in all the V-8 Audis would be available somewhere. Even the dealership doesn't have one.

UrS6
July 31st, 2015, 19:04
It's amazing how hard it is to find. You think that a sensor that is used in all the V-8 Audis would be available somewhere. Even the dealership doesn't have one.

EINHORN
July 31st, 2015, 19:26
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-engine-crankshaft-position-sensor-0261210192

Locally and quick delivery too.

fbatwork
August 1st, 2015, 03:12
I would say that is what it is - exact same symptoms as I had last year. No codes...

UrS6
August 1st, 2015, 03:22
When the car is hot and won't start the measuring block for the CPS shows zero while cranking. I cranked and started it today, while cool, and that block showed revs immediately upon turning the key. So, I'm certain that's it. I hope it is causing all of my other problems too: bucking, no boost, no power. We'll see tomorrow.

RSoverAll
August 1st, 2015, 21:56
Would have thought for sure there would have been an intermittent- implausible signal G28 code.

EINHORN
August 2nd, 2015, 02:20
Would have thought for sure there would have been an intermittent- implausible signal G28 code.

Nope on the TT died twice, once in rush hour traffic. Both times started by the time AAA arrived. No codes either time. That's what it was though.

UrS6
August 2nd, 2015, 02:45
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-engine-crankshaft-position-sensor-0261210192

Locally and quick delivery too.
No i'm annoyed as shit because I ordered this from another company before I saw this. I talked to the head sales guy and said what do I need to do to get this by Saturday because I need to pick up my elderly in laws at noon on Monday. He told me it would be one day shipping with FedEx so I was all good and would have it on Saturday. But they are still "processing" the order so now I won't have it until Tuesday.