PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for '03 RS6 with 17k miles?

SeattleS4
July 29th, 2015, 02:21
So, what are some pricing thoughts regarding an '03 RS6 with 17k miles in MINT condition?

- original owner
- 2 sets of OEM wheels and tires
- complete service history
- clean CarFax / no accidents

I believe some low mileage RS6s have sold within the last year or so, but I don't remember any specifics - high $20's or low $30's rings a bell.

Turbowned
July 29th, 2015, 03:10
That's tough. I recall seeing some with 30-40k miles selling in the low $30k range when I bought mine a couple years ago. NADA states $25k and KBB $26k but I honestly think it should be worth more than what their mileage algorithm gives it. That car is one of certainly less than, probably 50 examples stateside with under 20k miles. In the end it's all down to what you're comfortable paying relative to what the owner is comfortable selling for.

If you need ammunition to buy it at a lower price than what is asked, consider what else can be purchased for similar money. 2010+ S4's are dipping into the high 20's/low 30's now with 50k or fewer miles, and dynamically they are a lot of fun to drive and offer probably 85% of the performance potential. Merc AMG's can be had with more power and more features for the same or less money (although they won't have AWD). You could lease an S3 or S4 for roughly 24-28k overall expense over 36 months and not have to worry about the maintenance obligation of an RS6. Also, despite the low mileage, it is still a 12-year-old-car, and the mileage does not excuse it from falling victim to the same problems a high mileage car could face, due to its age.

Good luck!

kruat
July 29th, 2015, 04:40
I bought mine last year, for 21k, with 43k on her clock. All maintenance records and all stock. Seems the rs6 market has dropped a little bit in the last year, as I thought I got a great deal when I bought mine.

DHall1
July 29th, 2015, 04:47
35-38

Post specs colors vin history

ben916
July 29th, 2015, 20:07
Also, despite the low mileage, it is still a 12-year-old-car, and the mileage does not excuse it from falling victim to the same problems a high mileage car could face, due to its age

THIS!!!

If we have forgotten about the 7.5k mile example (ebony) in Texas and the purchaser didn't do a PPI, purchased sight-unseen and purchased a Fidelity Warranty = Transmission $hit the bed 120 miles later.

Personally, I would be uber cautious about a low mile example at 12yo that hasn't been flogged like it should be.

Price? High $20k- low $30k ($32k tops).

Chicken Dinner Dave... bock bock!

lswing
July 29th, 2015, 20:55
The last example that was mint and 30k miles or so went for $32k on eBay I believe, seems about right. Also a potential rats nest of common problems that will need to be fixed. Still, to have perfect paint, interior, engine bay, and just a like new car I would pay the $32k if I had it.

SeattleS4
July 29th, 2015, 20:58
It's listed for $45k.

Bigglezworth
July 29th, 2015, 21:09
It's listed for $45k.Will be there for a long time at that price.

lswing
July 29th, 2015, 21:29
It's listed for $45k.

$38k to the right buyer who has no idea or care about the upcoming costs...got a link?

RKturbo
July 29th, 2015, 22:30
I think the price has been dropped a good bit in the last year or 2. Bought mine in great condition 4 months back, completely stock with 54,000 miles on it for just over 17,000. I would think high 20's at best.

lswing
July 29th, 2015, 22:32
I think the price has been dropped a good bit in the last year or 2. Bought mine in great condition 4 months back, completely stock with 54,000 miles on it for just over 17,000. I would think high 20's at best.

Condition is very debatable, we're talking a perfect almost new car. The eBay one was a gem, bidding was solid. You may have got a great deal too, sometimes people have a tough time selling.

ttboost
July 30th, 2015, 01:03
Low miles scares me more than high miles...

SeattleS4
July 30th, 2015, 02:27
Here's a link for the car:

https://spokane.porschedealer.com/preowned/Audi/Rs6/2003/SILVER/silver/1300367/info.php

I bought mine last year, for 21k, with 43k on her clock. All maintenance records and all stock. Seems the rs6 market has dropped a little bit in the last year, as I thought I got a great deal when I bought mine.

How did you guys find deals like this?? Either one of those cars would easily be priced $8k-$10k higher here (Seattle). I swear the Pacific Northwest is an overpriced used car vortex...

lswing
July 30th, 2015, 03:09
VIN above 5500, should be newer TC, good. No WW package, boo, nice mats though. Wonder if DRC recall was done. My carbon under the ashtray has that yellowing, hidden mostly, but imperfect. The NW market seems to command more due to lower available cars I would say.

Jimmy Joe
July 30th, 2015, 03:13
I don't think low mileage in and of itself is a valid cause to worry about the future performance and life expectancy of a car such as ours, providing the owner(s) have understood the nature of this car and have followed diligently the maintenance and care of the vehicle, such as being kept out of the elements, tight maintenance schedule, and, very important, regular and frequent excercise, and/or provide correctly for long time storage. Let's not forget that the lifespan of a car is dictated, for the most part, by MILE AGE . So, on the contrary, I think that an old car with low mileage, well kept and preserved is a jewel. Five years ago I bought the MexBeast with 22 something K, and up to this day I have only- regular maintenance aside -, changed front disc brakes an all pads, the result of a track day where the rivets of the Pagid pads ruined the discs, (this is not a track car, by the way) and a hole in the radiator which cost around 100 bucks to fix. Aside from that, no problems whatsoever with the DRC, Trans, TC, etc. I think that the proper care lavish by the former owner has a lot to do with it. Do I baby it ?, yes. Do I take more than proper care of it ?, yes, Do I drive it fast ? Oh yea, any time the conditions warrant it. At this moment, it shows 34 K, and I am a very happy owner,

mrdave
July 30th, 2015, 03:42
Wow, that thing is absolutely gorgeous! But $45k is high. If I were in the market for the nicest RS6 I could find, I'd put that one in the $32 - $37k range. With these cars it really is a "what buyers will pay" market since they're so rare.

DHall1
July 30th, 2015, 06:04
Silly rooster

Headed to colorado this week to baby my RS6. Plans in the works to do Mulholland later in August. Pat is meeting us in Co. Got a new Featherlite trailer so the beasts get to travel behind the motorhome once again.

Lol

THIS!!!

If we have forgotten about the 7.5k mile example (ebony) in Texas and the purchaser didn't do a PPI, purchased sight-unseen and purchased a Fidelity Warranty = Transmission $hit the bed 120 miles later.

Personally, I would be uber cautious about a low mile example at 12yo that hasn't been flogged like it should be.

Price? High $20k- low $30k ($32k tops).

Chicken Dinner Dave... bock bock!

DHall1
July 30th, 2015, 06:32
Bock, bock

Cant have mine for 35.

Watch out Colorado idjuits
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/image3-4_zpscs1cqy33.jpg

Turbowned
July 30th, 2015, 16:50
Wow, the leather is practically perfect in that car! No wear and tear on the buttons either *swoon*

Too bad no engine bay or undercarriage pics, those would probably be drool-worthy :)

Bigglezworth
July 31st, 2015, 02:37
Wow, the leather is practically perfect in that car! No wear and tear on the buttons either *swoon*

Too bad no engine bay or undercarriage pics, those would probably be drool-worthy :)Without question, but are those incidentals worth $20-25K more than what you can get in the same model that has 2-3 times that mileage???

Turbowned
July 31st, 2015, 16:02
Probably not, considering how well these cars wear. Stickynomore and Dr. Vinyl can fix the slight interior blemishes that develop, and a clear bra can prevent too much road rash on the exterior. I need to get my bumpers resprayed but otherwise the car looks tops at 85k miles!

EINHORN
July 31st, 2015, 19:29
1 million dollars

lswing
July 31st, 2015, 20:04
1 million dollars

Let me help you...

http://aussiememes.com.au/media/created/One-Million-Dollars-639omk.jpg

SeattleS4
July 31st, 2015, 21:50
Too bad no engine bay or undercarriage pics, those would probably be drool-worthy :)

Here you go:

EINHORN
July 31st, 2015, 22:14
my quote was from clear and present danger

Bigglezworth
July 31st, 2015, 22:59
16596 Wow, it has BOTH of the inspection cover hold down clips.... lol I say that jokingly as I know a number of members have had one magically disappear from the bracket below as they can frequently come loose over time. Hell, I have only 1 on each of the two rides I have here. ha

Aronis
August 2nd, 2015, 02:19
I just bought it!

Needed the front bumper cover.

EINHORN
August 2nd, 2015, 02:22
Great parts car. :fastm:

lswing
August 2nd, 2015, 02:53
I just bought it!

Needed the front bumper cover.

Now that's funny...I'll take the pristine power steering reservoir cover.

scottmandu
August 2nd, 2015, 17:31
So, what are some pricing thoughts regarding an '03 RS6 with 17k miles in MINT condition?

- original owner
- 2 sets of OEM wheels and tires
- complete service history
- clean CarFax / no accidents

I believe some low mileage RS6s have sold within the last year or so, but I don't remember any specifics - high $20's or low $30's rings a bell.

That's a tough one.. You might need to do alot of maintenance due to the age (timing belt, cv boots, trans service etc) also depending on how it was used/stored, it could have had the fuel go nasty.. I'd question as to why it had so few miles and of course do your diligence. However I'd say that 30k wouldn't be unreasonable if everything passes the sniff test.

C300
August 8th, 2015, 19:27
I just picked up a clean one, PNW. Pearl Black. Ebony. Nav., cold weather package, Sport Exhaust. 63k. Has Wood grain, I work with carbon fiber and see it as utilitarian but nice for under the hood. It's all stock far as i can tell. or is now. $22k. Minor paint scratches. 96y p/sports, wrong tires new for the sell.

SeattleS4
August 8th, 2015, 19:45
I just picked up a clean one, PNW. Pearl Black. Ebony. Nav., cold weather package, Sport Exhaust. 63k. Has Wood grain, I work with carbon fiber and see it as utilitarian but nice for under the hood. It's all stock far as i can tell. or is now. $22k. Minor paint scratches. 96y p/sports, wrong tires new for the sell.

Was this the one at University Audi?

DHall1
August 8th, 2015, 20:16
Welcome aboard

last 6 of vin please

fbatwork
August 9th, 2015, 00:16
I think that someone must be a collector not a driver in order to only have 17K on in 12 years... I manage to put 9-10k km on a year and I drive 4 other vehicles - it's just hard not to drive it...

C300
August 9th, 2015, 04:59
Yes, got it there. Have any information about it ? Clean, said it was the owners. Didn't get much background on it. Just car facts.

SeattleS4
August 9th, 2015, 05:48
Yes, got it there. Have any information about it ? Clean, said it was the owners. Didn't get much background on it. Just car facts.

I don't have any info about it. I was keeping an eye on that one, though. Never actually had a chance to check it out in person. I thought it might be the same RS6 I almost bought down in Portland, Oregon a few years back and the guy ended up trading it in to Univ. Audi for a new VW.

C300
August 9th, 2015, 18:24
That is probably the same one. It was in Portland. Was originally sold at university. Guy moved there after he bought it. What were they asking for it back then, and why didn't you buy it?

SeattleS4
August 14th, 2015, 02:10
That is probably the same one. It was in Portland. Was originally sold at university. Guy moved there after he bought it. What were they asking for it back then, and why didn't you buy it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is the same one. I remember the guy originally bought it from University Audi.

Mileage was in the 35-40,000mi range and he was asking $45k. The car ran great and was in very nice shape, but I didn't buy it because he wouldn't budge on the price at all.

SeattleS4
August 15th, 2015, 16:33
Looks like they just dropped the price to $41.5k

ttboost
August 15th, 2015, 18:10
WOW...they're giving it away now!!!