PDA

View Full Version : for those of you who have installed a manual transmission...passenger turbo question

Fastguy
July 29th, 2015, 00:01
Driver turbo fit without any issue (although getting the little pressure lines attached on the compressor housing was one of the most frustrating things I've done on this car so far). Now I'm trying to dry fit the passenger turbo. It looks like the steveken adapter pushes the transmission back so far (looks like an inch or so), that the passenger turbo won't even come close to fitting without some major grinding. So much so, that I'm afraid it would requiring grinding clear through the bell housing. I'm not completely sure if I'm looking at this correctly so I figured before I start grinding, I'd ask you who have done the swap.

ttboost
July 29th, 2015, 00:12
Passenger side is worse due the compressor housing exiting inward. Reach out to Steve and don't grind anything...

Bigglezworth
July 29th, 2015, 01:24
Driver turbo fit without any issue (although getting the little pressure lines attached on the compressor housing was one of the most frustrating things I've done on this car so far). Now I'm trying to dry fit the passenger turbo. It looks like the steveken adapter pushes the transmission back so far (looks like an inch or so), that the passenger turbo won't even come close to fitting without some major grinding. So much so, that I'm afraid it would requiring grinding clear through the bell housing. I'm not completely sure if I'm looking at this correctly so I figured before I start grinding, I'd ask you who have done the swap.You've purchased Kendrish's kit. Contact him on your alignment woes.

P1054
July 29th, 2015, 02:11
I agree with you about that little pressure line. Out of the entire manual swap, that was my biggest headache. But as far as the passenger side turbo goes, mine bolted right up with zero clearance issues. I even had plenty of room to wrap it with a turbo blanket after it was installed. Only thing I can think of is to check how it's clocked..?

Fastguy
July 29th, 2015, 03:01
I agree with you about that little pressure line. Out of the entire manual swap, that was my biggest headache. But as far as the passenger side turbo goes, mine bolted right up with zero clearance issues. I even had plenty of room to wrap it with a turbo blanket after it was installed. Only thing I can think of is to check how it's clocked..?

Steve replied and said the same thing about clocking the turbos to fit. I'll work at it a bit more tomorrow. I thought it may be because these aren't stock turbos. So I pulled out the stock one and found the same issue. Maybe I just need to finagle it a but more? The stock turbo and the srm ones look basically identical on the outside. Only difference is the larger actuator. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Fastguy
July 31st, 2015, 03:45
Finally got both turbos installed. By far the most difficult process thus far....and not just one side, both were very difficult. Such tight spaces and the stainless steel lines are terrible to flex into the exact position to get banjo bolts perfectly lined up so they will thread.

On the passenger side I ended up removing the exhaust manifold once more. I installed all the plumbing on the turbo and then worked the manifold back in. Then I struggled for about another hour trying to get the three manifold to hotside flange bolts in. The turbo bolt hole were slightly clocked incorrectly because of the new silicone tube I cut and fit from the turbo to maf housing. it took some great force to put them in one at a time but I finally got it.

It was suggested that I pressure test the oil and coolant lines to the turbos to check banjo bolts and crush washers for leaks. I'm all for this but have no idea how that could be accomplished. Has anyone ever done this with the engine out of the car?