PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 tune (110 octane) worth the cost

RKturbo
July 25th, 2015, 03:07
Well in preparation for a few trips down the track tomorrow night (if it ever stops raining) ran the car till the fuel light came on and put 9 gallons of 110oct in it. I can tell it is now running on it from the exhaust smell. LOL Have Marc's (10sec) tune in it now which is for 93. Thing is, the car is driven so little that can pretty much run 110 in it or at least a strong mix of it all the time and thought I might should try and up the tune a little more to take advantage. Boost is probably maxing out the turbos now at requested 17-18lbs but maybe up the timing more? Plus, I will be running meth soon too. Thoughts?

Bigglezworth
July 25th, 2015, 03:22
Marc's tune will push the 1/4 in 11.7 with 91/110 blend. Don't know you will get much better with 110 only as the limits are the turbos (running at max already) followed quickly by the injectors and fuel pump close behind

ttboost
July 25th, 2015, 11:47
The higher octane will only allow you 2 things: to maintain any and all timing allowed by the tune, thus no KR, and the slower burn will help negate any detonation, if any were to arise. If you have none of those two issues, higher octane will do nothing, and MAY make you run slower. You would likely run better with a "mix", rather than 100% 110. You really need to tune for higher octane. Being in Florida with the hotter weather, you may be alright...

4everRS
July 25th, 2015, 12:52
I think that is what he is looking to do. Change the tune. I personally don't know how you do that, contact Marc? As long as you tune for higher octane, I don't see why you wouldn't be a bit faster.

ttboost
July 25th, 2015, 13:24
Yep, tune is the only way...more boost, more timing...

Bigglezworth
July 25th, 2015, 15:42
I think that is what he is looking to do. Change the tune. I personally don't know how you do that, contact Marc? As long as you tune for higher octane, I don't see why you wouldn't be a bit faster.

Yep, tune is the only way...more boost, more timing...And unless you're changing turbos, injectors, pumps, headers, you're not going to benefit having either of those further altered.

RKturbo
July 25th, 2015, 17:26
Well getting a hold of Marc is no easy process as I have been trying to for a while now. Plan to run it tonight (although pouring all day so far and not looking likely) and will log passes and see what we have.

hahnmgh63
July 25th, 2015, 18:17
As others have said above, most likely you'll get a little benefit from a mix but you are just throwing money away by going to 100%. The only way to tell how the tune is doing is to log the cylinder detonation and timing and start adding high octane until that goes away and the timing doesn't advance anymore. Is the 110 Lead free? A couple of spots up here close to the track sell 100 no lead but I think their 110 is Leaded.

RSoverAll
July 25th, 2015, 20:02
Same here in Phoenix, well that I've found. 100/unleaded, 110/leaded.

I run 4 gallons 100 and 1 gallon 91. And it's night and day difference from just 91. The exhaust tone is much different, more power in top gear during throttle roll/tip in and just nuclear power running from 1st gear and up @WOT, on my R1...

Have yet to put it in the RS6. I would expect the same result though just to a less extent.

Bigglezworth
August 10th, 2015, 20:11
Well getting a hold of Marc is no easy process as I have been trying to for a while now. Plan to run it tonight (although pouring all day so far and not looking likely) and will log passes and see what we have.and what were the final stats?

makaveli42
August 10th, 2015, 20:45
and what were the final stats?

yes, update please. I'm thinking about going from my Viper tune to Marc's tune only because I have a meth kit not and would like a more aggressive tune but I haven't been able to get a response from Rich at Viper in ages. Also, I'm supposed to have left foot braking but I can't break a shitty 2.1 60'

DHall1
August 10th, 2015, 21:30
Reset the ecu!!!

sneaky reset

Well in preparation for a few trips down the track tomorrow night (if it ever stops raining) ran the car till the fuel light came on and put 9 gallons of 110oct in it. I can tell it is now running on it from the exhaust smell. LOL Have Marc's (10sec) tune in it now which is for 93. Thing is, the car is driven so little that can pretty much run 110 in it or at least a strong mix of it all the time and thought I might should try and up the tune a little more to take advantage. Boost is probably maxing out the turbos now at requested 17-18lbs but maybe up the timing more? Plus, I will be running meth soon too. Thoughts?

RSoverAll
August 11th, 2015, 05:31
Reset the ecu!!!

sneaky reset

The man knows what he is talking about.

I am now a firm believer in the sneaky reset.

s8prtotype
August 11th, 2015, 06:15
I've been working with Daz on my car and he is always responsive and will help you with any revisions you need to get it perfect. I'm happy with my tune so far... when it's a little chilly out the car is a bat outta hell right now and drivability is also a little better over stock. Hit him up on FB for a fast response.

RSoverAll
August 11th, 2015, 06:27
I've been working with Daz on my car and he is always responsive and will help you with any revisions you need to get it perfect. I'm happy with my tune so far... when it's a little chilly out the car is a bat outta hell right now and drivability is also a little better over stock. Hit him up on FB for a fast response.

Daz, as in Dillinger?

s8prtotype
August 11th, 2015, 06:33
yessir, i need to find time to go out and log for you guys still.

Nothing like a perfect RS6 :)

SteveKen
August 11th, 2015, 16:23
The man knows what he is talking about.

I am now a firm believer in the sneaky reset.

Can you refresh my memory on the procedure?

Are we removing the positive battery terminal and grounding it?

I'm getting old and can't remember if there's another procedure.

Yes, I did do a search for ' ecu reset' and gave up.

I bet it's in this thread, too, and I'm just an idiot....

Other_Erik
August 11th, 2015, 17:41
Can you refresh my memory on the procedure?
IIRC

1: Key out of ignition
2: Key into ignition, to 'On' position, no crank
3: Gas Pedal to Floor, hold >5 seconds
4: Key off, out of ignition
5: Release gas pedal
6: Wait 7 minutes or more (400 second afterrun tickdown before sneaky reset completes)
7: Enjoy freshly sneaky reset'ted RS6

ttboost
August 11th, 2015, 21:33
Right. This just resets the "adaptive learning" for the transmission. The car will "feel" faster afterward.

SteveKen
August 11th, 2015, 22:46
IIRC

1: Key out of ignition
2: Key into ignition, to 'On' position, no crank
3: Gas Pedal to Floor, hold >5 seconds
4: Key off, out of ignition
5: Release gas pedal
6: Wait 7 minutes or more (400 second afterrun tickdown before sneaky reset completes)
7: Enjoy freshly sneaky reset'ted RS6

Thats just the procedure for a throttle body adaptation.

DHall1
August 12th, 2015, 03:59
And so much more

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/Mobile%20Uploads/277267361_zpsf8c6b682.jpeg

Right. This just resets the "adaptive learning" for the transmission. The car will "feel" faster afterward.

RKturbo
August 14th, 2015, 04:01
Well I can say is I just the ECU and the car is a rocket. Did not do the "sneaky" one as I was installing the new (very little) 925T battery and of course reset the ECU when I swapped them. We took it for a drive and did a couple of logs (actually had a guy in a Volvo S60 make a Uturn and give it a shot and was very much humiliated) and took it up 175mph. Now just need the MTM TCU. DAVE? ;)

DHall1
August 14th, 2015, 04:31
Yeeks!!

Ok ok ok

We are back from vaca but its 115 outside. Lemme see what i can do on sunday....may need to go to Oregon next week.

Well I can say is I just the ECU and the car is a rocket. Did not do the "sneaky" one as I was installing the new (very little) 925T battery and of course reset the ECU when I swapped them. We took it for a drive and did a couple of logs (actually had a guy in a Volvo S60 make a Uturn and give it a shot and was very much humiliated) and took it up 175mph. Now just need the MTM TCU. DAVE? ;)

RKturbo
August 14th, 2015, 07:36
Me and my trans would much appreciate your kindness and suffering in the heat. ;) We have another track day next weekend. HOPEFULLY will not rain out again and I can get a couple of runs down the 1/4. Lol I can have mine out and on its way with some cash ASAP.

Yeeks!!

Ok ok ok

We are back from vaca but its 115 outside. Lemme see what i can do on sunday....may need to go to Oregon next week.

Urbo
August 14th, 2015, 14:34
When you remove the battery cable, does this reset all the systems or do you need to initiate particular adaptations outside of that? Transmission, throttle, etc ....

RSoverAll
August 14th, 2015, 18:00

Who was humiliated? The S60 guy?

RKturbo
August 14th, 2015, 18:16
Ohhhh yeah. We were just leaving development to log a couple of runs and he passes the other direction. I saw him make a quick u turn and come right up behind me. We turned at the light and he motors up next 2 me, smile and takes off. I was in first gear and hit the gas. A few seconds later it was well over. Blew past him like nothing. Not sure which model S60 it was but could tell he had a manual trans. Really nice car but no match at all.

RKturbo
August 17th, 2015, 04:10
Yo Dave! I tried to respond to your PM but says your inbox is too full and you need to make some space! ;)

DHall1
August 17th, 2015, 04:32
Send me an email