PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust gas temp sensor 1 and 2 bad.

C300
July 18th, 2015, 03:55
Have any of you had these codes, and what did it entail ? Was told 29 hours labor. 800 for sensors ! Anyone?

Bigglezworth
July 18th, 2015, 07:44
Have any of you had these codes, and what did it entail ? Was told 29 hours labor. 800 for sensors ! Anyone?4-6 hours of work depending on your level of knowledge with the car and level of experience with wrenching yourself. Can be swapped out without removing engine. Two different means to undertake repair - either from above or from below. Below requires powerplant to be dropped whilst still in cradle a nominal 4-6" to enable you to get your hands/arms up past tranny housing. From above requires either a) super skinny hands along with modified 17mm wrench, or additional access that can be completed by removing the SAI piping and combi valves from the back of the heads (best solution). This provides additional clearance for your hands and wrenches from above. You'll part with your first born purchasing EGT's from Audi Stealerships. Source OEM resellers - there are a few. Some will simply say to code out, but I personally wouldn't.

hahnmgh63
July 18th, 2015, 15:05
What Biggz said. They (EGT's) are not sold separately anymore, only as a pair. They retail at $524.81 from Miramar Audi, part number 077998124, www.genuineaudiparts.com. If you post your location in your signature line there may be others close by that can help you with suggestions on where to take it if you can't do the repair yourself. Audi does say engine removal to do the work, hence the labor hours quoted but I would never pull the engine to do it. Just lower the engine cradle and tilt it will give the clearance necessary. Depending on your cars mileage, you may want to do the front O2's (relatively cheap) while they or you do the EGT sensors (not cheap).

lswing
July 18th, 2015, 16:34
Adding to the info above, occasionally it is possible to solder some broken connections to fix this issue. Here is the info for that, http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Since you'll be in the area, and certainly if you are replacing the EGT's, take a look at your cam tensioners if above 90k miles as it's another $2-4k repair. You could do valve cover gaskets and other seals while at it, also upper rollers for timing belt.

C300
July 18th, 2015, 16:42
Great, super thanks ! I'm sure that I can handle this. With your help and moral support of course. What Maintenance Manual is the best to use. I know that the factory one is usually the best, but a few hundred ! Is there a free one on line somewhere ? with wire diagrams. Do like the Bible to reference. Get an understanding BEFORE digging in. Biggz, was just on another audi site and someone referenced them to ask you on this site, Thanks for sharing your knowledge ! Just starting on this "new to me car". Will be trying to sort it out. In good shape, Not much done to it. 63k. hahnmgh63, i'm in the everett area. Should meet up for coffee and a look see. I just signed up on this site, will add info soon. Thanks, C300

C300
July 18th, 2015, 16:58
Iswing, guess we posted at the same time. didn't want a long post, but was going to ask what other things to do while in there. thanks for covering some of that. Was told nothing has been done to it. As far as I can tell, There are light scratches on the l/h front fender from someone working on it. If they know, they Ain't telling. V/C gaskets weeping, T/converter paint burned/flaking off, rusty. front Diff. leaking. Sensors. Will do the tensioners and rollers at 75k with belt. Any more on preventive maintenance ?Thanks

s8prtotype
July 18th, 2015, 18:26
Had mine tuned out, car has been running perfectly. :)

lswing
July 18th, 2015, 18:49
Had mine tuned out, car has been running perfectly. :)

It will run just fine...until you get a fuel leak or clogged line/filter and things get really hot/lean, and since the ECU has no idea of the temp your engine may detonate:) But odds are very slim...they're only there to dump fuel at 100% once you reach 2,000 degrees F for some very bad reason I believe, and are a handy diagnostic tool when logging/tuning.

s8prtotype
July 18th, 2015, 19:52
No turbo car I've ever owned needed them, put the replacement money towards a good tune. Smile when you hit boost.

I'm also one to keep up on the cars maintenance myself and everything is new :)

ttboost
July 18th, 2015, 20:32
I logged mine a few times, no real drama. My tuner and I agreed that they are not much help tuning or troubleshooting. You will have plenty of other warnings of impending doom. I also had bad sensors. Coded them out and never had another issue.

papadoc
July 18th, 2015, 23:32
There is a reason that Audi stopped using these on subsequent models- unless you ignore every other sign that something is wrong, there is no need for them other than to annoy you when they go out every 50k miles or so. While these seemed to make sense as a fail safe feature at the time, and as a nice boost to service revenue for the dealers when they go out post-warranty, there is just no need for them. As S8prtotype says, put the replacement money towards a good tune. Just had mine coded out while getting ECU/TCU tune at 034 Motorsports.

RSoverAll
July 19th, 2015, 19:40
..... getting ECU/TCU tune at 034 Motorsports.

This, how is that tune? Any logs yet? Curious to see how their tune compares to some of the other RS6 tunes...

papadoc
July 20th, 2015, 04:18
Posting dyno results in new thread.

ben916
July 20th, 2015, 17:33
Iswing, guess we posted at the same time. didn't want a long post, but was going to ask what other things to do while in there. thanks for covering some of that. Was told nothing has been done to it. As far as I can tell, There are light scratches on the l/h front fender from someone working on it. If they know, they Ain't telling. V/C gaskets weeping, T/converter paint burned/flaking off, rusty. front Diff. leaking. Sensors. Will do the tensioners and rollers at 75k with belt. Any more on preventive maintenance ?Thanks

Whats your last 6 of the VIN?

GreggPDX
July 20th, 2015, 20:56
Did you happen to buy the black one at University Audi in Lynnwood? I was eye-balling that car for a bit and had been talking with a salesman about it for a while. It looked like a really nice car!

DHall1
July 21st, 2015, 01:05
I agree

mine are fine but I would code out if they go bad.

I also data log monthly to ensure proper running order

There is a reason that Audi stopped using these on subsequent models- unless you ignore every other sign that something is wrong, there is no need for them other than to annoy you when they go out every 50k miles or so. While these seemed to make sense as a fail safe feature at the time, and as a nice boost to service revenue for the dealers when they go out post-warranty, there is just no need for them. As S8prtotype says, put the replacement money towards a good tune. Just had mine coded out while getting ECU/TCU tune at 034 Motorsports.

C300
August 11th, 2015, 21:54
GregPDX, that's the same car. Looks good anyway. Hopefully is ok after the whole work force there drove it...