PDA

View Full Version : Owner's view: RS6 / E55 AMG / 996TT

Erik
February 1st, 2004, 10:24
I thought this was a pretty nice write-up:

As posted by NWturbo @ 6speedonline.com

"RS6 vs E500
I finally managed to see an RS6 in person and hear it's exhaust.

Interior - although the interior is not as up to date as my E500, I still think it is very nice. Granted, the E500's interior (I have sport package and Nappa leather options) is more "upscale", the fit and finish of the Audi is almost on par. You have to remember, once you get used to something, you don't notice it anymore. Going between the Audi RS6 and E500 interior within a short while, honestly, I don't really care too much.

Exterior - The regular A6's simply do not look as good as the new W211 E-class. The difference between the RS6 and A6 is more profound that that between the E55 and E500. In person, the RS6 looks very powerful. Shank is right, pictures do not do the car justice.

Driving dynamics - The RS6 beats out the E55 no question. For me, traction is important as I get rain and snow at certain times of the year. My E500 (w/snow tires Michelin Pilot Alpin) was horrible in the snow. On any slight incline, the ESP would just cut in and halt the car. In the wet (w/ Michline Pilot Sports), the E500's ESP would always come on. In short, the car feels very nervous when driven enthusiastically.

The RS6 is really the closest 4-door sedan to my 996TT. It is that good. This was what I was looking for and the RS6 seems to be the best answer. The exhaust sounds way better than our 996TT.
DRC keeps the car quite flat (like ABC on the SL500, CL500) and the steering, brakes, handling is worlds above the E500. The E55 may be faster than an RS6 in the dry but when it's wet, the enthusiactacally driven E55 is an accident waiting to happen. The RS6 gives you confidence and high speed stability like our 996TT.

RS6 and 996TT - the perfect garage for me."

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5855&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

absent
February 1st, 2004, 14:32
It should be called:Owner's view of RS6/996tt/E500
He has no personal experience of the E55,he is guessing what it is,based on the E500.

Alan
February 1st, 2004, 16:39
As a long time Porsche (996tt, etc) owner, to me the RS6 is the "Porsche" of sedans.

One guy on a Porsche website took umbrage at that claim, stating the the only "Porsche of sedans" was an E-type in the mid-80's that was a joint MB-Porsche project. That car was considered the "mother of all sedans". It's 0-60 times were in the 6 sec range - how far we have come.

Personally, I hope the rumors that Porsche will be building a awd sedan based on the Cayenne Turbo are true.

gregoryindiana
February 1st, 2004, 17:29
I would concurwith his opinion.

I sold a 993 C4S to make room for the RS6.

There aren't any other sedans that I would have done that for. Without Quattro, any enthusiastically driven sedan is an accident waiting to happen, to paraphrase.

Can't speak to the efficacy of 4matic, never driven it in snow, but traction control as used in BMW 5 and 7 series, even with snow tires, doesn't get the job done.