PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an RS6 in Portland Oregon

GreggPDX
June 27th, 2015, 19:22
I went and test drove this car yesterday:

http://www.autotownbuickgmc.com/en_us/unitDetail.asp?used-2003-audi-rs6-gladstone-or=539781

Link to Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=ICO_0&vin=WUAPV64B53N905696

The carfax show the transmission was rebuilt, but nothing about timing belts or the DRC.

Seemed to drive really nice, no funny noises or behavior. Engine was smooth and pulled hard and transmission seemed to shift fine. There were a couple little things I noted, first, the Carbon Fiber trim seemed to be cracking on the finish, is this common? Fixable?

Also, there was an exposed circuit board hanging on the firewall, is this stock? What is it?

Also, how do I tell if the car has the warm weather package? I did not see anything that looked like sun shades on the rear, and when I looked at the side-mount intercoolers, I did not see anything but the intercooler. Is there an easy and definitive way to know for sure? I prefer not to have the package, since I live in Oregon and it does not get really hot very often.

Any general advice for things to look for? The dealer said I could take the car overnight, so I have plenty of time to test drive and dig into it. I have no problem getting it up and jack-stands and poking around. if I get serious about this car, I was thinking I would also take it for a pre-purchase inspection, any recommendations on that? I assume I'd want someone that knows these cars pretty well. Three places I can think of off the top of my head: Sunset Audi (http://www.sunsetaudi.com/index.htm) in Beaverton, Wilsonville Audi (http://www.audiwilsonville.com/index.htm) and an Audi tuner shop in Portland called Matrix Integrated (http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/index.php). Is anyone familiar with any of these or know of another good place for a PPI in the Portland area?

Finally, what's a fair price? They are asking $19,700.

Thanks for any input!

ttboost
June 27th, 2015, 19:55
Exposed circuit board is 1 of the EGT sensors. Failure waiting to happen. Get them to fix it. The EGT's are about $400 or so each, and a PIA to fix if you've never done one. You can buy one and fix it yourself, without dropping engine, but a dealer will tell you that you have to drop engine. You will eventually get a CEL if you ignore it. These cars will give you a CEL if you burp in it.

mrdave
June 27th, 2015, 20:50
Also, how do I tell if the car has the warm weather package? The sunroof will be a solar panel (which you can't see through) and the 3 rear windows will have retractable sun shades. The two side window shares are manual, rear window shade is power and there's a button on the dash next to "ESP".
Finally, what's a fair price? They are asking $19,700. Assuming all maintenance is done that's seems like a fair price to me.

Bigglezworth
June 27th, 2015, 21:01
I have been unsuccessful in removing and reinstalling either the passenger or drivers sidee EGT without at least lowering the engine/tranny at least 4-6" while still mounted in the engine cradle and I don't have big hands.

G2
June 27th, 2015, 23:47
In terms of service, all the handful of Audi folks I work with avoid the Portland Audi Dealerships. Including RS6 owners. All with poor experiences-- Unfortunately dealers are not what they once were. I can even speak to direct and personal experience with a nearly new B6S4 that I couldn't touch due to warranty. Wife and I were flabbergasted at the end result.

Stick with an Indy that knows the RS6. Meaning someone that actually has and or better yet commonly works on them.

Things to look out for:
Besides the major services and brakes.

A flurry of thoughts here-

Excessively dirty or low oil
Smoke upon cold start up
Excessive engine/valvetrain noise upon cold startup
Drivetrain fluids
Water pump and oil leaks
Worn(out) suspension arms
Leaking or failing DRC
Perform a "deep OEM" scan via VagCom or similiar (my top of the line Autel scanner/programmer will pickup stuff VagCom won't; I have both, even the older VAS 1551 OEM scanner)
Loose or clunking steering rack
Trans: WOT in TIP mode to ensure no slipping from low RPM
Body work and glass (i spent years looking at high end/custom cars, can be frightening, either way...few auto techs know what to look for....most dealer sold cars have evidence of paint and/or body work; Carfax means squat, nothing, sorry, other than no major accidents)

My RS6 was also from the LA,CA area. It's tough on suspension and obviously the trans. Some areas are much cooler than others which helps.

Avoid jack stands. Usually does more damage than good. Dealer may not notice, but still......

In the unlikely event you're able or willing to travel to Eugene, feel free to contact me.

BTW- Silver on Black is my first color choice, CF too, very nice. Get an extended warranty if you can....

Best of luck!

lswing
June 28th, 2015, 00:54
Besides all the above good points. Never once seen cracked carbon, either from crazy heat or stress from removal? There should be papers on the trans, it's an $7-10k job with parts/labor. Prices are dropping on these...I'd pay $15-16k with that cracked carbon and exposed EGT, and no paper trail of labor. Manual under the dash? Spare tire?

DHall1
June 28th, 2015, 01:05
Late vin is good

Interior looks worn all over ....left out in the sun it cracks the clearcoat on the carbon panels

Not 19k w no records

I could look up what the dealer paid if it went thru manheim

Came from a good area but it looks worn

We have a member thats a tech at one of the pdx dealers...casa

Or let AMD do the ppi

lswing
June 28th, 2015, 02:37
Carfax just says trans was flushed/overhauled, not replaced. Big difference. As Dave stated, it's a good VIN, meaning past ~9600 or so Audi fixed and issue with a seal in the torque convertor, thus allowing the trans to live much longer. What I don't see on the Carfax is a service around 70k when the Timing Belt should have been done. For all you know, unless you can get papers, that thing could blow at any moment from a failed tensioner or belt.

Make sure you get a warranty off the lot. When I bought mine from Freeman Motors in Portland it had a good list of repair work. They also said the Torque Convertor was replaced as it had failed...it was not actually done, and they covered $2k of the $3k that it cost me to have replaced...better than nothing.

You can replace the carbon parts, forget the company, or get from a wrecked car. But the inside looks a bit dogged, leather roughed up, light knobs and other scratched. There aren't a lot available in the NW, so maybe $17k, depends on how much you want the car. Just keep in mind that if that trans blows you're out $8k real quick.

kruat
June 28th, 2015, 03:02
If that's the same one, in Gladstone, I drove it about a year ago when I was shopping. They wanted a bit more for it, nearly 25k. I scanned it with my vagcom, and saw transmission codes. Don't remember which ones, but it was enough for me to walk.

Now, it might be a different one, so just fyi. Good luck in your hunting.

DHall1
June 28th, 2015, 06:32
Sorry Mike

You are the tech in the portland area right?

Take it to Mike for check out....doubt its the same one carfax hist....but who better to check out an RS6 but a Audi tech that owns one.

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 07:36
Thanks for all the feedback, at this point, I'll probably pass on this one. I really wanted to drive one, and this is close to where I live, so it worked out well, but my heart is certainly not set on it. My ideal car would be blue on white with CF trim, SE exhaust and no warm weather package. My dream version would be converted to a 6 speed! Right now, I'd like to find a well maintained and sorted car that I could drive for a year or two, then covert to manual, or a cheap car with a bad trans that I could convert right now. Either way, I don't want to rush. I've been reading a lot and mentally preparing for a while, but driving one really got me excited.

It's really too bad that most of the cars I see for sale on the board are so far away. There are 4 cars for sale in the PNW right now (that I could find), and they are all at dealerships:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5075691047.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5090703894.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/5060039199.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5094405183.html (the one I looked at)

I'd love to find a good private party car with all the records. Maybe I just need to plan a vacation back east to do some shopping...

hahnmgh63
June 28th, 2015, 11:21
All N. America RS6's come with the Hot weather package (which inludes side mount radiators). Warm weather package (Solar Sunroof, rear electric shade and manual side rear window shades) is an additional option.

DHall1
June 28th, 2015, 12:49
I like the black one at University

lswing
June 28th, 2015, 15:17
Just go buy this one, great price, good VIN, and all records, maintained well. Great price. Swap out the wood for carbon, will cost $1k.

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2016&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=399786533 (http://click.messages.autotrader.com/?qs=5c0b24817041ee4dcd749f4319953516b835d1349aac41 43a6343da901af6de067d2cc1be44a9096)

DHall1
June 28th, 2015, 15:51
Uhhhh
+1000

That is the one. Records!!!!! And late vin with no trans issues

Just go buy this one, great price, good VIN, and all records, maintained well. Great price. Swap out the wood for carbon, will cost $1k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2016&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&searchRadius=500&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=399786533 (http://click.messages.autotrader.com/?qs=5c0b24817041ee4dcd749f4319953516b835d1349aac41 43a6343da901af6de067d2cc1be44a9096)

kruat
June 28th, 2015, 15:53
Well kinda good news, my wife told me that wasn't the same one we drove a year ago, I guess the one I was thinking had the ivory interior. Sorry, when I was shopping I looked at quite a few.

But I was a tech at the portland sunset audi, I left for greener pastures.

kruat
June 28th, 2015, 15:59

I also know I looked at this one. A guy named Martin owns it. I nearly bought it, but he wouldn't drop on his price. I looked it over very closely, no trans codes, had a slight oil leak at the back of motor, and needed new front control arms. And if I remember correctly, front brake pads were getting low.

And as far I as I know, he moved down to California, and I thought he took the car with him. He tried to get me to buy it as a last ditch effort, so he wouldn't have to move it, but I had already picked up my rs.

It does have a very good service history, Martin has a huge binder full of all the receipts. All services done at Sunset Audi (beaverton). He's dropped the price, I was close to buying at 21k.

Bigglezworth
June 28th, 2015, 16:15
If you know exactly what you are looking for (i.e. color for ext and int, condition, maintenance, etc.), why not just look for the exact one regardless of where it is and have it shipped. It's $1200-1400 to have it shipped to your location and there are lots of people on the board that can look at a car for you along with RS6 authorized dealers that can inspect it for $150-250. Budget that in to the final equation and your options expand expodentially. Go check out this forums for sale section as there are a couple of nice examples on there.

G2
June 28th, 2015, 19:57
Hilarious... it's still for sale..I also drove that car. He was pining for $25K when I had bought mine summer 2012, about 2 months later. My car was meticulously cared for by a well off Japanese guy in LA. I literally bought the car in the same city it was originally sold.

In some ways Martin's car was ideal, color combo, straight, not a squeak. But it seemed a bit sluggish if I recall and down on torque. What stands out was the poor oil maintenance and heavily scrubbed tires. Wonder how the turbo's are holding up..

The pictures still don't show where his daughter nicely gouged up the paint (pass door I recall) in one hand-sized area. Young kids ,screw drivers, high zoot cars, unattended in a garage. Not in my house!

Also recall he was "selling" it because said Wife said to. He's done a great job of "honey I just can't seem to sell this things, darn it!".....

It may have the paperwork and history, but how the car was being used (hard, including track days at PIR) and the owners attitude on vehicle car sent me packing. There is more info on this forum, if it's possible to search back that far.

At $17K it might make someone quite happy. I'd have it looked over very closely, at least several hours shop time worth. Be interesting to put it up on the rack for a PPI...

G2
June 28th, 2015, 20:02
FWiW, one of my newer RS6 customers could possibly be talked into selling. I think he's just lost the love for it and doesn't have the time. Original owner. Needs some TLC but still drives nice; turbo's and engine feel strong. About 80K miles.
I put in Amsoil last summer, so the engine is well protected. Was serviced at Barrier Audi, prior to the move down here.

P1054
June 28th, 2015, 20:42
My ideal car would be blue on white with CF trim, SE exhaust and no warm weather package. My dream version would be converted to a 6 speed!

Almost sounds like you're describing my car, except its ebony black pearl instead of blue. If you wanted to take a look at a 6-speed car we could probably meet up. I'm not selling mine by any means, but since you're in the market, the more of them you can look at the better. And I know when I was thinking about the 6-speed conversion I would have loved to have seen/maybe test drove one first, but I didn't get the chance. I went ahead with the conversion anyway and haven't regretted it for a second.

Bigglezworth
June 28th, 2015, 21:13
My ideal car would be blue on white with CF trim, SE exhaust and no warm weather package.http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32206-2003-RS6-For-Sale-with-Fidelity-Warranty

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 21:46
Hilarious... it's still for sale..I also drove that car. He was pining for $25K when I had bought mine summer 2012, about 2 months later. My car was meticulously cared for by a well off Japanese guy in LA. I literally bought the car in the same city it was originally sold.

In some ways Martin's car was ideal, color combo, straight, not a squeak. But it seemed a bit sluggish if I recall and down on torque. What stands out was the poor oil maintenance and heavily scrubbed tires. Wonder how the turbo's are holding up..

The pictures still don't show where his daughter nicely gouged up the paint (pass door I recall) in one hand-sized area. Young kids ,screw drivers, high zoot cars, unattended in a garage. Not in my house!

Also recall he was "selling" it because said Wife said to. He's done a great job of "honey I just can't seem to sell this things, darn it!".....

It may have the paperwork and history, but how the car was being used (hard, including track days at PIR) and the owners attitude on vehicle car sent me packing. There is more info on this forum, if it's possible to search back that far.

At $17K it might make someone quite happy. I'd have it looked over very closely, at least several hours shop time worth. Be interesting to put it up on the rack for a PPI...

I sent him a text and apparently he has taken a deposit for the car, oh well, sounds like it might not have been the right one anyway.

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 21:47
FWiW, one of my newer RS6 customers could possibly be talked into selling. I think he's just lost the love for it and doesn't have the time. Original owner. Needs some TLC but still drives nice; turbo's and engine feel strong. About 80K miles.
I put in Amsoil last summer, so the engine is well protected. Was serviced at Barrier Audi, prior to the move down here.

I'd love to learn more if he's seriously interested in selling.

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 21:52
Almost sounds like you're describing my car, except its ebony black pearl instead of blue. If you wanted to take a look at a 6-speed car we could probably meet up. I'm not selling mine by any means, but since you're in the market, the more of them you can look at the better. And I know when I was thinking about the 6-speed conversion I would have loved to have seen/maybe test drove one first, but I didn't get the chance. I went ahead with the conversion anyway and haven't regretted it for a second.

I really appreciate the offer, I'd love to see more of these cars in person, especially a 6-speed! I'm pretty sure I'd want a 6-speed eventually in any case. Almost every car I've owned has been a manual, I'm currently driving a B7 A4 with a tuned 2.0 and the 6-speed, and I really enjoy it. A similar car with about 200 more horsepower sounds very... nice :)

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 21:58
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32206-2003-RS6-For-Sale-with-Fidelity-Warranty

That one is close, looks like it was the warm weather package, but great color combo. There is another one in the for sale section that is almost exactly the same, also with the warm weather package.

Honestly, I'd really prefer to avoid the WW package if possible, the color is not as important, there really isn't a bad combo on these cars. Your advice about broadening my search is good, I bought a car in Salt Lake City sight-unseen from someone on a forum, and turned out really good. Just need to find the right car and seller!

I really appreciate all the good advice and feedback, makes me a bit less nervous about taking the plunge on one of these cars.

Gregg

GreggPDX
June 28th, 2015, 23:42
Anyone familiar with this car:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5067839599.html

I emailed and it's still available.

G2
June 28th, 2015, 23:46
Guessing he'd just turn it into the dealer if it was at the point.... Seems there is a possibility of intervening that process.

He's due for service very soon and could talk details. Have some pics of it on my shop FB page somewhere.

If there was serious interest on both sides could see about having the car left with me to show.

Feel free to PM your info.

DHall1
June 29th, 2015, 04:27
Ha

Late vin

"Car has never had engine or transmission work"

No sheet Sherlock

Dmb408
June 29th, 2015, 14:35
I would subtract a little on this one for the Hankook Ventus V12 tires. I had those on another car and loved them but everyone on here derided them because they would flat spot from the load of our heavy car. And also in the picture he has started the car with the valet key, that's a little weird. Hopefully he actually has some key fob's.

lswing
June 29th, 2015, 17:06

I swear I've seen that posted a few times on here with those VMR 710 wheels. Maybe the owner will speak up.

Just a thought. Buy the color/feature combo you want, as long as it's in good shape. The cost of maintenance will quickly (1-5 years) become what you actually pay for the car anyhow:), and you can't just go changing colors and interiors...much easier to just fix mechanical stuff.

marklar182
June 29th, 2015, 18:03
My Carbon Fiber trim clearcoat was cracking as well. Matt at oCarbon said it was toast. not repairable.

Texas heat probably caused mine. Was always protected with Aerospace 303.

I still have a new full set from oCarbon (shameless plug). http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31645-FS-New-oCarbon-C5-12pc-Carbon-Fiber-Interior-Trim-Set?highlight=carbon

GreggPDX
June 29th, 2015, 19:11
It's interesting, the car in LA also said the CF finish was cracking on his car. Apparently a more common issue in hot environments.

My Carbon Fiber trim clearcoat was cracking as well. Matt at oCarbon said it was toast. not repairable.

Texas heat probably caused mine. Was always protected with Aerospace 303.

I still have a new full set from oCarbon (shameless plug). http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31645-FS-New-oCarbon-C5-12pc-Carbon-Fiber-Interior-Trim-Set?highlight=carbon

Bigglezworth
June 29th, 2015, 19:36
Of the trio of RS6's I had here, all three of them had a crack on at least one of either the driver or passenger door trim and the passenger dash trim. Certainly didn't hamper my purchase of a 20K ride though.... If you're balking at a piece of cracked trim on a 12yr old vehicle, then you might be happier at purchasing a new car with warranty.

GreggPDX
June 29th, 2015, 19:52
Of the trio of RS6's I had here, all three of them had a crack on at least one of either the driver or passenger door trim and the passenger dash trim. Certainly didn't hamper my purchase of a 20K ride though.... If you're balking at a piece of cracked trim on a 12yr old vehicle, then you might be happier at purchasing a new car with warranty.

Maybe you're right, I should just retain my sanity and get this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5095351601.html

Similar to an RS6, no?

Chung
June 29th, 2015, 20:54
I have a few of my interior panels are cracked but it is not super noticeable (not peeling though). It feel like maybe the inserts just couldn't take the the bending of the car. My car is in Tigard if you would like to see in person or I could post a photo. Note I have a piano black trim.

lswing
June 29th, 2015, 21:08
Maybe you're right, I should just retain my sanity and get this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5095351601.html

Similar to an RS6, no?

It's loaded with new features and comforts, and well, would be crap to drive:) I just finished up 600 miles on Texas highways and back roads...good thing fuel is cheap.

DHall1
June 29th, 2015, 22:59
No cracks in mine.

Hot AZ

Huper ceramic nano tint

Other_Erik
June 30th, 2015, 12:52
Just a quick thought from my experiences

1) Go for the color combo you want - this is the hardest/most expensive changeover. If you want Mugello on Ivory, don't settle for anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love my black on black, but looking back I wish I'd held off for Mugello on black.
2) Don't sweat the small stuff - cracked trim is a minuscule fraction of what you'll be shelling out.
3) Service records or walk - If there's not a binder of records including at least the last time the timing belt was done, not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd consider the purchase.
4) Inspection - if you have to ask what to look for, just have it PPI'ed at any Audi dealership with a Master Tech / R8 tech on staff - they'll charge between an hour to an hour and a half of labor to PPI. Check that out, look for high-dollar recommended repairs, ignore any "Level 1" leaks (that means there is enough oil at a seam to collect some dust, but no actual seepage/drip), and talk to the owner, see if they'll get any of those done for the price they're asking
5) Inspection - I harp on it, but you'll see why if you follow up. If the PPI looks solid, no major issues, have a CPO inspection done - this will be more like 4-5 hours of labor, but will tell you _every_ _single_ _detail_ that needs to be addressed. I bought into my car knowing every piece of worn trim and every creak and rattle without ever having physically seen it.

On to the small stuff -
If you want CF Trim, I highly recommend buying from whoever it is here that has a set ready to go. I ordered mine through OCarbon and am absolutely THRILLED with the finished product - it looks and fits fantastic, no complaints on the product itself. It just took over 6 months to get it. Matt at OCarbon is a perfectionist. If the part isn't right, he doesn't send it out, and of course I ordered right around the time they were moving to a larger facility, so things got backed up further than usual. In the end, he made it right, and I'm a happy customer, but for awhile there I was pretty livid about the whole thing.
If you think you'll want a 6-speed, there are more than a few conversions that are up for sale - I think at one point when I looked at the FS page here, there were 10 active listings, and 7 of them were 6-speed conversions. Personally, I'm too fond of the slushbox with the traffic I have to deal with in the DC area to even consider a manual anything, but that's just me. If I could choose it, I'd swap out the ZF5HP24 for any of the new 6- or 7- speed TipAuto's built for the HP/TQ numbers we drop all day - the trans is the weak link on this car, but at least mine was R&R'ed at 97k miles under the CPO warranty (a couple years before I bought it)

Keep us posted on what you're finding and liking, we may know the car, the owner, the dealer trying to scam you... I warned away a couple people from a Mugello on Black in NJ that had 80k miles (and never had the timing belt done) - sure enough it showed up on the auction block with a siezed engine about a year later. Damn good thing I'd had the PPI done! Oh, and listen to the folks like Bigglezworth, Dhall1, lswing, G2 (Gary), etc... they're WAY more experienced than I am with these cars - I consider myself an amateur enthusiast compared to them.

One last piece of good news is that you're in the PNW - you have a couple fabulous shops and local enthusiasts who can help you with anything from a tune-up to an Avant conversion. I'm stuck in the doldrums of DC, where the pretentious locals have priced most of the genuinely good mechanics out of the market.

Here I thought I was going to keep this brief... never seems to happen for me.

O_E

GreggPDX
June 30th, 2015, 17:51
Thanks for the advice (from everyone), I really appreciate it! I agree that I need to wait for the right car with the options (and history) I want. It was hard not to jump after driving one last week. My first reaction was "I NEED this car NOW!, take my money!", but I resisted that impulse and walked away. Regarding the color and trim issues, there are several combinations I like, and the trim is not a big deal. Probably the only option that is a "deal-breaker" is the warm weather package, I really don't want it. Obviously, if I could find a well sorted 6-speed conversion, that would be ideal, but I don't mind the slushbox for a while. I saw one 6-speed currently for sale on FS board, but it looks like that one might be sold. I'll dig back to see if I can find any older ones that might still be out there.

One random question, on one of the cars for sale in Seattle at a dealer, I saw this picture:

Any idea what those red and white lights/buttons under the display are for?

Thanks again to everyone!
Gregg

lswing
June 30th, 2015, 19:07
One random question, on one of the cars for sale in Seattle at a dealer, I saw this picture:

Gregg

Radar detector warning lights.

Why are you so against the warm weather package? Personally, even when I lived in the NW, I really liked it. The solar sunroof powers a fan in the dash which circulates air and keeps the car fresh, and cooler on hot days. I like how it's a solid sunroof, as I don't like the standard type with a manual slide underneath to allow light in. It angles up nicely, and slides all the way open if you need, but won't let light in when closed is a downside I suppose. Each to their own, just wanted to mention more details. Plus the rear power shade is just a nice luxury touch.

As mentioned, most important is body color and interior as both would be costly to change. Also recommend the matte black tipped SE Exhaust, sounds better and looks better; a $1k factory option, and on most cars it seems.

Other_Erik
June 30th, 2015, 19:11

Gregg

Probably a radar detector

O_E

Dmb408
June 30th, 2015, 20:05
That is a k40 radar laser detector most likely. You will find the front mount unit in the fog light grill area, and then lay on your back and look under the rear bumper cover by the exhaust to find the rear detector/jammer if it has it. I have K40 on my car. Personally, I actually like my Passport better (new one in my other car) because I have trust in the Passport. I haven't quite figured out the K40 yet.

GreggPDX
June 30th, 2015, 20:23
Thanks for the quick reply's on the radar detector!

Regarding my angst about the warm weather package, I'm mostly concerned about all the additional under-hood plumbing. It looks like it adds additional weight and complexity to an already heavy and complex car. I've seen several discussions about removing it, but it seems like a hassle. I realize it's overall probably not a big deal, and there are certainly some up-sides to it, but I'd still prefer to avoid it. It also seems that many of the cars in the PNW don't have it (at least from what I've seen), so that works well for me.

lswing
June 30th, 2015, 21:40
Regarding my angst about the warm weather package, I'm mostly concerned about all the additional under-hood plumbing. It looks like it adds additional weight and complexity to an already heavy and complex car. I've seen several discussions about removing it, but it seems like a hassle. I realize it's overall probably not a big deal, and there are certainly some up-sides to it, but I'd still prefer to avoid it. It also seems that many of the cars in the PNW don't have it (at least from what I've seen), so that works well for me.

You're confusing the warm weather package (sunroof and window shades) with the Auxiliary Radiator package that was added to all North American cars. I think this was mentioned earlier, briefly. Basically Audi Europe didn't know if a car would end up in WA or CA, so they equipped all NA cars with the extra cooling for the engine. I only removed mine because it was leaking badly. I did experience a slight benefit in decreased heat soak of the IC's, where the aux rads sit right behind, but not sure if it was really a good trade off. Although I've never seen any temps rise higher than they should, I have worried that the slightly higher engine temp has attributed to slightly higher oil and trans fluid temps, which is not good. You can easily have a mechanic pull and plumb the Auxiliary radiators if you know you are staying in Oregon/WA for good. Would highly recommend that you install water meth if you do this or you won't be happy performance wise come summer (warm weather performance sucks anyhow). Cooling is one of the best things you can do for this car as you know.

Edit; "Easily remove" if you have a very good RS6 mechanic...a standard shop will bend you over as with any other work.

GreggPDX
June 30th, 2015, 22:14
Yes, I was definitely confused. I was under the impression that the WW package included the auxiliary radiators as well. I guess the upside is that now I don't care if the care has the package or not. More choices, yay! :)

You're confusing the warm weather package (sunroof and window shades) with the Auxiliary Radiator package that was added to all North American cars. I think this was mentioned earlier, briefly. Basically Audi Europe didn't know if a car would end up in WA or CA, so they equipped all NA cars with the extra cooling for the engine. I only removed mine because it was leaking badly. I did experience a slight benefit in decreased heat soak of the IC's, where the aux rads sit right behind, but not sure if it was really a good trade off. Although I've never seen any temps rise higher than they should, I have worried that the slightly higher engine temp has attributed to slightly higher oil and trans fluid temps, which is not good. You can easily have a mechanic pull and plumb the Auxiliary radiators if you know you are staying in Oregon/WA for good. Would highly recommend that you install water meth if you do this or you won't be happy performance wise come summer (warm weather performance sucks anyhow). Cooling is one of the best things you can do for this car as you know.

Edit; "Easily remove" if you have a very good RS6 mechanic...a standard shop will bend you over as with any other work.

orcars6
June 30th, 2015, 23:50

Yes, I know this car- I tried to take a look and buy it back in 2013 and owner was still on the fence and kept changing his mind- it was located in Northern California at the time in San Ramon, I believe, and he has been trying to finally get rid of it for that long- wife wanted it gone but he hung on. I settled on a 55,000 mile ebony/ ebony instead.

Interestingly its in S. Cal. with almost the same high miles as prior.

Good luck.

Other_Erik
July 1st, 2015, 12:13
If you pick up a beast with the warm weather package (solar sunroof, window shades), I'll gladly swap you for my non-solar package. Virginia heat and mugginess are a real drag, and the wifey's A6 has the rear windscreen / rear window shades, they definitely help cut the temperature. Would love to get some tint to help cut heat here, but nothing below 75% transmittance is legal without a doctor's note (and then it's a license restriction, better not get caught driving a vehicle without that tint)

O_E

lswing
July 10th, 2015, 13:49
OK, here's your car, not going to get much better...plus you'll have a great drive back to PDX.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32237-FS-2003-RS6-Avus-Silver

GreggPDX
July 10th, 2015, 15:55
OK, here's your car, not going to get much better...plus you'll have a great drive back to PDX.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32237-FS-2003-RS6-Avus-Silver

Rick reached out to me and we are chatting :)

On a semi-related side note, when I was coming into work today, I was walking across the parking lot when I heard nice-sounding rumble nearby. I thought to myself, "I really like the sound of that car!". When I looked, sure enough, it was a Daytona Grey RS6. I think it was a message!

lswing
July 10th, 2015, 17:11
Rick reached out to me and we are chatting :)

On a semi-related side note, when I was coming into work today, I was walking across the parking lot when I heard nice-sounding rumble nearby. I thought to myself, "I really like the sound of that car!". When I looked, sure enough, it was a Daytona Grey RS6. I think it was a message!

Cool. Maybe $19k and have him throw in those sweet summer wheels:) Sorry Rick! Actually I think the price is excellent considering the $8k in new trans and other goodies.

GreggPDX
July 17th, 2015, 00:00
What color is this car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5102290401.html

It says Daytona Grey, but it looks lighter to me. Maybe it's the lighting, but it seems like other cars I have seen are quite a bit darker.

lswing
July 17th, 2015, 00:15
What color is this car?

It says Daytona Grey, but it looks lighter to me. Maybe it's the lighting, but it seems like other cars I have seen are quite a bit darker.

It's gotta be Avus Silver...Daytona Gray is fairly dark.

Bigglezworth
July 17th, 2015, 00:21
Avus silver without a doubt.

G2
July 17th, 2015, 02:14
Regarding the Kia.....nothing like flushing 20K on something that will bore one to their dreary demise, every day....both ways. Had one for a month as a rental few years ago (the Japanese car took an engine-out dump, despite perfect maintenance). It was actually pretty good for that purpose.

I had wanted for the Warm Weather package, until discovering or realizing it wasn't also a moonroof. The rear sunshades are great, however, and still do miss the rear electric window screen.

If the right color combo comes your way, even better. I ended up with completely the opposite of what I wanted. But it grew on me, and the car was otherwise what I wanted and needed.

DHall1
July 17th, 2015, 05:19
Clean interior

Fair weather location

Beware of harsh element weather locations

What color is this car?

Bigglezworth
July 17th, 2015, 05:45
Beware of harsh element weather locations????????

DHall1
July 17th, 2015, 06:05
???????????

[ZQUOTE=Bigglezworth;275997]????????[/QUOTE]

Bigglezworth
July 17th, 2015, 18:14
Cars located in demographics with "harsh element weather" are in NO way any less suitable for purchase than any other location. One can easily state that you shouldn't buy a car in hot southern states because of sun rot, paint oxidation, etc. One can also easily state you shouldn't buy a car where winter weather exists because of rock chips, salt on the roads, etc. Finally, one can easily state you shouldn't buy a car in areas where there are hurricanes or floods. List goes on. While I understand why the comment is made, I have to disagree that it globally means 'stay away'.

Don't forget that frequently those with nice cars in locations that experience "harsh element weather" have more than one car.... The 'nice' car only comes out during late spring through summer and in to early fall months and experiences weather that is no different than southern locations that don't receive winter snow. That means less miles on the car, and means it's garaged even more.

Bottomline just ensure the car has been properly taken care of regardless of location. Cosmetic items affected by rocks, sun rot, etc., are just that - cosmetic - and something you account for as part of price - not performance.

Other_Erik
July 17th, 2015, 18:26
Cars located in demographics with "harsh element weather" are in NO way any less suitable for purchase than any other location. One can easily state that you shouldn't buy a car in hot southern states because of sun rot, paint oxidation, etc. One can also easily state you shouldn't buy a car where winter weather exists because of rock chips, salt on the roads, etc. Finally, one can easily state you shouldn't buy a car in areas where there are hurricanes or floods. List goes on. While I understand why the comment is made, I have to disagree that it globally means 'stay away'.

Don't forget that frequently those with nice cars in locations that experience "harsh element weather" have more than one car.... The 'nice' car only comes out during late spring through summer and in to early fall months and experiences weather that is no different than southern locations that don't receive winter snow. That means less miles on the car, and means it's garaged even more.

Bottomline just ensure the car has been properly taken care of regardless of location. Cosmetic items affected by rocks, sun rot, etc., are just that - cosmetic - and something you account for as part of price - not performance.

and with that...

DHall1
July 17th, 2015, 21:53
I only said beware.

We are all grown boys and understand how regions and weather play a role in condition.

In no way shape or form did I say less suitable... so lets not put words in my mouth. Eh

Bigglezworth
July 17th, 2015, 22:46
I only said beware.

We are all grown boys and understand how regions and weather play a role in condition.

In no way shape or form did I say less suitable... so lets not put words in my mouth. EhCome on Dave. You well implied such. Geesh. You're fortunate enough to be one of the few with more than one RS6 AND fortunate enough to have at least one of those in show room condition because of demographics. We can't all benefit that way. Like you, I have more than one. I use one for winter and one for summer. In no way does my living above the 49th parallel mean my rides are not suitable for purchase. >sigh< :)

DHall1
July 18th, 2015, 04:16
I had no idea we had royalty on the forum

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFQFf_Vb0Hw

Come on Dave. You well implied such. Geesh. You're fortunate enough to be one of the few with more than one RS6 AND fortunate enough to have at least one of those in show room condition because of demographics. We can't all benefit that way. Like you, I have more than one. I use one for winter and one for summer. In no way does my living above the 49th parallel mean my rides are not suitable for purchase. >sigh< :)