PDA

View Full Version : The Avant is on BaT

Dmb408
June 23rd, 2015, 19:13
I know we had a thread on this car already but I couldn't find it. The BaT comments are already great; I better not let my wife see that comments section.

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/06/23/full-rs6-swap-2003-audi-s6-avant/

lswing
June 23rd, 2015, 21:42
No honey, nobody wants to buy my car, guess I'll have to keep it, darn...

Dmb408
June 24th, 2015, 14:38
The comments thread has gotten pretty good.

Turbowned
June 25th, 2015, 18:12
Best comment:

"A clever Ingolstadt savant
Converted his Audi Avant
It must be a hoot
With a manual, to boot!
I’d love to buy it but can’t.
Um, cahn’t."

Bigglezworth
June 26th, 2015, 02:00
One of this forums members who used to own an RS6 sedan posted a comment that states you can import an Avant (suggesting it's easy peasy) - which it isn't..... Lots of other uneducated people on why this particular ride is uncommon (in the US) and why it costs what it does to 'make' one. That said - Steve well knows it can be done for less even once you account for the donor, and the swap parts (albeit at the expense of his own free labour...).

Just over 18 months until I can legally import a 2002 model. Going to hope to get in contact with someone that speaks english over in Denmark or Germany area and see if I can work with them (at a nominal fee) to assist with sourcing a local ride then supporting efforts with payment and shipping. I have even considered doing two at once since the shipping ecomonics come in to place with the 40' container vs. the 20'. What I haven't taken the time to confirm yet is whether or not you could create two levels and stack them so that you can fit 4 inside one container. Now there's a good group buy hey?

Bigglezworth
June 26th, 2015, 05:51
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/527044-Project-Snow-White-S6-Thread?highlight=RS6+avant+S6

UrS6
June 26th, 2015, 16:17
One of this forums members who used to own an RS6 sedan posted a comment that states you can import an Avant (suggesting it's easy peasy) - which it isn't..... Lots of other uneducated people on why this particular ride is uncommon (in the US) and why it costs what it does to 'make' one. That said - Steve well knows it can be done for less even once you account for the donor, and the swap parts (albeit at the expense of his own free labour...).

Just over 18 months until I can legally import a 2002 model. Going to hope to get in contact with someone that speaks english over in Denmark or Germany area and see if I can work with them (at a nominal fee) to assist with sourcing a local ride then supporting efforts with payment and shipping. I have even considered doing two at once since the shipping ecomonics come in to place with the 40' container vs. the 20'. What I haven't taken the time to confirm yet is whether or not you could create two levels and stack them so that you can fit 4 inside one container. Now there's a good group buy hey?

Can be imported. Not cheap or easy. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2006-04-25/html/E6-6135.htm

Turbowned
June 26th, 2015, 18:06
"they are capable of being readily altered to conform to the (FMVSS) standards"

That's the spendy part, there. Didn't we have a forum member going through this headache about a year ago?

Dmb408
June 26th, 2015, 19:16
i think he was thinking of the b5 rs4 wagons which are easier to import right?

Bigglezworth
June 27th, 2015, 02:16
Can be imported. Not cheap or easy.Correct. That's what I said.

lswing
June 27th, 2015, 02:32
"they are capable of being readily altered to conform to the (FMVSS) standards"

That's the spendy part, there. Didn't we have a forum member going through this headache about a year ago?

Guy tried to do it, was going to be $30-40k and one year...he sent the car back. Forced to use all new OEM parts to conform.