PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the rear caliper piston retracted.

atikovi
June 16th, 2015, 01:19
On my 2003 RS6. Using a proper tool that turns the piston while pressing it in and turning clockwise. Piston turns fine but when the tool touches the caliper ears so as to press it in, I can't turn it any more. The pistons are almost all the way out as the pads are worn thin. Could the piston be seized? Both rotors are quite rusty as if there hasn't been any braking action in a while. Should I take them apart and rebuild?

atikovi
June 16th, 2015, 02:30
Never mind got them both in after trying again.

Dmb408
June 16th, 2015, 02:45
I was in the shop recently picking up my car recently and another RS6 was on the rack and I was asking what was getting done and they said he had his calipers rebuilt. They said one was sticking so they sent them out to a shop that rebuilt them all for some ungodly cheap price. Just thought I'd add that comment to this thread in case someone found your thread but was having a caliper not retract fully under more normal operation.

atikovi
June 16th, 2015, 03:00
Yep, a rebuild kit is $3 at Rock Auto.

lswing
June 16th, 2015, 03:15
Yep, a rebuild kit is $3k...

Fixed!....

SteveKen
June 16th, 2015, 03:53
Retracting them is tricky if you don't have the exact thread pitch on the retraction tool. I had to rotate/push, then unwind a bit and keep repeating this to get mine to retract when I rebuilt them. They are also super tricky to get started once they've been out.