PDA

View Full Version : Phaeton Ducts...my twist

BradP
June 15th, 2015, 19:35
I know this has been hashed out a number of times, but thought I'd share. Simply a couple of pieces a bar stock rather than a bunch of sheet metal trimming. They came out nice and stiff. There's slight interference with the headlight sensor on the driver side and the coilover bolt on the passenger side at full lock. Not a big deal in my book:) Ducts were $50 each off Ebay, but well worth it for the ease of the transaction and install. And yes, those are the rusty looking torx heads from the backing plates being re-used. Maybe I should have taken a Sharpie to them before snapping pics:hihi:

hahnmgh63
June 15th, 2015, 20:31
Nice job. On a DE day at the track I noticed a difference from a previous DE that I did without them..

BradP
June 15th, 2015, 21:05
That's good to hear. I had my first day at Pacific Friday without ducts. The brakes ran fairly cool after drilling out the JHM rotor hats:hey: I have another day at Pacific coming in July to try out the ducts. It'd be nice to get some mileage out of the brakes.

4everRS
June 16th, 2015, 05:27
When you say "drilling our the rotor hats", what do you mean? Also, no backing plates still correct?

I'd be very interested in finding out how long the jhm rotors last. I did a track day a couple weeks ago. I am using the phaeton duct kit (with backing plate), but I'm getting tired of the drilled rotors. I think they're eating my pads, and causing grooving in the rotor face.

BradP
June 16th, 2015, 19:55

10 half inch holes angled a bit to kinda' scoop the air. Seems like JHM hats are the only ones I've seen the will not allow outside air in. Lots of material here. So, I wasn't too worried about strength.

Still running no backing plates. I probably take off the rear ones the next time I'm back there.

I have 5 track days using EBC blues. They're cheap, and intended to be consumable. 2 track days per set on both the stock and JHM rotors (about 1/8th inch wear per day and swapping at half thickness). Equal amount of grooving (about 3-5 thousandths). The JHM rotors actually seemed to run hotter than stock initially, but I have nothing concrete to base that on other than noise and shreading the pads. It was sounding like a locomotive coming into the rail yard, and the pad wear was chunky (with the JHM...). This last day (new pads) with the hats drilled, the pad wear is about 1/16th of an inch and the rotors have a shinier color (rather than the dark heat cycled look). The grooving from the previous days actually feels a bit flatter to my uncalibrated finger nail:hahahehe: Bear in mind this was my first time at that track. However, this track is supposed to be hard on brakes due to higher speeds.

I know what you mean about the cross-drilling seeming to wear the pads quickly. I'm thinking it's more about heat than anything, but that's a guess. It does look like the JHM's would cool better once you get air to the center of the rotor.

I'll be trying some Hawk DTC-30's after this set of pads.