PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Slip

topcat_92
June 15th, 2015, 17:29
The wife has been driving the RS lately, and mentioned that 'it's shifting funny' late last week. Took the RS for a spin this weekend, and sure enough, slipping in the low gears. I assume I am looking at a tranny re-build. I have a previously scheduled service at the dealer, and they'll likely confirm my assumption.

Question: Anyone know of other options for re-builds in Seattle other than the dealer, or am I dipping into the RS maintenance fund a little further?

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

lswing
June 15th, 2015, 17:41
You want to go here, http://www.fastaudi.com/

Yep, sounds like your clutch packs are toast. Open it up and fluid should be full of debris/shiny flakes. AMD had a great reputation for labor, tuning, and manual swaps. You may want to ship the trans off for a rebuild at $3,500-$5,500. Labor should be around $3-4k from AMD, I would roughly assume. Shipping on the trans for the rebuild is only ~$150 each way, and around $1k core deposit.

DHall1
June 15th, 2015, 19:24
Amd for the R&R

tozo for the rebuild. Tozo had some cores so he could ship one out ahead of time.

topcat_92
June 17th, 2015, 21:51
Amd for the R&R

tozo for the rebuild. Tozo had some cores so he could ship one out ahead of time.

Yep, metallic debris in the fluid. Thanks for the tips and referrals. Will reach out to Tozo.

hahnmgh63
June 18th, 2015, 00:15
I might have a good tranny but not until fall now. Was going to do my 6sp swap right around now but I think I'm going to hold out until fall. Too many other projects going now and I don't want the car off the road right now although I only drive it 1 to 2 days a week. I actually just hit 5K on the rebuilt tranny and I'm going to do a fluid change on it this weekend. I know, I'm anal, did a break-in oil change on the tranny around 800~1000miles and doing a second one now at 5K. Probably won't need another change for 30~40K after that.

ben916
June 18th, 2015, 16:22
The wife has been driving the RS lately, and mentioned that 'it's shifting funny' late last week. Took the RS for a spin this weekend, and sure enough, slipping in the low gears. I assume I am looking at a tranny re-build. I have a previously scheduled service at the dealer, and they'll likely confirm my assumption.

Question: Anyone know of other options for re-builds in Seattle other than the dealer, or am I dipping into the RS maintenance fund a little further?

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

My experience with University Audi (yeah that damn song from the commercial just popped/pooped into my head) was this:
I negotiated with the lead tech for timing belt service.
I provided the parts (assuming they were correctly purchased), they provided the labor and warrantied their work.
In the long run, I saved $$$$ but then again, it was equity time searching for parts.

If I still had my RS6 and I was content with the AutoBox, I would have AMD in Woodinville R&R the work.
Second would be University.
"F" Barrier.
"F" Larson.

topcat_92
June 18th, 2015, 20:19
I might have a good tranny but not until fall now. Was going to do my 6sp swap right around now but I think I'm going to hold out until fall. Too many other projects going now and I don't want the car off the road right now although I only drive it 1 to 2 days a week. I actually just hit 5K on the rebuilt tranny and I'm going to do a fluid change on it this weekend. I know, I'm anal, did a break-in oil change on the tranny around 800~1000miles and doing a second one now at 5K. Probably won't need another change for 30~40K after that.

Thanks for the post. PM'd you.

topcat_92
June 18th, 2015, 20:23
Amd for the R&R

Thanks, PM'd Tozo

topcat_92
June 18th, 2015, 20:25
Scott,

My experience with University Audi (yeah that damn song from the commercial just popped/pooped into my head) was this:
I negotiated with the lead tech for timing belt service.
I provided the parts (assuming they were correctly purchased), they provided the labor and warrantied their work.
In the long run, I saved $$$$ but then again, it was equity time searching for parts.

If I still had my RS6 and I was content with the AutoBox, I would have AMD in Woodinville R&R the work.
Second would be University.
"F" Barrier.
"F" Larson.
Thanks for the post. University has been good to work with, so haven't had to go anywhere else. Left a message and e-mailed AMD earlier in the week, no call back yet. I'll update the post once I figure-out how to proceed.

Cheers.