PDA

View Full Version : New Tranny in and car on road with one issue...please help!

orcars6
June 15th, 2015, 15:54
Ok. It took 6 weeks not 3 to have tranny replaced along with EGT sensors/ starter etc. RS6 is back and on the road driving very nicely....but, noted that shift-lever does not line-up with corresponding letter as it sits slightly below each respective drive mode....and can be pushed from one to the other with relative ease....thumb-knob does not always pop-out after setting in respective Drive/ Sport etc. Still standard push in and go from Park to Reverse or Neutral but between Drive and Sport it is almost fluid which is not what I recall from other original tranny shifter. It is going back to the dealer tomorrow to correct this problem??? With the rest of you; does the thumb-knob always pop-out when going from drive to sport or visa- versa??? This is really not satisfactory and I am going to make a stink of it to get it corrected one way or another. Feedback appreciated!

lswing
June 15th, 2015, 16:10
Damn, that mechanic sucks, or is just rude to give your car back like that. Yes, thumb button always pops out; goes in and out with no friction, just the spring pressure. There is a shift cable of some sort from the shifter to the trans I believe, and I'll wager they did not replace/adjust correctly. Also, give the trans 500 miles and plenty of shifts before hard driving. I would have your fluid level double checked by another shop, or maybe the current one. They may have just messed up the shift stick/lever when doing their work, not sure. I've had my trans/tc replaced three times and this was never an issue, came back perfect each time.

orcars6
June 15th, 2015, 17:11
lswing....yes it is inferior service to let it pass at this level. They are a good shop but still not a ten! Just so I have all my ducks in order- you do have to push thumb knob in to go from Sport to Drive as I recall?....after all this time I am just checking again and again....I think they set the trans to shifter just a 3/8" North leaving no room for the shifter to fit into the S slot thus activating a complete lock-in where thumb knob should pop out!

orcars6
June 17th, 2015, 22:32
Gentlemen, I am having a dispute w/ dealership as per. notes above- can you tell me the following: Auto-Shifter lever requires push in thumb knob and foot on brake to engage shifter to respective R/N/D/S yes - got that and my car is fine w/ that!

Next: When shifting into R - does thumb knob fully extend and click?
Next: When shifting into D does thumb knob need to be depressed in order to do so or does the shifter move fluidly from R to D and visa versa?
Next: When shifting into Sport from Drive...does knob need to be depressed and when engaged into Sport- does the knob fully extend and lock in place and is the thumb knob required to be depressed ( pressed in) to move back into Drive or is it a fluid shift not requiring the thumb- knob to be active???

Please help as it will prove me right or wrong.

Thx.

orcars6
June 17th, 2015, 22:34
Simpler question: when shifting into Sport from Drive- does shifter thumb knob pop-out and lock in place or does thumb knob remain depressed as mine currently is???

P1054
June 17th, 2015, 23:24
Well I don't have my automatic anymore, but this is what I remember.

Shifting out of Park: brake and button both need to be pressed.
Shifting from reverse to neutral: no button press needed
Shifting from neutral to drive: no button press needed
Shifting from drive to sport: need to press the button in or it won't go
Shifting from sport to drive: no button press needed, it pops out once it is in drive
Shifting from drive to neutral: no button press needed, it just stays out
Shifting from neutral to reverse: need to press the button
Shifting from reverse to park: need to press the button

Can someone with an automatic confirm or correct me?

orcars6
June 17th, 2015, 23:41
Thx. for quick response- when in Sport position is button fully extended and locked in or NOT??? Does button fully extend itself when in Sport???

DHall1
June 18th, 2015, 01:05
The button does not fully extend in sport

And its not locked in

[QqUOTE=orcars6;275446]Thx. for quick response- when in Sport position is button fully extended and locked in or NOT??? Does button fully extend itself when in Sport???[/QUOTE]

DHall1
June 18th, 2015, 01:07
There are 2 steps to the button.

In

Step 1 partial out

Step 2 all the way out

In sport the button comes out but only to step 1

Simpler question: when shifting into Sport from Drive- does shifter thumb knob pop-out and lock in place or does thumb knob remain depressed as mine currently is???

orcars6
June 18th, 2015, 02:31
P1054/ DHall1, makes sense- thank you. I think al is well but shifter does not line-up as prior to respective Letter(s)...it sits slightly below and does not feel 'look' right! I am going to try for an adjustment as superficial as it is!!!

Dmb408
June 18th, 2015, 13:40
The trans was replaced on my car by Audi in 07 and 08 and my lever moves around way too easy compared to my other car that never had its trans replaced, FWIW

lswing
June 18th, 2015, 13:59
The trans was replaced on my car by Audi in 07 and 08 and my lever moves around way too easy compared to my other car that never had its trans replaced, FWIW

I've had the TC replaced once, and the trans replaced twice. It has been exactly the same each time, perfect/firm shifting. Guessing they didn't tighten something down, again maybe the shift cable to the trans needs adjusting to have more tension.