PDA

View Full Version : EGT Sensor bad!

jaymon
June 5th, 2015, 18:36
Just wondering what happens if I don't replace this? Only one sensor is throwing a code. Stealership wants $3,400 to fix!

RS2racer
June 5th, 2015, 19:00
It's a lot of work to replace as they're in the spot where the DP's meet the turbos . It's about $700 for the kit for both. Can't really buy just 1 anymore nor would you want to. Need EGT's for fail safes . I actually just asked if they can be coded out, not a good idea.

lswing
June 5th, 2015, 19:19
^^^What he said. You can code out, some do, but you risk loosing your engine if you run into fuel/air troubles. The EGT's will flood the engine at 100% injector duty if things get too hot, above 2000F.

Here are some notes on possible cheap fixes, http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance.

The EGT's as a pair are $600, and the labor is to remove the engine basically, or close to it. So 20 hours labor @ $125 plus the parts and other small things could put your bill around $3k.

Keep an eye on things and clear the code weekly with VCDS if you don't like seeing the CEL.

Bigglezworth
June 5th, 2015, 20:11
First thind to do is pop off the cover for the bad EGT and ensure all the solder joints are good. These frequently have been known to have heat cracks that cause the sensor to not work. Do a search. There are threads on this specific item. That not working, EGT's can be removed by dropping the engine/cradle without unhooking any electronics, fuel, front clip hoses, etc. It's a nominal 4-6 hour job for someone who's removed the engine before. You do need to have the front clip in service position and have the front Y-pipe removed along with front snubber mount removed. Most everything else that needs to be removed to drop an engine can still stay hooked up though as you need to drop it 6-8" so that you can access the top of the DP's from above. Do a search for DP removal and you will see photos and discussion on this.

lswing
June 5th, 2015, 22:24
First thind to do is pop off the cover for the bad EGT and ensure all the solder joints are good. These frequently have been known to have heat cracks that cause the sensor to not work. Do a search. There are threads on this specific item. That not working, EGT's can be removed by dropping the engine/cradle without unhooking any electronics, fuel, front clip hoses, etc. It's a nominal 4-6 hour job for someone who's removed the engine before. You do need to have the front clip in service position and have the front Y-pipe removed along with front snubber mount removed. Most everything else that needs to be removed to drop an engine can still stay hooked up though as you need to drop it 6-8" so that you can access the top of the DP's from above. Do a search for DP removal and you will see photos and discussion on this.

Unfortunately most shops and mechanics don't seem to have the experience, and I think things tend to take longer as random things/work interruptions come up. But yes, I'm sure my old mechanic would knock it out in the hours described. Thanks for the details on the process Biggz!

2000c43
June 7th, 2015, 05:21
I had the bad EGT code and thought I'd have to drop the engine to replace the EGT sensors. I followed Bigglezworth's suggestion, popped off the covers, and re-flowed the solder on the EGT sensors on the firewall and I am going on over a year without any EGT issues since that fix.