PDA

View Full Version : gearbox or torque converter help

carl1968
May 29th, 2015, 21:37
I'm needing some advice, lost 1st gear about 6 weeks ago, replacement gearbox sourced with paperwork, all seemed well, gearbox fitted (amongst other things!) and now on start up it sounds like a whining power steering pump noise is coming from the gearbox, it will shift into all gears and seems to change up and down smoothly but the noise varies with engine speed. I'm wondering if anyone has come up against this issue and if so what was it?, I did not replace the TC but i'm thinking that it could have thrown in the towel?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, car is RS6 C5 (2003) with ZF 5 speed box,
I have heard of a brass TC upgrade but cannot find any info on it??
Carl

P1054
May 29th, 2015, 22:09
I had asimilar issue once, it turns out the filter O-ring was left off on reassembly. This caused the pump to suck in air along with the fluid and made a whining noise similar to what you're describing. The other thing I would check is the fluid filter pick up tube length, I've heard some come too long and cause the tube to contact the bottom of the pan. This can cause fluid starvation issues. Both of these are fairly simple to check, you just need to drain the fluid and remove the transmission pan and filter. Just be sure to follow the proper procedure for refilling the fluid.

DHall1
May 29th, 2015, 22:11
I don't know of a shop that would fit a new trans without a new tc.

Wow

are you sure it's not a ps pump whine?

replace the tc

lswing
May 30th, 2015, 02:59
Never heard of any brass TC option helping, standard rebuild upgrades seals, solid. This should have been done as I hope you're not still on a stock TC. Last 5 of VIN number and miles please?You could just be low on fluid. The manual is in the Extras section of my website, see sig. Low fluid causes whine and these are tough to fill.Where is the trans from, Audi or other company rebuild?

DHall1
May 30th, 2015, 03:11
2nd this

Check fluid level....if ok, then check oring.....if ok, then replace tc

I had asimilar issue once, it turns out the filter O-ring was left off on reassembly. This caused the pump to suck in air along with the fluid and made a whining noise similar to what you're describing. The other thing I would check is the fluid filter pick up tube length, I've heard some come too long and cause the tube to contact the bottom of the pan. This can cause fluid starvation issues. Both of these are fairly simple to check, you just need to drain the fluid and remove the transmission pan and filter. Just be sure to follow the proper procedure for refilling the fluid.