PDA

View Full Version : New Rotors front and rear - it's the easiest thing to do on an RS6 besides Driving it

Aronis
May 16th, 2015, 20:32
Fronts done at 45k miles under warrantee
Fronts again at 96K miles myself, $820 for the parts from Audi.
Fronts and Rears at 138,000 miles. $1000 for all four, partsgeek.com

Brakes done at 73 k and 116 k miles. The dealer must have done them some time around 35k ,but I did not see a record of that, I'll have to check again.

That is not bad life on the brakes and rotors.

:)

Mike

A4V8swap
May 16th, 2015, 22:42
Wish I could get these. They won't ship to Hawaii and I've emailed them multiple times about a quote to Hawaii and they wont respond.

Aronis
May 17th, 2015, 02:30
ship to a friend and then have them ship them to Hawaii....

bmlee007
May 17th, 2015, 03:50
Ship to a friend at frozenrotors.com and have them ship to Hawaii...

DHall1
May 17th, 2015, 04:05
And they say the RS6 is expensive to maintain.

Fronts done at 45k miles under warrantee
Fronts again at 96K miles myself, $820 for the parts from Audi.
Fronts and Rears at 138,000 miles. $1000 for all four, partsgeek.com

Brakes done at 73 k and 116 k miles. The dealer must have done them some time around 35k ,but I did not see a record of that, I'll have to check again.

That is not bad life on the brakes and rotors.

:)

Mike

Bigglezworth
May 17th, 2015, 15:14
And they say the RS6 is expensive to maintain.This car is expensive - for an Audi Stealership to maintain..... That can be said about a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Rover, etc. steapership too. Still not clear in where a blue collar job like mechanics became deemed worth of rates that match that of a lawyer or dentist? sSolo work and patience looking for reasonable prices on parts resellers nets you affordable maintenance for sure.

lswing
May 17th, 2015, 16:02
This car is expensive - for an Audi Stealership to maintain..... That can be said about a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Rover, etc. steapership too. Still not clear in where a blue collar job like mechanics became deemed worth of rates that match that of a lawyer or dentist? sSolo work and patience looking for reasonable prices on parts resellers nets you affordable maintenance for sure.

It's the shop and dealer overhead, manager salaries, car companies cut. Most of the mechanics seem to bring home $15-30 per hour depending on location and experience. I will avoid a stealership at all costs for these reasons.

Turbowned
May 17th, 2015, 17:30
Better to pay an independent mechanic $50/hr to do it; you pay less and he gets paid more.

G2
May 17th, 2015, 23:13
Were all rotors directionally correct, Left, Right each side?

Any rotors have Audi engravings/emblems? (appears not)

Aronis
May 18th, 2015, 00:24
They are right and left, the match the old ones completely accept for the Audi logo. The fins are directional.

And a good independent mechanic is worth the cost. The rates for auto work have been going up for years, the overhead for equipment is substantial. Just buy a few of the special tools and you will see. My indy has many tools, has everything he needs to rebuild 911 turbo engines, etc. So I am sure there was a substantial start up cost in equipment. I don't begrudge a guy making a decent living especially when they do great work.

Mike

bmlee007
May 18th, 2015, 15:11
It's the shop and dealer overhead, manager salaries, car companies cut. Most of the mechanics seem to bring home $15-30 per hour depending on location and experience. I will avoid a stealership at all costs for these reasons.

I work for a German company that charges $14,500/week plus travel expenses for my services. More than 80% of that DOES NOT go into my bank account.

Other_Erik
May 18th, 2015, 15:46
I work for a German company that charges $14,500/week plus travel expenses for my services. More than 80% of that DOES NOT go into my bank account.

Sounds like you're getting hosed. Let me guess, Siemens?

Standard contract rate around here is a 65/35 cut for vendor/contractor dispersement. At that rate, you'd be making ~$5k/wk plus travel expenses...

O_E

lswing
May 18th, 2015, 16:30
I was getting great independent work done at two small Eugene shops, owners did all the work, $75 per hour seemed very reasonable due to their overhead and operating costs. I had to pay $100 per hour down in Austin which adds up after 20 hours, but they were a mid-sized shop, with owners taking a bit more off the top I would say. Always glad to see money going into the hands of those doing the hard and skilled work.

Amulet-S6
May 22nd, 2015, 15:52
This car is expensive - for an Audi Stealership to maintain..... That can be said about a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Rover, etc. steapership too. Still not clear in where a blue collar job like mechanics became deemed worth of rates that match that of a lawyer or dentist? sSolo work and patience looking for reasonable prices on parts resellers nets you affordable maintenance for sure.

I don't "like" dealership shop rates, but understand their overhead structure. What ruffles my feathers is that I'm charged a predetermined number of hours for any given work regardless of the actual time it takes. And their project doesn't drool or move while they work.... Jim, a dentist :)

PS: I use an independent audi master mechanic the dealership let go to cut their overhead.

Other_Erik
May 22nd, 2015, 16:35
I was getting great independent work done at two small Eugene shops, owners did all the work, $75 per hour seemed very reasonable due to their overhead and operating costs. I had to pay $100 per hour down in Austin which adds up after 20 hours, but they were a mid-sized shop, with owners taking a bit more off the top I would say. Always glad to see money going into the hands of those doing the hard and skilled work.

Agreed, wish I could find a good indy here in the DC area. AoA set price for this region is $140/hr at the stealership, most indy's charge ~$110-120 to cover overhead thanks to real estate being so costly. Was nice to find one that "Only" charges $95/hr, but they do by-the-book hours, so it ended up way cheaper to get VC gaskets done at the other indy who bills $120/hr but follows the "don't remove the engine unless absolutely necessary" route to wrench on Skuld. Makes me wish I had a garage I could fit her into, much less work on her at the same time.

O_E

Dmb408
May 22nd, 2015, 18:08
Charged the book time when I know it takes less is what pisses me off too. When I bitch about it though they are good about applying coupons.

I don't "like" dealership shop rates, but understand their overhead structure. What ruffles my feathers is that I'm charged a predetermined number of hours for any given work regardless of the actual time it takes. And their project doesn't drool or move while they work.... Jim, a dentist :)

PS: I use an independent audi master mechanic the dealership let go to cut their overhead.

CornersWell
May 25th, 2015, 00:35
Agreed, wish I could find a good indy here in the DC area.

Have you tried my recommendation and weren't happy?

CW

Other_Erik
May 26th, 2015, 12:04
Have you tried my recommendation and weren't happy?

CW

You mean NGP in Lorton? I could give them a shot if I'm ever in that neck of the woods, but getting from the western 'burbs to Lorton during business hours means taking a day off of work and trying to hit that slim margin between rush hour and lunch traffic (10-11am)

O_E

CornersWell
May 26th, 2015, 16:00
You mean NGP in Lorton? I could give them a shot if I'm ever in that neck of the woods, but getting from the western 'burbs to Lorton during business hours means taking a day off of work and trying to hit that slim margin between rush hour and lunch traffic (10-11am)

O_E

Noted. So, you're looking more towards the Reston/Sterling and beyond areas?

Funktion is no more (Mercure Circle in Sterling), but you could call Wisko and see whether they'd take care of you. They're not an Audi shop, but that's who maintains our race cars. If they can't/won't they might give you an idea or two. If you need a contact there, let me know.

CW

Other_Erik
May 26th, 2015, 16:57
Noted. So, you're looking more towards the Reston/Sterling and beyond areas?

Funktion is no more (Mercure Circle in Sterling), but you could call Wisko and see whether they'd take care of you. They're not an Audi shop, but that's who maintains our race cars. If they can't/won't they might give you an idea or two. If you need a contact there, let me know.

CW

You called it, that's where I live and work. Will check out Wisko, see if they can do what needs done.

For the time being, I've been splitting jobs between Wiygul (who will do the work and charge their actual hours), and AutoScandia (who has an Audi Master Tech on staff, but charges book hours). So far no major complaints, but I get the feeling I'm going to need some big works done here soon and if Wisko can get the job done right for less than others, I'll be heading their way.

O_E