PDA

View Full Version : Unicorn for sale apparently stateside

415RS6
May 8th, 2015, 06:22
Just saw this popup for sale in California on craigslist

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5014338300.html

lswing
May 8th, 2015, 11:24
Surprised he's selling, does have some nice updates besides the conversion. Priced a bit high still...has wife made me sold it pricing. Maybe $38k?

DHall1
May 8th, 2015, 13:17
That is the member from Tahoe.

S6 conversion

SteveKen
May 8th, 2015, 13:42
Not a unicorn. My car would be the Yin to that Yang.

GLWS and you will probalby be seeing mine on the block soon, too.

I still hold firm to the notion that the 6MT car (now that the tunes are well sorted and with the properly selected clutch) is a much better car than the automatic. It's much less of a risk from an investment perspective.

hahnmgh63
May 8th, 2015, 14:58
Gotta like the white :)

DHall1
May 8th, 2015, 15:12
5k for a transmission one time....worst case.

I gotta stay auto.

Dmb408
May 8th, 2015, 15:43
LOVE the car. But you'll still be doing valve cover gaskets, and chasing bad sensors, etc. Although, again, I love it and if was closer to 30k, I'd be dumping mine and wiring him money.

SteveKen
May 8th, 2015, 16:08
5k for a transmission one time....worst case.

I gotta stay auto.

I trust a used manual more than a used automatic. I consider a used transmission anything that's installed. I'm not from Missouri but still, unless I'm the one having it rebuilt and installed then I'm buying the car at a $5k discount with this in mind.

bethridg
May 9th, 2015, 01:53
I'm not from Missouri

Not sure what you mean by that :) ....but when my auto started to show signs of slippage I made the decision to purchase a fully overhauled tdi unit from Scott@Advanced Automotion. I just put the motor back in my Tbird to make room in my garage for the 01E swap and I fell back in love with throwing the clutch and grabbing gears of that T5. Long-term it made more sense for me to put money into a manual transmission that, when matched with a proper clutch/etc, would be stronger than the auto. Don't get me wrong. I loved the convenience of the 5Tip. Commuting in traffic with the auto is easier. But I work from home and it's not my only driver. With my driving style (love the boost) I would always have that hanging over my head. And most people here know the history of my car so it shouldn't de-value it any more beyond the existing salvage title. Plus I have this habit of not selling vehicles. Hell, I still have my 02 Buell X1W (worst decision ever) sitting in my basement and it hasn't been ridden since 2005.

As for this example for sale....it's exactly what I want, manual trans forced induction v8 avant, but for less of a premium. $30K would be closer. Could someone explain to me how it could be a 2003 vs a 2002 S6 conversion??? Maybe I'm missing something.

lswing
May 9th, 2015, 02:21
8-10k for a transmission each year....worst case.

I gotta stay auto.

Fixed it!

DHall1
May 9th, 2015, 03:30
Omg. ^^

U R paying too much at 8 to 10.

I could do Tozo for 3500 if I had to. Lol

And...I have owned 4 RS6s over the last 8yrs or so....3 sitting out in the garage now. I have yet to pay for a transmission. Doh

mrdave
May 9th, 2015, 03:37
Could someone explain to me how it could be a 2003 vs a 2002 S6 conversion??? Maybe I'm missing something.

What are you missing about the model year?

bethridg
May 9th, 2015, 03:44
We all know that the RS6 was only offered in NA in 2003 (2004 for CAN) and never as an Avant. So this is either a conversion or one of the few true EU imports. Was the S6 Avant offered in 2003 also? I thought it was a 2002 only.

fukinavit
May 9th, 2015, 04:07
totally not worth 45k, its an s6 converted, Not an RS6. probably cost 20k ish to build that's it. S6's are everywhere, easy to throw on a body kit, engine and trans swap.
Also not a fan of the 6 speed, 01e is totally geared wrong for our cars, I hate it in my 2.7t.

lswing
May 9th, 2015, 04:13
3 sitting out in the garage now. I have yet to pay for a transmission.

Exactly!

Let me drive one for 8 months and it will need a new trans:)

Turbowned
May 9th, 2015, 16:03
That's a sweet car! Not $45k sweet, but still pretty sweet.

mrdave
May 10th, 2015, 01:43
We all know that the RS6 was only offered in NA in 2003 (2004 for CAN) and never as an Avant. So this is either a conversion or one of the few true EU imports. Was the S6 Avant offered in 2003 also? I thought it was a 2002 only.

Yes, it's definitely an S6 conversion: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/527044-Project-Snow-White-S6-Thread

And yes, the S6 Avant was available in MY 2002 and 2003 in the US. However, the 2003 sale numbers were much smaller.

ben916
May 11th, 2015, 16:45
And...I have owned 4 RS6s over the last 8yrs or so....3 sitting out in the garage now.

EXACTLY.... just sitting, not driving or sliding or boosting.... just sitting...

Wanna short some GIAC stock?

JayB
May 11th, 2015, 17:05
am I the only one wondering why he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet?

Bigglezworth
May 11th, 2015, 17:20
18 months and I can have an OEM spec 2002 Avant here locally for 1/3 that price.....

DHall1
May 11th, 2015, 17:54
Omg

How about......I have put 80000 miles behind the wheel of tuned and boosted RS6s and have yet to pay for a transmission.

EXACTLY.... just sitting, not driving or sliding or boosting.... just sitting...

Wanna short some GIAC stock?

SteveKen
May 11th, 2015, 18:27
18 months and I can have an OEM spec 2002 Avant here locally for 1/3 that price.....

138 months for the US. I'm guessing that ther's no need for changing the bumpers, headlights and all the other federalization items after 10/20 yrs CDN/US?

JayB
May 11th, 2015, 18:41
138 months for the US. I'm guessing that ther's no need for changing the bumpers, headlights and all the other federalization items after 10/20 yrs CDN/US?

Thought it was 25 years for US?

Bigglezworth
May 11th, 2015, 23:51
138 months for the US. I'm guessing that ther's no need for changing the bumpers, headlights and all the other federalization items after 10/20 yrs CDN/US?After the 15 year mark, there are no federal gov't requirements to interfere no and everything required as part of the RIV program (Registrars of Imported Vehicles) is gonzo. As long as the vehicle passes local provincial inspection it should be able to be licenced. I wonder if from a US perspective if you can import from Canada after a vehicle has been licenced here.... Maybe that's a work around?? I know that I can import an OEM spec Avant from Mexico currently as part of NAFTA, but the prices are stupid just like that of the one listed here. A plethora of used options exist in Europe and the UK ripe for the picking. I might even import more than one and look to sell the spare...

https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

Thought it was 25 years for US?Yes.... 18 months until 15 years are up and then another 120 months for the next 10 years to make up the 25. ;)

SteveKen
May 12th, 2015, 00:00
After the 15 year mark . .....

So what's the deal between the 10 and 15 year mark then?

Bigglezworth
May 12th, 2015, 00:21
So what's the deal between the 10 and 15 year mark then?
There is no deal. You can import any vehicle from the US as long as it is admissible for import. RIV publishes a list of all cars that are inadmissible. The 2003 RS6 was inadmissible for import in to Canada from the US up until June of 2009. ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old. In the mid 2000's a glut of Japanese cars like the Lexus, Skyline, Supra's, etc., all started hitting the streets here once that 15yr age passed. Unclear on what you are thinking with the 10yr mark?

DHall1
May 12th, 2015, 02:21
Im in for number 2.

Half the plates in AZ are already from Canada.

The other half are illegal.

Im the minority

After the 15 year mark, there are no federal gov't requirements to interfere no and everything required as part of the RIV program (Registrars of Imported Vehicles) is gonzo. As long as the vehicle passes local provincial inspection it should be able to be licenced. I wonder if from a US perspective if you can import from Canada after a vehicle has been licenced here.... Maybe that's a work around?? I know that I can import an OEM spec Avant from Mexico currently as part of NAFTA, but the prices are stupid just like that of the one listed here. A plethora of used options exist in Europe and the UK ripe for the picking. I might even import more than one and look to sell the spare...

https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

Yes.... 18 months until 15 years are up and then another 120 months for the next 10 years to make up the 25. ;)

SteveKen
May 12th, 2015, 02:30
There is no deal. You can import any vehicle from the US as long as it is admissible for import. RIV publishes a list of all cars that are inadmissible. The 2003 RS6 was inadmissible for import in to Canada from the US up until June of 2009. ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old. In the mid 2000's a glut of Japanese cars like the Lexus, Skyline, Supra's, etc., all started hitting the streets here once that 15yr age passed. Unclear on what you are thinking with the 10yr mark?

I had a senior moment and forgot about the earlier model years and didn't realize that we are already that old.

Bigglezworth
May 12th, 2015, 05:07
ALL vehicles irrespective of their make/model cannot be imported from off continent until the vehicle is at least 15yrs old.Oh, and the date is determined by the month and year of manufacture - NOT model year....

"13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971 - Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (<abbr>CBSA</abbr>) for clearance requirements."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section2_0.htm
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Explanations.htm

AND...
For those CDN drivers who want to have an RS6 that has been converted to a 6spd manual, ensure it complies with this before you import:

"14. MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND CLUTCH PEDAL (Vehicles manufactured after May 1, 2005 and newer only) - If a passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or three-wheeled vehicle has a <abbr>GVWR</abbr> of 4 536 kg or less and is equipped with a manual transmission, it must not be possible to start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed or the drive train is otherwise disengaged. If it is possible to start the engine without the clutch pedal being depressed or with the drive train engaged, the vehicle will fail the <abbr>RIV</abbr> inspection."

Haven't heard any of the half dozen or so owners that have a 6MT conversion advise whether or not the ECU conversion accounts for this or not. Bueller? Bueller?

SteveKen
May 12th, 2015, 17:29
"14. MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND CLUTCH PEDAL (Vehicles manufactured after May 1, 2005 and newer only) - If a passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or three-wheeled vehicle has a <abbr>GVWR</abbr> of 4 536 kg or less and is equipped with a manual transmission, it must not be possible to start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed or the drive train is otherwise disengaged. If it is possible to start the engine without the clutch pedal being depressed or with the drive train engaged, the vehicle will fail the <abbr>RIV</abbr> inspection."

Haven't heard any of the half dozen or so owners that have a 6MT conversion advise whether or not the ECU conversion accounts for this or not. Bueller? Bueller?

It's not ECU related, but wiring that has to be done. There is clutch pedal switch that engages the starter interlock relay when the pedal is depressed. I've done the proper wiring in all the conversions that I've done.

P1054
May 13th, 2015, 02:17
It's not ECU related, but wiring that has to be done. There is clutch pedal switch that engages the starter interlock relay when the pedal is depressed. I've done the proper wiring in all the conversions that I've done.

Same. I followed the wiring directions SteveKen sent me and from the first time I fired it up with the manual, I had to have the clutch pedal fully depressed.

bethridg
May 13th, 2015, 06:08

Same. I followed the wiring directions SteveKen sent me and from the first time I fired it up with the manual, I had to have the clutch pedal fully depressed.

Am I correct when I say this is an alternative (http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/69/products_id/299)to wiring it yourself? Cause I ordered one with the swap kit.

Korben007
May 13th, 2015, 06:44
What are the rules coming from Canada to US for importation?

lswing
May 13th, 2015, 13:58
What are the coming from Canada to US?

???

Why you selling the wagon?

lswing
May 13th, 2015, 14:02
Omg

How about......I have put 80000 miles behind the wheel of tuned and boosted RS6s and have yet to pay for a transmission.

As you know it's just the WOT shifts and 0-100 runs that break 'em; part of why I'm not concerned by high mileage cars. You could drive 80k miles and just be sitting in gear, no damage done. I'm picturing something like this...

http://www.catster.com/files/toonces.jpg

Bigglezworth
May 13th, 2015, 16:54
I only experienced tranny failure on the OEM tranny of the one ride here. The second ride that ran Marc's tune for over 5 years had been replaced 100K prior to the tune being installed and ran another full 45K with the tune. NEVER had an issue with the tranny....

ben916
May 13th, 2015, 17:10
As you know it's just the WOT shifts and 0-100 runs that break 'em; part of why I'm not concerned by high mileage cars. You could drive 80k miles and just be sitting in gear, no damage done. I'm picturing something like this...

http://www.catster.com/files/toonces.jpg

And you failed to show the 10 seconds AFTER....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hwerqogzQ

But this one is better -> LOL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQEcv22Mdk)

Keep the Wagon!

lswing
May 13th, 2015, 17:37
Thank you!...:rotflmao:

When he was a bit younger...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LmzbHUdNxfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BuffaloRS6
May 14th, 2015, 00:39
Steve I saw your car today. WOW is all I can say. I called Jason @ Black Forest Motorsport this morning to ask him something about my car and he mentioned that yours was in for a Fortunato detail. I HAD to see it. That thing is impressive as Hell! Mike had the trim taped off and was already working on it. It looked phenomenal just sitting there, but man that thing is gonna look incredible once Mike is finished. He does such great work, and from the look of the car- so do you. Well done man. The 6 speed, the carbon fiber trim, body work, just everything. Only thing I can think of that would really set that thing off would be like an R8 or TTRS steering wheel. Just my .02 cents. :incar:
Really well ell done though man. Are you definitely selling it?

Amulet-S6
May 14th, 2015, 04:17
Slight highjack of topic: Question for the old timers - Wasn't there a white rs6 sedan in the San Fransisco area?

Amulet-S6
May 14th, 2015, 04:24
The model guide on Audiworld.com shows the S6 avant was avail 2002 & 2003:
http://www.audiworld.com/model-guide-audi-s6/

I owned an s6 avant before my rs6; Amulet red - Gorgeous. The transmission was geared lower; Really needed a 6th cog. Ultimate sleeper. Tracked it quite a bit... amazed a lot of other drivers.

SteveKen
May 14th, 2015, 13:30
Steve I saw your car today. WOW is all I can say. I called Jason @ Black Forest Motorsport this morning to ask him something about my car and he mentioned that yours was in for a Fortunato detail. I HAD to see it. That thing is impressive as Hell! Mike had the trim taped off and was already working on it. It looked phenomenal just sitting there, but man that thing is gonna look incredible once Mike is finished. He does such great work, and from the look of the car- so do you. Well done man. The 6 speed, the carbon fiber trim, body work, just everything. Only thing I can think of that would really set that thing off would be like an R8 or TTRS steering wheel. Just my .02 cents. :incar:
Really well ell done though man. Are you definitely selling it?

I can't wait to see it as well. Mike said he would send some pictures, but hasn't yet. YGM, btw.

ben916
May 14th, 2015, 16:56
Slight highjack of topic: Question for the old timers - Wasn't there a white rs6 sedan in the San Fransisco area?

When I had the VIN list, there was only one Polar White RS6 documented.

A4V8swap
May 14th, 2015, 17:57
I know of two. The one in washington hes a member here and a guy I met in NYC.

ben916
May 14th, 2015, 19:22
I know of two. The one in washington hes a member here and a guy I met in NYC.

Yes Mark @ Ham63MGRH something something (sorry Mark!)