PDA

View Full Version : RS8- Any one know for sure any details?

Wang
January 30th, 2004, 08:10
As a current A8L owner, I am more of RS type of personality, but also want big luxury. As such, an RS8 is one of my dream cars, but I have only heard heresay about it. As diehard RS6 fans, you all may have the best or only info about future RS cars other than the heresay I hear from inexperienced dealers.

Any info is appreciated regarding future RS8, when, where, how powerful, how much $$$, etc.

Long Live Quattro!:cheers:

Bauer
January 30th, 2004, 16:41
Wang-

I have not heard anything official as of yet...the W12 A8 is on its way to the US and I would believe that Audi would not want to loose any potential sales for the W12 by releasing info on an S8 or RS8....I am in the same boat as you if it does become official that they are sending an RS8 to the US than our S8 will be traded in. Hopefully after the W12 A8L gets here we might be hearing something about the next R or RS version.:cheers:

BTW....how do you like the A8L?

Wang
January 31st, 2004, 01:12
It has exactly the level of luxury I was looking for, less some stuff that I could not afford, like security glass, solar sunroof and 4 way Climatronic. I want the W12 version or S or RS version because I want power like I had on my former 03 BMW M5, but with the size and luxury of the A8.

We'll see what happens, Maybe W12 fully loaded or S8 or RS8, looking forward.

:0:

Erik
January 31st, 2004, 12:14
The W12 is not slow.
To 100 km/h it should be about as fast as an M5, except you wouldn't feel it.
To 200 km/h I think the W12 needs about 17.4 seconds!!!
That's like, or faster, than the M5 or the fastest M3 (best recorded time is 16.9 I think).

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2708&highlight=W12

Now A8 W12
Then A8 S8 (bound to be released, since it stood for about 40% of the A8 sales)
Perhaps RS8 - but I don't think they'll release it.

TheBrit
January 31st, 2004, 13:46
The A8L W12 certainly doesn't look too bad on paper - not quite the 0-62 figures of the RS 6, but certainly close enough (about 5.3s I think) and as Erik says, it's 0-130mph should be as good or slightly better than the RS 6.

The RS 6 has good enough fuel economy in a 5th gear cruise, but from experience 6th gear in the A8 is very 'tall', so should provide good 90mph+ cruising with plenty of overtaking torque and low rpms for relative economy.

I've already said how impressed I am with the A8's air suspension, especially it's ability to dynamically adjust through corners to aid the handling, and I can't see how the extra 13cm will really make that much of a difference, so I'm hoping it will handle OK as well although I do still wish there was a short W12 option.

I have heard from an Audi source that although the UK specifications are not finalised yet, the expected list price will be around £75k. For that price, I'm hoping it comes pre-loaded with the kind of things I'd put into an A8 anyway - adaptive lighting, DVD Nav, Bose, phone, voice control etc. Hopefully my Audi source will let me know when there's any news, and I should be on the list for a test drive once Audi UK get one in the country.

Wang
January 31st, 2004, 21:15
nt