PDA

View Full Version : rs5 wave rotors on rs6... thoughts?

BigD2500HD
May 5th, 2015, 17:57
Got a deal on the rs5 wave design rotors. Was wondering what people thought of this "mod". Its supposed to be some weight savings...and we all know the rs6 needs it where it can get it. I figure less rotating mass would be good. Anyone fine this or think it's worth doing? Rotors are a great deal cheaper than me stock ones so there's also that.

Other_Erik
May 5th, 2015, 18:16
I traded some Zimm's for my RS5 scallops. They look great and perform very well! A little less weight than the stock rotors, yes, but the bigger advantage has to do with creating pockets of disrupted airflow - better heat dissipation across the rotor overall, I'm not claiming huge difference but just as with weight, anything that disperses heat even that little bit better, is a step in the right direction.

If you got yours new/unused, get them cryo treated for effectively double the wear life.

O_E

BigD2500HD
May 5th, 2015, 18:37
The ones I'm looking at have approximately 5 miles on them from what I'm told.

TMAC
May 5th, 2015, 18:41
Thanks for the tip here! I may try this when I need brakes.

Other_Erik
May 5th, 2015, 19:19
The ones I'm looking at have approximately 5 miles on them from what I'm told.

If it's time for rotor change, I'd say go for it. Get them cryo-treated and enjoy good quality rotors for 40-70k miles depending on your driving style :)

O_E

Turbowned
May 5th, 2015, 20:59
This is very good to know. The shape of them does nothing for me but if they can be had cheaper and are supposedly lighter and more efficient, then so much the better!

Bigglezworth
May 5th, 2015, 22:14
Totally useless and entirely a marketing ploy unless you are racing around the autocross or doing high speed driving (in excess of 200km/h) on an Autobahn or the like and braking hard for more than 4-5 secs constantly. Unless you're getting them for the same price or less than what the car came with stock, it's a waste your money that is better off being wasted elsewhere. There's a reason DP's and other high end racing cars don't run these. The scalloping saves weight, but it also lowers surface area of the rotor. Drilled rotors are lighter than slotted (generally) but racers all know that slotted is better for the track as drilled rotors crack. To quote Car and Driver: "The clever Quattro Volk carve out portions of each rotor’s periphery and call them 'wave rotors,' claiming that they cumulatively reduce unsprung and rotating mass by nine pounds." On a 4300lb+ car shaving 9 lbs can be better accomplished with a good dump..... A lot cheaper too.

Bigglezworth
May 6th, 2015, 01:30
Personally, $700 for a set isn't a 'good deal' IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS5-R8-Gallardo-Front-Rotors-8T0615301-Only-/271856683517?hash=item3f4bebc9fd&vxp=mtr

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 01:47
I'll be getting them for 300........soooo.... Doin it.

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 01:52
I'll report back any benefits and or deficiencies.

makaveli42
May 6th, 2015, 02:29
I'll be getting them for 300........soooo.... Doin it.

Ill give you $400 for them..and you just made a quick $100. Boom. You're welcome!

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 02:53
Hahaaa..... Tempting. But I think I'll be happy with them the recommendation came from an Audi master tech. He has a set on his rs6 and raved about them.

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 03:03
And I do believe that 9 pounds in rotating mass is pretty different than just 9 pounds in weight savings

Other_Erik
May 6th, 2015, 12:38
And I do believe that 9 pounds in rotating mass is pretty different than just 9 pounds in weight savings

Seconded

O_E

Bigglezworth
May 6th, 2015, 14:24
And I do believe that 9 pounds in rotating mass is pretty different than just 9 pounds in weight savings...only matters if you're racing. This is a 4300lb car that you're driving on street roads in traffic and highways when you get a chance to stretch the legs. Again, better value in a good dump...

That said, if you get a set for half the price of a set of Zimmermans, then wallet logic simply prevails irrespective of the debate on what they are marketed as.

ben916
May 6th, 2015, 17:59

Not sure I would skimp on rotors...

A better 36lb savings might be lighter rims or less skinny pedal.

Bigglezworth
May 6th, 2015, 18:04
Not sure I would skimp on rotors...

A better 36lb savings might be lighter rims or less skinny pedal.9lbs total. Not 9lbs per wheel.... :)

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 18:15
It doesn't appear to be a skimped design to me... Maybe the lure of marketing fluff is Bologna, but the rotors themselves also have 12 years technological advances in design and testing.

BigD2500HD
May 6th, 2015, 18:16
9 pounds total is still 9 pounds of rotating mass. ��

4everRS
May 6th, 2015, 23:58
For the price your getting, those rotors are well worth it. With that said, I think the wave thing is a fad.

Bigglezworth
May 7th, 2015, 00:32
For the price your getting, those rotors are well worth it. With that said, I think the wave thing is a fad.Shhhhh... Don't tell those Pagani, Ferrari, Maseratti, or Lamgorghini guys about these. It would make their cars all that much better.

s8prtotype
May 7th, 2015, 06:29
They're a conversation starter, that's for sure. ;)

ben916
May 7th, 2015, 16:32
For the price your getting, those rotors are well worth it. With that said, I think the wave thing is a fad.

Can the wave rotors be bedazzled???
More Bling for my Thing!

s8prtotype
May 7th, 2015, 17:00
With my wheels I've lost an estimated 33lbs up front, then add in removal of secondary radiators/water and all the SAI junk...so what, roughly 40-50 lbs off the front? :)

Bigglezworth
May 7th, 2015, 17:09
With my wheels I've lost an estimated 33lbs up front, then add in removal of secondary radiators/water and all the SAI junk...so what, roughly 40-50 lbs off the front? :)Lose the spare tire, lose the tools, and swap out for a light weight battery in teh trunk and you save that amount on the rear also. Then remove your comfy multi adjustable seats and you save 100 more. Finally swap out the 5Tip for an 6MT and save another 50-75. Then you're getting closer to weighing only 4000lbs. 300lbs on these cars would be worth a nominal 3/10th's in the quarter and maybe half that in the 0-60.

hahnmgh63
May 8th, 2015, 02:34
Bigglez, I'm almost there. Forged BBS, Wave rotors, Onstar removal, Oddysey 925t battery (26#), no spare, don't forget that KWV3's weight a lot less than the Steel DRC plus the piping and central valves. 6sp this summer. Anyone know if the Euro Recaro's weight appreciably more or less? I've got a set now in the garage and I think they may be less??? Hey, almost forgot, I have the RS6+ Blue weave Carbon fiber trim, must save like 200lbs!!!

Other_Erik
May 8th, 2015, 12:10
Bigglez, I'm almost there. Forged BBS, Wave rotors, Onstar removal, Oddysey 925t battery (26#), no spare, don't forget that KWV3's weight a lot less than the Steel DRC plus the piping and central valves. 6sp this summer. Anyone know if the Euro Recaro's weight appreciably more or less? I've got a set now in the garage and I think they may be less??? Hey, almost forgot, I have the RS6+ Blue weave Carbon fiber trim, must save like 200lbs!!!

Next step: Fill the tires and passenger compartment with helium, you'll be airborne in no time! XD XD XD

s8prtotype
May 8th, 2015, 19:36

Oh yea, i'm on coilovers too.. so even more weight lost.

Anything to help that poor tranny lol.

makaveli42
May 21st, 2015, 00:53
Did you install these yet? I was looking at some but was told the hub size is bigger on the RS5 wave rotors than our RS6 rotors? Soooo since we have floating rotors how does that work? Just curious , I don't wanna buy them if there's some finagling to be done to fit them. (Only interested in them because I was offered a price a tad cheaper than oem rotors and I'm in need of some)

s8prtotype
May 21st, 2015, 00:55
Yes I've been running them for awhile, they're a direct bolt on.

Other_Erik
May 21st, 2015, 03:20
Yes I've been running them for awhile, they're a direct bolt on.

Seconded, direct bolt on, no finagling necessary.

4everRS
May 21st, 2015, 03:30
Hub size wouldn't matter. There's another flange the rotors set on

s8prtotype
May 21st, 2015, 04:18
Not sure why you're even talking to people with bad info when i posted the thread on the swap ;)

This is how i'm currently rolling... don't mind the brake dust... EBC Yellows, before i sealed the wheels during the full paint correction...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/bakerized/RS6/B810381E-088E-4D04-AD17-A07F2D489399_zpsgevjcujl.jpg

Other_Erik
May 21st, 2015, 12:07
Anyone else get just a hint of surface rust at the very outside edge of the scallop? I've noticed that on my rotors, pretty sure it's just the pad not making contact until it wears down to about 1/2 depth - the shape of the Hawk HPC pads is a bit odd in that it tapers to the outside so you're not really getting the full force of the pad until it's worn down a bit.

S8 - That's pretty hot, have always loved Mugello... If Skuld ever gives up the ghost on me, I know what color my next RS6 will have to be (unless the one and only Dark Cherry Pearl pops up)

O_E

s8prtotype
May 21st, 2015, 15:10
Thanks man! Yea i waited it out on the right blue one :)

I don't think i get any rust with the yellows, haven't noticed anything like that.

makaveli42
May 22nd, 2015, 03:11
Not sure why you're even talking to people with bad info when i posted the thread on the swap ;)

only asked because the guys I'm thinking of purchasing from said the hub size is different and something about using a set screw to hold it in place. The rims I bought needed spacers and I had to bring down the calipers a bit so they wouldn't run the inside of the wheel, was worried if the rotors are a perfect fit like OEM then the calipers wouldn't fit the same and my wheels either wouldn't fit anymore or I'd have to bring down the calipers even more!

RS8
May 22nd, 2015, 09:31
What is the OEM part number on RS5 discs?

Other_Erik
May 22nd, 2015, 14:01
What is the OEM part number on RS5 discs?

8T0615301 Individual Scalloped
Not sure if they have any updated spec yet, but that's the Number from fresh pull. Non-directional, same part number both sides.

420615301D Individual non-scalloped
If you don't want the scalloped shape, but you're looking for an OE rotor around half the price of OE RS6 fitment, this is what you want.

O_E

Amulet-S6
May 22nd, 2015, 15:44
What are you referring to with "sealed the wheels" notation? I like those Volk wheels. Jim

This is how i'm currently rolling... don't mind the brake dust... EBC Yellows, before i sealed the wheels during the full paint correction...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/bakerized/RS6/B810381E-088E-4D04-AD17-A07F2D489399_zpsgevjcujl.jpg

Other_Erik
May 22nd, 2015, 16:04
What are you referring to with "sealed the wheels" notation? I like those Volk wheels. Jim

Pretty sure he means a lacquer finish on top of the paint to seal in the freshness once paint correction was finished.

O_E

s8prtotype
May 22nd, 2015, 16:57
This is what I did to my car, i'll probably make a post about it later :) Picture it as a blue RS6 lol. My car was protected with Gyeon Mohs Q2 Sealant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNcXWajJzEE&feature=youtu.be&t=41s

I'm a full week in hours wise on bringing it back to life and I didn't go as far as I could take it this first round, and I still have clear bra crap to battle and re-install.

I love making her look new again.

On stock wheels or glossy wheels you can just use poorboys wheel sealant and you'll be happy. It's better than a wheel wax and last longer.

LaserSVT
December 27th, 2015, 21:11
Are these a direct bolt on for the rear as well?

BigD2500HD
February 21st, 2016, 18:08

forgot to upload these a while back!!!! i love them on my beast.

Other_Erik
February 22nd, 2016, 11:04
Are these a direct bolt on for the rear as well?

Negative, rears are a different size. I ended up going with the JHM 2-piece rears for stock-ish look.

O_E

hahnmgh63
February 28th, 2016, 15:22
Looks like another Spammer found the site.