PDA

View Full Version : Location for mounting water meth nozzles.

Fastguy
April 12th, 2015, 03:11
I've researched and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Seems consensus is to mount either in the tops of the intercoolers or in bi pipe. So I've decided bi pipe. Does this look like a good position or am I down too far from the throttle body? 16271

lswing
April 12th, 2015, 04:07
Y pipe for sure. Can't tell from the crappy pic:) We mounted mine about 8-10 inches from TB on each side...plenty of space to disperse, but not so far away to get heated.

RSoverAll
April 12th, 2015, 04:18
I would think the intercoolers would be one of the worst places...

lswing
April 12th, 2015, 04:21
Yes, the IC idea seems bad. I've only read post IC. After the air is cooled, then add the wm mix. There's no way it could disperse in the IC anyhow. Close to TB as possible with space to disperse...

Fastguy
April 12th, 2015, 05:26
Ok, so between that diverter connection and the tb sounds like where it should be. Initially thought below that diverter port because of space.

Bigglezworth
April 12th, 2015, 15:20
I have a turbo Buick and the turbo Buick guys have for years been adding the "7th injector" in between the vacuum block and the throttle body on the 3.8 and 4.1 engines. Being as the Audi doesn't have an existing area on the throttle body itself, then introducing the charge immediately in front of the TB in the Y-Pipe is the only remaining reasonable solution. The location between where the diverter value hoses connect and the TB is the most reasonable location yes.

Fastguy
April 12th, 2015, 19:38
I have a turbo Buick and the turbo Buick guys have for years been adding the "7th injector" in between the vacuum block and the throttle body on the 3.8 and 4.1 engines. Being as the Audi doesn't have an existing area on the throttle body itself, then introducing the charge immediately in front of the TB in the Y-Pipe is the only remaining reasonable solution. The location between where the diverter value hoses connect and the TB is the most reasonable location yes.

Well, I guess this is where they are going now. Too late to go back.

lswing
April 12th, 2015, 21:41
Hey, nicer pic! Just where mine are. Mounted controller in fuse box, just pop it out to make changes. Looks like you went DevilSown. Mine has been solid for years. Does wonders for summer heat soak and maintains power.

ttboost
April 13th, 2015, 01:37
Pretty much exactly where I put mine...16279

makaveli42
May 1st, 2015, 00:15
Ok please help lol. I have my bumper and headlights out to replace my leaky ICs, the shop installed my meth nozzles in the top of the ICs. Where exactly is the throttle body? I can't tell by the pics. I was going to install them about 6 inches from the MAFs in the intake pipe (apikol intake). Also. They threaded the hole on the ICs and used the red screw sealant. How do you do that in the throttle body or intake? Thanks!

Fastguy
May 1st, 2015, 00:25
My car is apart still so I can't provide a pic other than the one above. Just take a look a the bi pipe. Should be plain as day in the service position. I went to the local hardware store and purchased a tap same thread as my nozzle thread. Drilled, tapped, and used a little Teflon pipe dope, screwed right in. As long as it doesn't leak I'm good to go.

lswing
May 1st, 2015, 03:11
Ok please help lol. I have my bumper and headlights out to replace my leaky ICs, the shop installed my meth nozzles in the top of the ICs. Where exactly is the throttle body? I can't tell by the pics. I was going to install them about 6 inches from the MAFs in the intake pipe (apikol intake). Also. They threaded the hole on the ICs and used the red screw sealant. How do you do that in the throttle body or intake? Thanks!

No:) Your mechanic does odd stuff man. Each side of the y-pipe coming from ICs, 6-10 inches from TB. Need to remove y-pipe to clear drilling debris. Plug up your ICs, not ideal.

PCMacDr
May 1st, 2015, 03:20
Man, we need a DIY and baby steps

I want this on my BEAST !!

lswing
May 1st, 2015, 03:22
Man, we need a DIY and baby steps

I want this on my BEAST !!

I've got an outline on my website, but will get to a detailed write up, excellent system for our hot cars.

PCMacDr
May 1st, 2015, 03:35
That would be GREAT, Lswing

Yeah, I read your outline, which is good, but a detailed version would be appreciated and needed in a much needed car

Can't wait

makaveli42
May 1st, 2015, 03:57
Holy crap. Now I know what and where you're taking about. How the heck do you take that off? Lol. I'm not mechanic but was able to read the DIY on the ICs and bumper removal. Not sure if I can handle taking that piece off!

Fastguy
May 1st, 2015, 12:46
Holy crap. Now I know what and where you're taking about. How the heck do you take that off? Lol. I'm not mechanic but was able to read the DIY on the ICs and bumper removal. Not sure if I can handle taking that piece off!

I don't know if I would attempt that on the car. Also, I don't know how hard it would be to pull the y pipe while in the service position because I did mine with the engine on the stand. If you can get it off without removing the front, it's pretty simple. Disconnect the hoses and remove two bolts that fasten it to the throttle body. If you'd like, I can get some more pictures this weekend.

lswing
May 1st, 2015, 13:16
I don't know if I would attempt that on the car. Also, I don't know how hard it would be to pull the y pipe while in the service position because I did mine with the engine on the stand. If you can get it off without removing the front, it's pretty simple. Disconnect the hoses and remove two bolts that fasten it to the throttle body. If you'd like, I can get some more pictures this weekend.

Agreed. Mine was done when we had the engine out. I'm sure you can find a reason to take the engine out mak...

Bigglezworth
May 1st, 2015, 13:51
Also, I don't know how hard it would be to pull the y pipe while in the service position because I did mine with the engine on the stand.Straight forward whether on the stand or in the car. Front clip does need to be tilted forward in service position of course as it's the only way to get to the fasteners that are tucked inside the housing at the thottle body location (two 100mm long 5mm Allen head), and the two that fasten each end of the pipe down near where the intercooler hoses connect to the engine block (two 20mm long 5mm Allen head). The ones on the end are tucked in under the pipe and you pretty much have to remove them by 'feel' with the engine in chassis, but still straight forward.

Do NOT do any drilling modification to the pipe without removing it from the car. All debris should be properly removed prior to engine start-up.

lswing
May 1st, 2015, 15:37
^^^What he said...

I have upgraded the page a bit, no diagrams, but spelled out a few more steps. My mechanic is very good at wiring, so the job was super clean, and around $500 labor/custom box (engine was already out). http://audirssix.com/index.php/owning/water-methanol

PCMacDr
May 1st, 2015, 19:25
Thx lswing

Great info

makaveli42
May 1st, 2015, 22:20
Well crap, Lol sooooo the idea of putting the nozzles on each of the intake tubes about 6 inches from the MAF is a dumb idea then??

Bigglezworth
May 2nd, 2015, 02:44
Well crap, Lol sooooo the idea of putting the nozzles on each of the intake tubes about 6 inches from the MAF is a dumb idea then??Yes.... :(

Fastguy
May 2nd, 2015, 04:59
^^^What he said...

I have upgraded the page a bit, no diagrams, but spelled out a few more steps. My mechanic is very good at wiring, so the job was super clean, and around $500 labor/custom box (engine was already out). http://audirssix.com/index.php/owning/water-methanol

hey! That pic looks familiar! Im famous

lswing
May 2nd, 2015, 18:19
hey! That pic looks familiar! Im famous

Whew, I was worried you were going to threaten a lawsuit for theft of intellectual property:)

Thanks for the pic. And please send any info that needs correcting...