PDA

View Full Version : power steering whining.. ?

peiserg
April 7th, 2015, 23:43
Is there a special technique to flush the system? I just got the car back after a massive maintenance job, and i'm sure the PS pump was removed as part of it, and the fluids replaced. My tech pulled the pump again, and diagnosed a small air leak in the intake hose. He replaced it and vacuum tested the new hose, but the whining remains. The car did not make any PS noise before my engine out maintenance. Had the tranny rebuilt, TC replaced, turbos rebuilt, sensors replaced, vacuum lines, hoses, timing belt, water pump, starter rebuilt etc.

BradP
April 7th, 2015, 23:59
Mine sounded like a Ford pump for a couple days after doing the turkey baster method:doh: It's mo better now...all on it's own.

lswing
April 8th, 2015, 00:38
Mine only whined when out of fluid. Sounds like it's being starved, maybe a pinched line or clogged filter. They have some work to do...

Bigglezworth
April 8th, 2015, 02:04
Ensure the two hoses that lead to the PS cooler are clamped tight. Any small amount of air that enters here will cause continuous 'groaning' irrespective of the fluid being full. You should see no bubbles in the resevoir. If it's foamy, you are injesting air somewhere and need to address that in order for the noise to subside.

bmlee007
April 8th, 2015, 02:31
I filled mine to about 1/4" above MAX and the groaning went away, but I need to change the hoses and clamps as well to seal the system up again.

fukinavit
April 8th, 2015, 07:05
i had this after my recent engine refresher. what cured mine was to shut off the engine, turn the wheels lock to lock 15-20 times (wheels off the ground). I had lots of air in the rack, after this the fluid level dropped, I topped it up, started the beast and instant quiet sexy v8 turbo goodness resumed.