PDA

View Full Version : Cowl Intake

BradP
April 7th, 2015, 22:02
Too simple? Yes, I cut a big hole in my firewall. I had to put a piece of automotive carpet in the cowl area to keep it from sounding like a 22 psi honda. I must also add, this is version 2. The first went in the trash:)

I'm not really planning much in the way of performance gains. I figure lose a few pounds (about 8), possibly cooler temps in general, a place for my intercooler sprayer (adding back 3.5 pounds), and practice with carbon.

1000s of words and such:

lswing
April 8th, 2015, 00:44
Trying to decrease performance? I don't understand, interesting and all, but the stock airbox is good for 700hp at least.

BradP
April 8th, 2015, 04:23
I suppose I wasn't clear. Performance= weight, heat, room, and whatever may be next...NOT POWER.

lswing
April 8th, 2015, 04:56
I suppose I wasn't clear. Performance= weight, heat, room, and whatever may be next...NOT POWER.

Wait, so you want to remove minimal weight while compromising power with this hot air intake system? Sorry, just seems like the last thing to touch...I assume you've logged data, how are AITs?

lswing
April 8th, 2015, 04:58
It just looks so bastardized compared to a great system, but that's just opinion, carry on...but that poor car...

4everRS
April 8th, 2015, 05:10
That was a bad choice.

You could have cut your hair, take a crap and vacuum the formats, and would have lost as much weight.

Maybe this is a late April fools joke

ben916
April 8th, 2015, 19:23
Too simple? Yes, I cut a big hole in my firewall. I had to put a piece of automotive carpet in the cowl area to keep it from sounding like a 22 psi honda. I must also add, this is version 2. The first went in the trash:)

I'm not really planning much in the way of performance gains. I figure lose a few pounds (about 8), possibly cooler temps in general, a place for my intercooler sprayer (adding back 3.5 pounds), and practice with carbon.

1000s of words and such:

got a vin?
Details on your 6?

Dmb408
April 8th, 2015, 20:15
I mean, if it is sealed off well and gets enough through that cowl opening he should be getting colder air because it isn't passing across as much as the hot engine area/has shorter to travel before throttle body.

Dmb408
April 8th, 2015, 20:19
I see you still have some of the receiving bracketry for the old intake on...you could remove/cut some of those pieces and save more grams :)

lswing
April 8th, 2015, 21:14
I was considering adding an IC sprayer at some point, but the W/M was performing very well. Did a trunk mount 2.5 gallon, removed original battery, added a 10lb Odyssey. Probably saved 50lbs there. Well I hope a hood scoop isn't going on, and maybe you'll build some nice carbon to replace all the nice stuff that was removed. You log data yet to see how the new air filter responds?

http://audirssix.com/images/rs6-tank-photo2.jpg?lbisphpreq=1

BradP
April 8th, 2015, 23:41
I mean, if it is sealed off well and gets enough through that cowl opening he should be getting colder air because it isn't passing across as much as the hot engine area/has shorter to travel before throttle body.

Thank you for thinking about more than my restroom fantasies...I do need a hair cut come to think of it.

ben916
April 9th, 2015, 00:11
Thank you for thinking about more than my restroom fantasies...I do need a hair cut come to think of it.

This is the most bizarre retort I think I have read in all of my lurking on RS6.com...

lswing
April 9th, 2015, 00:29

This is glorious...and disturbing. So does it work decent or drive crappy now?

BradP
April 9th, 2015, 00:40
Butt dyno says up 50 HP...not. Drives fine. Track day on Sunday woo hoo! We'll really see how she behaves.

RS8
April 9th, 2015, 08:21
It's actually not a bad idea as many others here think.
You get a cooler inlet since nothing is on top.

But the question is if you get in enough air through the hole in the firewall?

Dmb408
April 9th, 2015, 14:22
Brad, I totally forgot, this topic is kind of sad for me now that I think about it. Because my first RS6 was lost to me because it hydrolocked in 100 year floods last year. If I would have had your intake the splashes of water would have never killed it.

BradP
April 9th, 2015, 17:05
Funny, (well not really) the intakes I've done on my Jeeps have mainly been to keep me more comfortable in water.

Inlet: I ballparked surface area of both the filters and the stock intake ports at the front of the air box. Both are 20-30% over the stock configuration. The gap between the filters and the outside of the box (front and sides) is a bit tighter than I'd like, but I couldn't make the box fit. Thus, version 1 in the trash.