PDA

View Full Version : WTB non-RS6 [Almost a RANT]

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 16:53
I know it's a long shot, but let's see if I can get a commuter car for the wifey here...

Pretty specific, looking for the following:
2004-05 Allroad
2002-03 S6
2003-07 A6

Only looking for the following engines: 2.7T, 3.2, 4.2
Must be automatic, must be quattro.
Prefer RNS-E or other bigger map-based nav (or minus $795 from budget to get a replacement unit)
Should have a very clean PPI or at least only minor stuff that I can fix on my own

Budget is pretty slim, but not terribly so, at $7k _INCLUDING_ anything I have to fix myself

Wondering why every Allroad I find in even halfway-decent shape is listed at $8k or more, when a fully decked-out 2005 with MMI and all the options in excellent condition has a KBB Private Party value of $6200...
Wondering why every S6 I find either has a broken trans or is listed $4k or more above KBB Private Party Excellent value
Wondering why every A6 that comes close to meeting my criteria has a huge maintenance to-do list...

Anyway... If you or someone you know has one they're looking to get rid of, I'd appreciate the heads-up!

Thanks
O_E

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 17:06
And on to the RANT

Trying to buy one of the above either locally, from dealerships, or from private parties (backpage, craigslist, pennysaver, ebay, autotrader, cars.com, etc...) I get two categories:

1st category: Car needs work (hard stop, end of description) no mention whether it's a smoking hulk, or just needs a brake job, or anything of that nature - usually posted with 1 blurry picture where you can hardly even tell the color of the car, and none of the options noted, but usually at or just under the KBB "Very Good" Value

2nd category: Car runs great, needs nothing (super long description including the $5k worth of maintenance they've done in the past 3 years), good pictures and lots of them, and priced well above KBB Excellent condition value

Then when I contact them, I usually don't hear back from the 1st category, or worse from a dealership "We're not going to take it to have a pre-purchase inspection, this is a $5,000 car, not a $50,000 car." Look here, dimwit - if you want to _sell_ the car, and _make your commission_, maybe you can put 20 minutes into driving it over to the closest Audi dealership and back. Treat it like a $50k car, and you _might_ even get close to the KBB retail value (usually fair price plus 30-40%). From the 2nd category "I know it's above KBB, but that's what they go for" *facepalm* And how long have you been trying to sell it? 6 months? That immaculate one that you're pointing to for "value" had 20k miles on it, not 130k. They also had a stack of inspection and maintenance receipts from the dealership, and a zero-accident one-owner CarFax, and all the consumable bits had been replaced within 6 months before selling.

I mean, if someone were to try selling their RS6 this way, we'd laugh at them. Ad contents below:

Category 1: "RS6 for sale, needs some work, grey color, $21k firm"
Category 2: --long description bunch of pics-- 120k miles, $60k firm.

It's been awhile since I bought a car, but I don't remember it being this much of a hassle :\

O_E

Turbowned
April 7th, 2015, 17:17
Yeah, good luck. I'm trying to find a B5 or B6 A4 1.8T for a daily beater and they're impossible to find unmodified or generally haggard with a quarter of a million miles on them. I just want one that's reasonably presentable; is that so much to ask?! I might have to go back to the B4's and try to find a survivor somewhere...

Bdubs
April 7th, 2015, 17:46
FWIW, I sold my 2002 S6 Avant back in Oct 2013 with just shy of 90k miles for $12,500 to a guy who flew in from Seattle to Cincinnati and drove it home. It was in great shape but didn't have the RNSE. If someone doesn't need to sell the car, value/price is really in the eyes of the holder as we see on here from time to time.

I really enjoyed the S6 Avant...was a bit weak on power for me, but with sways front and rear it really was a great driving car.

Curious to see what you're able to eventually find...good luck!

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 18:30
FWIW, I sold my 2002 S6 Avant back in Oct 2013 with just shy of 90k miles for $12,500 to a guy who flew in from Seattle to Cincinnati and drove it home. It was in great shape but didn't have the RNSE. If someone doesn't need to sell the car, value/price is really in the eyes of the holder as we see on here from time to time.

I really enjoyed the S6 Avant...was a bit weak on power for me, but with sways front and rear it really was a great driving car.

Curious to see what you're able to eventually find...good luck!

Thanks, I saw a couple S6 Avant's, the prices people are asking are insane. $12,500 would be a bargain.

Example from last week: 2002 S6 Avant, needed ~$2500 in parts plus about $400 in labor I wouldn't be able to handle, 180k miles, guy was asking $14k firm. To be fair, it had Nav, but not RNS-E

Do these people just not want to sell, or what?

Turbowned - check out the DC area, there's a glut of 1.8T and 2.0T's down here, and about half the folks listing them seem to think they're 6-cylinders. :|

I've got a good line on a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line, just need the owner to get off his butt and get it down to Audi Tyson's (3 miles from where he lives) to get the PPI done so I know I'm not getting into yet another moneypit.

O_E

Cmnair
April 8th, 2015, 23:52
Jus sold my 2004 A6 2.tT sline for $6700 back in January. I was the original owner and with all documentation and was in great shape

Other_Erik
April 9th, 2015, 19:29
Jus sold my 2004 A6 2.tT sline for $6700 back in January. I was the original owner and with all documentation and was in great shape

For some reason, that doesn't make me feel any better... :|

It's alright, I didn't have the cash on hand in January and still had the Jeep to get rid of at that point. Sounds like I missed a gem, though!

O_E

Other_Erik
July 21st, 2015, 15:54
Going back through my old threads, found this one and felt it deserved an update

Bought a 2005 A6 3.2Q with every option EXCEPT rear-view camera and Park Assist
190k miles, needs tires, needed a replacement ABS module, EVAP canister, flex pipe, and the flap motor actuator was flappy
All in all including the parts I've bought and work I paid for, about $5700 into it. The wife loves it and drives it daily. She's named her "Freyja" (the Norse goddess known as "The Lady", chief among the valkyries, who decides the fate of warriors slain in battle).

Next stop: pay down debt and buy a house. Living the 'murican dream, boyo, with 2 German cars in the driveway and a $400k mortgage to look forward to (if I can scrape together a 20% down payment, damn DC area housing market is worse than Honolulu!).

O_E

Turbowned
July 23rd, 2015, 17:23
Very nice! Every now and then you score like that. Hope you can get another 190k out of her ;)

6172crew
August 26th, 2015, 15:34
I know it's a long shot, but let's see if I can get a commuter car for the wifey here...

2004-05 Allroad
2002-03 S6
2003-07 A6

Prefer RNS-E or other bigger map-based nav (or minus $795 from budget to get a replacement unit)
Should have a very clean PPI or at least only minor stuff that I can fix on my own

Budget is pretty slim, but not terribly so, at $7k _INCLUDING_ anything I have to fix myself

Wondering why every Allroad I find in even halfway-decent shape is listed at $8k or more, when a fully decked-out 2005 with MMI and all the options in excellent condition has a KBB Private Party value of $6200...
Wondering why every S6 I find either has a broken trans or is listed $4k or more above KBB Private Party Excellent value
Wondering why every A6 that comes close to meeting my criteria has a huge maintenance to-do list...

Anyway... If you or someone you know has one they're looking to get rid of, I'd appreciate the heads-up!

Thanks
O_E

Before I bought my RS6 I was looking at the Volvo S60R, 300hp and turbo'd, you can find them for 7k:race:

RS666Avant
August 27th, 2015, 09:51

2004-05 Allroad
2002-03 S6
2003-07 A6

Thanks
O_E

Here is my Allroad for sale

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5187166202.html