PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E, Radio ID/Sirius problems

Fonzie Audi
April 3rd, 2015, 13:35
I installed a RNS-E unit years ago (purchased off eBay) before I had an XM/Sirius account. At this time, I'm trying to activate the unit with Sirius. When I go to XM > Setup > Radio ID, it's just says:

"The Radio ID for this receiver is: " (no number is provided, it's blank).

Sirius is telling me they can't activate the unit without the correct Radio ID. Is there anywhere else I can retrieve this number? I'm thinking this unit may just be a loss and to buy another RNS-E unit from eBay. Trying to get this issue solved.

hahnmgh63
April 3rd, 2015, 13:49
If it is the original Satellite module from the car it won't work with the RNS-E. You have to upgrade to a later revision. Same part number but a later revision number. Try a search on here or on Audiforums.us for the latest. I am using a XM module and the revision is '.AA' I believe. I think early RS6 modules were '.A' if they were XM and a 'D' Revision for Sirius. You need a 'E' revision or later to use with an RNS-E.
Edit: Here is an old AudiWorld post on the subject. So it looks like a 'E' revision at a minimum but the latest revisions should be faster and possibly offer other options.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec115.shtml

RSoverAll
April 3rd, 2015, 14:47
The radio ID is also on the unit itself, unless the stickers are gone that is.

Fonzie Audi
April 3rd, 2015, 14:53
It's not the original unit, I purchased it from eBay in 2008. Fits and works just fine, but the only piece missing is Sirius activation.

I did take a look at the sticker on the unit and read off the numbers to the Sirius rep - and he said none of those numbers are the correct radio ID.

I'm thinking of just picking another one up on Ebay.

hahnmgh63
April 4th, 2015, 02:51
Also make sure you have the RNS-E soft coded for the Sat radio or it may not show up.

RSoverAll
April 5th, 2015, 02:06
Give this a try.

In VCDS.
Go to "Electronics 2" in select control module and find 0F- Digital Radio and see if it lists the part number and serial number, of which SiriusXm should be able to use.

Fonzie Audi
April 5th, 2015, 02:47
Give this a try.

In VCDS.
Go to "Electronics 2" in select control module and find 0F- Digital Radio and see if it lists the part number and serial number, of which SiriusXm should be able to use.

I did exactly that, and it gave me a serial #. Sirius claiming that's not the "radio ID" number that they are looking for.

RSoverAll
April 5th, 2015, 02:58
Well I thought they could activate with at least the serial number of the digital tuner....

Fonzie Audi
April 5th, 2015, 13:23
Well I thought they could activate with at least the serial number of the digital tuner....

Me too. Sirius hasn't been the most cooperative group during this troubleshooting process.