PDA

View Full Version : How do I adjust headlight alignment?

BLITZEN
March 31st, 2015, 02:21
I just had my driver side headlight replaced and it only lights up 20 feet in front of the car. How do I adjust it up higher? Thanks!

lswing
March 31st, 2015, 02:41
There are some adjustment screws visible, but be careful as the white plastic is brittle. My guess is that it's the main bracing screws that are off though. Loosen and level parked flat facing a wall. Lights are also auto leveling with a motor inside, you can use ross-tech VCDS to check and level/adjust them. Who replaced it? Maybe it's not put in right either, I'd have them fix it:)

RSoverAll
March 31st, 2015, 03:02

Here is what the Bentley lists as I've never done the adjustment personally.

mrdave
March 31st, 2015, 04:27
If it's pointing that far down make sure the auto-level motor is attached to the back of the reflector and that the tab it connects to isn't broken.

edit: it's the "range-adjustment motor connector" in this pic, although that's a passenger's side headlight:

http://www.mithril.ca/audi/headlights/evox/evox-r006.jpg

lswing
March 31st, 2015, 04:33
Good point, seems like the bulb or motor isn't in right, or the whole unit might look really off.

DHall1
March 31st, 2015, 05:28
Dont adjust the manual screw too far as you can snap off the clip. Then you are really screwed

Other_Erik
March 31st, 2015, 12:00
Just went through this with my beast, you have to put the headlights into adjustment mode. Vagcom individual group 55, basic options 4, group 001. Adjustment is the white plastic screw on top of the capsule, 5.5mm Allen wrench. Turn counter-clockwise to adjust upward, when finished change Vagcom group to 002. Takes less than 5 minutes. Recommend you do this with headlights on, facing a flat level target.

I can finally see more than 10 feet of road at night! =)

O_E

BLITZEN
March 31st, 2015, 16:56
Thank you everyone. I'm guessing Other Erik is right 'cause I tried adjusting my lights right after I first got my car and couldn't get them to move despite screwing the adjustment screws. Problem is, I don't own a Vagcom and wouldn't know how much to tell someone else to adjust them. Erik, could they be left in adjustment mode overnight? Like I take it somewhere to put it into adjustment mode, take it home, adjust the lights that night, and then have them taken out of adjustment mode the next day?

marklar182
March 31st, 2015, 17:05
No, once the Vagcom is disconnected you are out of the adjustment.

This is the best $250 you will ever spend on your RS6 http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

RSoverAll
April 1st, 2015, 01:55
So true. I don't think I would own one of these cars and not have that software.

DHall1
April 1st, 2015, 05:18
Adjuster may already be broke

Thank you everyone. I'm guessing Other Erik is right 'cause I tried adjusting my lights right after I first got my car and couldn't get them to move despite screwing the adjustment screws. Problem is, I don't own a Vagcom and wouldn't know how much to tell someone else to adjust them. Erik, could they be left in adjustment mode overnight? Like I take it somewhere to put it into adjustment mode, take it home, adjust the lights that night, and then have them taken out of adjustment mode the next day?

Bigglezworth
April 1st, 2015, 06:25
This specfic item is covered in Ross-Tech Wiki....

Other_Erik
April 1st, 2015, 12:03

If you're taking it somewhere already, just bring a 5.5mm allen wrench and make the adjustment while the Vagcom is still attached. Other posters are correct, once the key goes to off position or the vagcom is removed from the ODB2, you're no longer in adjustment/learn mode. In all seriousness, less than 5 minutes to adjust headlights up/down.

O_E

6172crew
November 16th, 2015, 22:37
Am I correct that I can adjust the lights manually when the vagcomm is hooked up? Im using the wifi one and it doesnt seem to have the same features other ones do. Im at a value of 50 but I cant adjust it through the gui.

lswing
November 16th, 2015, 22:51
Seems like wireless should work the same, here's from RT, http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/xenonalignment.html

After lowering my car a bit they sit low, even with adjustment screws all the way, don't strip these!

I believe I need to put the adjustment screws back to the middle height, use RT to level, then I can manually move them up as needed. Will try this soon.

They will auto up, level, and down depending on gradient when driving.

6172crew
November 16th, 2015, 23:02
Im reading up on the hexnet system right now. They way they want you to adjust is missing from what im seeing. I can reset codes at which time the headlights move and clear. I wasnt using the app that available nor am I using the laptop so Im probably missing a few features that I will look for when I get home.