PDA

View Full Version : New Tires: Dunlop: SP Sport Maxx GT $699 set of 4 SHIPPED, OE RS6 fit

G2
March 28th, 2015, 23:19
Dunlop: SP Sport Maxx GT. $699 set of 4. That's under $175 each SHIPPED. NOS. Save about $325 a set (See Tire rack)! Currently 5 sets available. PM me for details/ordering, leave your ph#.

Tire Size: 255/40R-18 (OE Fit for Audi RS6)
Service Description: 95 Y
Sidewall: BSW
Load Range: SL (4 Ply)

BigMac
April 23rd, 2015, 19:05
Please let me know if you have set available. 248-361-6405

Other_Erik
April 23rd, 2015, 19:38
Gary I know you're a master mechanic and all, and I'm not trying to knock these, so correct me if I'm wrong -

I thought the OE spec for tires was Load Range 99Y / XL (Extra Load) - right?

Or have I been wasting money getting more expensive tires?

Thanks
O_E

PS If anyone wants a full size spare that matches the spec of those Dunlops, I've got one sitting in the garage that came extra with my RS from Tech_Gurru

G2
April 25th, 2015, 00:57
That's why that info is posted, Erik. But good points--

Sure it's 99 load? .....Which tire?

A 96 index starts a 'XL' rating. Very little diff between 95 and 96. 70lbs or less?

Anyone running 275/30 PSS's should notice they are 96Y. 1535lbs rated at max PSI. RS6 front axle is 2620lbs on my car...

Truth of the matter, after trying 4 sets of tires in last couple years, found the load index doesn't make a practical difference. From 95 to either 99 or 101. They all flat spot, some where terrible even with higher load index. Handling varies but can't attribute it soley to LI values, or even point the finger. Quality and construction seems tops from what I can tell.

I think the higher load index, if the tire makers are being honest in the ratings, might be helpful in some ways: possibly stiffer sidewall may be more durable, for example. Michelin only uses ONE sidewall ply. Most are two.

Would i go with a low load index on a cheap tire to save a buck? Then load it down and cruise 80+MPH on a 100F day...no, right, of course not. Choose accordingly. Unfortunately none of us will get to test even the Y speed rating. But makes us feel better knowing "it can".

BTW- Can't recall if ASE certs asks anything very technical on tires (no category for tires I am aware of, but is for HVAC, brakes, suspension, etc)... I'm just a tire enthusiast with 25yrs of trying different performance tires. If it weren't for my dang bicycle racing days (Cat 2; Pro Norba when NORBA existed) wouldn't be my own problem when it comes to tires. Used to mainly ride/train on Michelin road tires (slow but they stuck like crazy even in the wet-- and held up to glass cuts ok,unlike others) and race on Italian Clement Silk sewups (handmade; amazing ride quality, handling, $$). I digress....

A 255/40-18 is a somewhat a odd size. I'd think Dunlop would have know they'd make it onto a 4300lb car.

Apparently Michelin is on-board too. Just checked my Pilot Sport AS/3's in 255/40-18. 95Y. 95 Load, Y speed rating. Awesome tire for an All Season . Hope Vredestein has something comparable-- I will find out. Amazing selection of winter and summer tires however :)

My old boss used to always bring up being more "suscinct". Still haven't learned.

G2
April 25th, 2015, 01:39
Please let me know if you have set available. 248-361-6405

I do see some sets still left. If our, err my, rant on load index has you concerned there's other options.

I've since picked up Vredstein tires. The 'Vorti' is their top all-around summer tire to go up against the Mich Pilot Super Sport.
Not a whole lot more right more with those jumping on my pre-order deal. All are new, no Old Stock. The major on-line players cleared them out of old inventory. Doesn't seem they are offering andy deals because of it....

Here's the specs (ignore the silly MSRP price):

ZR
(99
Y)
XL
Ultrac Vorti
F / R

The F/R is an option for RWD cars: Front or Rear. Basically it's a reduced tread depth tire to help increase handling. Not needed on AWD, but it's available for those that want to sport a factory shaved type tire.

Feel free to call anytime 541.513.0801

Other_Erik
April 29th, 2015, 13:20
That's why that info is posted, Erik. But good points--

My old boss used to always bring up being more "suscinct". Still haven't learned.

Thanks Gary, good info there, I had no idea Michelin went with single-ply sidewall, my PSS don't feel that mushy, and I've yet to have flat-spotting, but we'll see when I get back to the beast sitting in my garage for a week.

And no worries on succinctness - read some of my posts and you'll see what I'm talking about :)
I try not to be condescending / insulting and it's sometimes really hard when all you have to work with is text. I defer to those with vastly more experience (such as yourself) when it comes to complicated systems of which I don't have a thorough understanding. Even so, details can be overlooked by anyone, was just trying to be sure the tires you've got rolling through are going to do the buyers right, y'know?

Would love to see a longer-term side-by-side comparo of the PSS vs. the Vrede Vorti. I'm loving tooling around on the PSS, have yet to over-drive the tires, only the car with its behemoth weight and tendency to roll, understeer, and sway. My problem with tires is always dry-rot - I don't put enough miles on them in 5-7 years to wear them down (yes, even with the RS), and they end up rotting, usually at the sidewall/tread shoulder. It's not that I don't care about wear mileage, more that I've yet to find a tire with a stable enough compound to last 7-8 years. Typically put 5-6k miles on the car per year, and that's about evenly split between summer tire and winter tire sets.

O_E

G2
April 30th, 2015, 01:22
Must admit to also being surprised on the construction. The MPSS has very soft sidewalls, at least in my size (275/30-19). Flat spotting is a non-issue, but still bugs me. It's definitely the best so far. Air pressure makes little to no difference.

Yes, would agree- text is somewhat limiting at times. No rubbing of said fur, intended.... But with tires it's just raw data for people to look at. It's up to them if they are the right type of Buyer...I'm always happy to offer my input, however. Wouldn't offer something too far out of context w/o some supporting information, or caveot: "these are the best brake pads or tires inthe world--- for the track, anyway".

Michelin is pretty conservative with tire life. Seven years? Even my dad had some newer Michelin with sidewall problems. Most of the heavy truckers know Mich. makes a comfy tire,but witha trade off in sidewall durability. Think I blew a Michelin on my 40' motorcoach once (inner dually so can't exactly remember 12+yrs ago).

I don't/wont' sell lower end Michelins- too many issues, including supply chain challenges. I think the top end tires are great-- long as I/We/You know what we're getting. But maybe priced far too optimistically high. Prices are far less in Europe, more than what any shipping would cost here.

For commuting I really like the PSS, except for the noise at certain speeds which can be annoying. To me that's the main benefit. The B-stone RE11 was an amazing handler, but flat spotted terribly so, dreadful....but too bad we couldn't mate them, ha.

Who knows maybe the Vredestein Vorti will fill the void. The old Sessantra was stellar I thought. Several Vorti sets are now sold and to be installed- BMW 335i, B8 A4, C5-RS6. Plus other vehicles, a very old VW truck, newer VW Class C RV with heavy duty tires. Probably put a set of the all-seasons on the B7 A4 too.

G2
April 30th, 2015, 01:31
In case anyone is curious:

Here's the specs (ignore the silly MSRP price):

ZR
(99
Y)
XL
Ultrac Vorti
F / R

$173.92 each. Shipping will vary. Guessing $20-40 p/tire should be realistic.

Of course most popular sizes are also available. Order goes in tomorrow morning. Probably gives us until 12-1pm PST to add anything else on.

G2
May 1st, 2015, 03:22
There's still time. Waiting for my rep to confirm availability, then it's done.

With the time it takes to put together it's more a social nice-guy service than anything :incar:

Still a few sets of the Dunlops left. Sounds like one of the guys here will get a set.

DHall1
May 5th, 2015, 16:25
Hi Gary

Can you price 255 40 21 in the sport max?

G2
May 9th, 2015, 00:47
Hi DHall, if you still need them email me direct at garyforman@centurytel.net 21's?