PDA

View Full Version : Its been 3 years

tightgroup
March 25th, 2015, 04:20
I have been looking for a decent RS6 here in Montreal and finally I think I found one. A 2004 with 233k on it. Though all of the maintenance records are available. I know its high mileage.. but if it seems to be well maintained. Its going in the shop on Monday for a full inspection. The two brothers at the shop know their stuff and specialize in Volks /Audi.. My wife would prefer the 2007 A8L I found for less than 16k...

I fear I will be RS6less again ..

Most of the examples for sale in this neck of the woods are either scams or undocumented (no maintenance history, unknown service records).. I will post my findings..

Dmb408
March 25th, 2015, 12:53
I am sure people will start chiming in here but in my experience...I would check for the following myself, knowing what I know now:
- Any leaks on the intercoolers, just shine a flashlight in there;
- weeping valve cover gaskets, just look for oil build up on the covers;
- battery voltage (i.e. does the alternator, voltage regulator, battery or other need replacing) should be pretty well at 14 with everything powered down, anything less and you'll be replacing one of the things in parentheses, Audi's tolerance for the battery voltage range is much too wide (i.e. in the inspection parameters)
- bushing noise on cold starts after the car has sat, does it make any noise when first moving
- does the car make any bearing noise when you go around corners with the window down listening

The above are all known, common items, in my experience that you can fix and they aren't bad but knowing those costs will come soon up front is better. On the whole trans issue, I have always seen that issue as a pure roll of the dice. Change the fluid with some Shaffers or BND or Redline or whatever and just enjoy the car til it blows up.

Bigglezworth
March 25th, 2015, 14:28
I know its high mileage.. This isn't high mileage..... It's average mileage - on a 11yr old car. Start talking to me about high mileage when you have double that. I hope for your sake the car was owned and serviced outside of Quebec. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the car industry inside the QUE border. So much so, you wouldn't see my buying anything from that part of Canada - even if it was 50% less than the same item in Ontario. Buyer beware.[/quote]

ScottW
March 25th, 2015, 14:40
I was going to buy one from Montreal that had 112,000km on it, but some red flags went up so I backed out of the deal.

I ended up buying one in Toronto that had a salvage/rebuilt title with 172,500km on it, but it had far better documentation, and in order to get a rebuilt brand, has to pass a structural inspection. I spent an additional $3,100 to have my mechanic replace any and all issues that were brought up by a Pfaff Audi PPI.

I, also, would be very wary of buying a Quebec car without a thorough inspection and documentation. Most guys in the car business that I know will not entertain purchasing Quebec cars as they have had nothing but issues.

As Bigglezworth has state, 233,000KM is not high mileage for an 11 year old car.

SteveKen
March 25th, 2015, 15:29
I know of a very clean 6MT car in Ontario if you're interested.

No future slushbox rebuilds to worry about. :)

ScottW
March 25th, 2015, 15:40
I know of a very clean 6MT car in Ontario if you're interested.

No future slushbox rebuilds to worry about. :)

I will vouch for that seller! So long as it's Sergio's we're talking about.

SteveKen
March 25th, 2015, 16:22
I will vouch for that seller! So long as it's Sergio's we're talking about.

Yep. His initial buyer had some unique circumstances and had to back out.

I've been in it for a ride and it's very nice and very clean.

Jimmy
March 25th, 2015, 17:34
I have been looking for a decent RS6 here in Montreal and finally I think I found one. A 2004 with 233k on it. Though all of the maintenance records are available. I know its high mileage.. but if it seems to be well maintained. Its going in the shop on Monday for a full inspection. The two brothers at the shop know their stuff and specialize in Volks /Audi.. My wife would prefer the 2007 A8L I found for less than 16k...

I fear I will be RS6less again ..

Most of the examples for sale in this neck of the woods are either scams or undocumented (no maintenance history, unknown service records).. I will post my findings..

If you pass on that one and would like to drive the 5 or so hours and take mine off my hands...it has ONLY 108K miles on it and has brand new 19" euro 5 spoke rims with 255mm Hankook V12 tires , and a new from 2011 RNS-E. I have kids getting closer to driving age and no way they are getting this as a their first car to drive. I'd love to pass the torch to another enthusiast from here. PM me for more deets and pix.

Bigglezworth
March 25th, 2015, 17:43
35% premium to purchase a USD vehicle (currency exchange, duty, PST, GST, transport, RIV fee, out of country inspection, out of province inspection). I try to explain this to people crying foul for listing one of my rides here with 120K on it for $22,000.00CDN and they have it in their mind they can get one from the US for $18,000.00 that is the same. When you go through the simple math for them, they just look at you dumbfounded and still don't understand it will cost them $24-25K CDN for that same vehicle that was 18K USD, but still be unhappy with me selling for 15% lower at 22K..... lol

Jimmy
March 25th, 2015, 21:34
I'm in the mid-teens for price (wish the car commanded more $$ but don't we all), but hear you on all that B. Thanks.

USA peeps...stay tooned for more info in the classifieds soon. Winter is almost done down here and the car comes out of the garage next month. Have a few nice extras to go along with the car too.

lswing
March 25th, 2015, 21:51
Don't you have a nice set of 19" summer wheels? PM me if so. Sorry to hear you're parting with the beast.

tightgroup
March 26th, 2015, 00:22
I am open to what is being offered, though I would ask if you PMed me on these items. I seem to have a hard time to send any PMs

papadoc
March 26th, 2015, 01:37
You should check out this car, not horribly far from you, and I seriously considered it but being on the Left Coast, was just too far from me.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31870-X-Post-PRICE-DROP-on-my-RS6

EINHORN
March 27th, 2015, 01:20
jimmy

let me know what you got, coventry brother, I thought you were in for long haul. go get a beater from Scott for the kids. keep the rs

Jimmy
March 27th, 2015, 20:49
jimmy

let me know what you got, coventry brother, I thought you were in for long haul. go get a beater from Scott for the kids. keep the rs

I've had mine for 6+ years....that's a pretty long time. :hihi: Scotty has his own RS6 now, and his wife drives an allroad almost like ours (feeling sorta queer with that)...deep down I will miss it (I really don't want to sell to be honest but too many Hi-po cars right now) Mine has truly been a wonderful car with very little to speak of in the issues dept. I drove 4 other RS6s before finding this one and zero regrets.

No beaters for the kinder, besides Coventry doesn't sell junk ! LOL... the boy wants an older C-Class 4-matic and the girl wants a regular A6 quattro, we can't be upset with those choices.

If whomever takes my car doesn't want the extras...for sure they will be available. Stay tuned. Sorry for the tangent , OP.

tightgroup
March 31st, 2015, 04:17
Well my prospect Beast was in for an inspecton. Here is what the diagnostic found

Address 01: Engine Labels: 077-907-558-BCY.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4D1 907 558 E

6 Faults Found:

17867 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236)
P1459 - 008 - Implausible Signal
17746 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P1338 - 001 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
16840 - EVAP System
P0456 - 002 - Very Small Leak Detected
18613 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 008 -
18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671)
P1985 - 002 - Malfunction - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

plus some leakage on the turbos, leak rear main between the tranny and engine, plus control arm bushings are shot and front disk need to be replaced

I am prepared to walk away

lswing
March 31st, 2015, 04:27
Just sounds like routine maintenance that's been ignored. Rear main seal out of trans is common, upgraded seal available. Ask for $3k off current price to fix things if the rest of the car is perfect. I'd rather find a better maintained one though...

tightgroup
April 4th, 2015, 06:08
Well my prospect Beast was in for an inspecton. Here is what the diagnostic found

Address 01: Engine Labels: 077-907-558-BCY.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4D1 907 558 E

6 Faults Found:

17867 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236)
P1459 - 008 - Implausible Signal
17746 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P1338 - 001 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
16840 - EVAP System
P0456 - 002 - Very Small Leak Detected
18613 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 008 -
18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671)
P1985 - 002 - Malfunction - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

plus some leakage on the turbos, leak rear main between the tranny and engine, plus control arm bushings are shot and front disk need to be replaced

I am prepared to walk away

Well after talking to my mechanic and getting an estimate to the original owner, he wants me to make an offer.. I am thinking of 11k for the car..

Dmb408
April 4th, 2015, 13:48
Maybe make it 4 off. Just drop the engine and do everything proactively.

4everRS
April 4th, 2015, 16:27
Just sounds like routine maintenance that's been ignored. Rear main seal out of trans is common, upgraded seal available. Ask for $3k off current price to fix things if the rest of the car is perfect. I'd rather find a better maintained one though...

Seems like more serious maintenance to me. Rear main seal is a big deal. That what he said is leaking. Rear seal of the trans is not as big of a deal. Rear main of engine will require engine drop.

To the op, I would walk.

EINHORN
April 5th, 2015, 01:19
run, Forrest

tightgroup
April 5th, 2015, 02:55
LOL so no box of chocolates for me :(

lswing
April 5th, 2015, 15:40
Find one for ~$20k that has been well cared for. Unless you can fix stuff or have a good mechanic, trying to find a deal on one of these could cost you.

tightgroup
April 7th, 2015, 02:09
well the deal went bad, so no RS6. I will keep looking

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 12:05
well the deal went bad, so no RS6. I will keep looking

Don't give up, you'll find your unicorn!

Don't
Ever
Settle

I held off on a couple nice candidate RS6's that needed a good amount of work done, ended up getting mine from TechGurru here and couldn't be happier! Maybe DHall1 will sell you one of his? Also, I seem to remember a CDN-Spec RS here in the Washington DC area that was up for sale not too long ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the seller just wanted to get rid of it pretty inexpensive as well, like $13-14k? My memory sucks but for some reason that's sticking the longer I think about it.

O_E

Turbowned
April 7th, 2015, 16:07
How much are you looking to spend? I don't know anything about the extra costs involved with bringing a car from the U.S. into Canada, but I might be looking to sell my stock '03 with 85k miles for ~$20k USD soon. It's currently receiving Koni shocks all around, all 8 front control arms and sway bar end links, and a replacement steering rack. Having 3 cars is killing me on insurance and storage to only be able to drive one at a time, so I'm thinking of downsizing to one car, hopefully a P-car of some sort.

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 16:11
How much are you looking to spend? I don't know anything about the extra costs involved with bringing a car from the U.S. into Canada, but I might be looking to sell my stock '03 with 85k miles for ~$20k USD soon. It's currently receiving Koni shocks all around, all 8 front control arms and sway bar end links, and a replacement steering rack. I'm quite possibly taking the plunge into Porsche ownership, *gasp*

Turbowned - importing a US spec car into Canada is a long and expensive process... think a year plus, and CND$10-15k. The only "easy" import is a Canada-spec 2004 that someone imported to the US. Bringing those back is pretty much "Sooooo, does it still have the Canadian inspection certificate in the paperwork, eh?" "Yep, here's the certificate, ya silly hoosier." "Well very good then, in ya go! Have a nice day, eh?"

O_E

Turbowned
April 8th, 2015, 05:19
You'd think it would be simpler considering how many JDM imports they bring into Canada. I know a couple people who bring JDM Nissan Skylines and whatnot into the U.S. through Canada after they've been imported.

Bigglezworth
April 8th, 2015, 05:52
Turbowned - importing a US spec car into Canada is a long and expensive process... think a year plus, and CND$10-15k. The only "easy" import is a Canada-spec 2004 that someone imported to the US. Bringing those back is pretty much "Sooooo, does it still have the Canadian inspection certificate in the paperwork, eh?" "Yep, here's the certificate, ya silly hoosier." "Well very good then, in ya go! Have a nice day, eh?"

O_EInaccurate statement. And what's with the 'eh', 'hoosier', etc......

Any vehicle that resides in the US can be imported into Canada as long as it's not on the RIV's (Registra of Imported Vehicles) list of impermissible vehicles. Any vehicle that was exported from Canada to the US can return to Canada without any out of country inspections and without having to pay any duty or taxes either (as all of those were already conducted and paid for). A reinspection for the respective province would still be required as part of the registration effort.

The 03 RS6 was not admissible until the spring of 2009 after which point in time the Canadian Department of Transportation harmonized their bumper standards to match the Europoean Union and US standards (reduced our safety requirements to the lesser requirement of the others). I have imported three '03 RS6's since that point in time which is easy peasy. You simply need to account for delta in currency exhance, duty, provincial tax, federal tax, import fees, inspections, etc. Paperwork is straight forward and completed via Internet. There is some preplanning to account for from a timing perspective that you need to well account for so as to make the time at the border minimal. Remember you neede to not only import to Canada, but you also need to export from the US. USCBP needs to ensure vehicle isn't stolen and performs a full trace on the car prior to permitting it's departure from their country. I can talk to anyone via phone that want to perform this for any car.

The effort is slightly different for off-shore vehicles as you simply cannot import those until a 15 year time period has passed. Then you can import whatever you want as long as you pay tax, and as long as the vehicle passes inspections and can be registered. I plan on importing a 2002 RS6 Avant in a year and a bit.....

Other_Erik
April 8th, 2015, 12:30
Inaccurate statement. And what's with the 'eh', 'hoosier', etc......

Any vehicle that resides in the US can be imported into Canada as long as it's not on the RIV's (Registra of Imported Vehicles) list of impermissible vehicles. Any vehicle that was exported from Canada to the US can return to Canada without any out of country inspections and without having to pay any duty or taxes either (as all of those were already conducted and paid for). A reinspection for the respective province would still be required as part of the registration effort.

The 03 RS6 was not admissible until the spring of 2009 after which point in time the Canadian Department of Transportation harmonized their bumper standards to match the Europoean Union and US standards (reduced our safety requirements to the lesser requirement of the others). I have imported three '03 RS6's since that point in time which is easy peasy. You simply need to account for delta in currency exhance, duty, provincial tax, federal tax, import fees, inspections, etc. Paperwork is straight forward and completed via Internet. There is some preplanning to account for from a timing perspective that you need to well account for so as to make the time at the border minimal. Remember you neede to not only import to Canada, but you also need to export from the US. USCBP needs to ensure vehicle isn't stolen and performs a full trace on the car prior to permitting it's departure from their country. I can talk to anyone via phone that want to perform this for any car.

The effort is slightly different for off-shore vehicles as you simply cannot import those until a 15 year time period has passed. Then you can import whatever you want as long as you pay tax, and as long as the vehicle passes inspections and can be registered. I plan on importing a 2002 RS6 Avant in a year and a bit.....

Thank you for the correction, I may have been thinking of the other way 'round (importing from Canada to the US, or from EU to US)

O_E

tightgroup
April 15th, 2015, 03:05
Wow what a day today. First our sixth grandchild was born this morning, a beautiful healthy baby boy and tonight I pulled the trigger on my "new" RS6..

MaxRS6
April 15th, 2015, 13:17
^Big congrats on the Boy!

Which one?:hahahehe:

edit: LOL- Both

lswing
April 15th, 2015, 18:19
^Big congrats on the Boy!

Which one?:hahahehe:

Congratulations all around!

Bigglezworth
April 15th, 2015, 19:31
Buffalo's??

4everRS
April 15th, 2015, 21:15
Congrats on the new additions!

tightgroup
April 16th, 2015, 01:26
Montreal's

tightgroup
April 25th, 2015, 01:23
Took possession of my new beast today, took a long detour after picking it up.. what a monster. Still need to adjust to the driving style of the beast.. Will get some pics next week..

Turbowned
April 26th, 2015, 17:03
Excellent, congrats!