PDA

View Full Version : Regular maintenance, question on found part

Other_Erik
March 22nd, 2015, 14:29
Doing some regular maintenance, found the attached pic, next to a quarter-inch ratchet for size reference, any idea where this goes /what it holds in?

Thanks
O_Ehttp://s7.postimg.org/shw0kxj97/IMG_20150321_213733.jpg

Bigglezworth
March 22nd, 2015, 14:41
Holds the front bumper skin on to the radiator support. You fasten this upwards through the bumper pistons. One each side. Pull off your intercooler grilles and make sure you have both in place.

kruat
March 22nd, 2015, 15:13
^ winner winner chicken dinner ^

mrdave
March 22nd, 2015, 15:36
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng63-07.jpg

lswing
March 22nd, 2015, 17:52
Found where? Best we ever did was find a Philips screwdriver in the TCU well.

Other_Erik
March 23rd, 2015, 11:10
Found where? Best we ever did was find a Philips screwdriver in the TCU well.

Found between the front of the passenger side intercooler and the IC Grill, just chilling out inside that pocket in the bumper skin. Oil change will be about 2 months from now, will take that opportunity to get a ratchet and a 10mm box-end wrench off the top of the under-engine skid, maybe another bit or two down there, plus one of the air filter cover hold-down screws. Sucks trying to work on the Beast and having NEAT screwing with you (Non-Essential Action Tremors)...

Now if only I could find the other dozen or so missing attachment hardwares, we'd be in business. Loving that my radiator is held in place by gravity and coolant piping, my intake inlets are held in place because they're wedged in, my SAI pump is missing a mounting bolt, Both of the Cleco fasteners for the front engine cover are completely gone, etc... I'll have to see if the driver side bumper skin to radiator support bolt is in... All of this courtesy the shop that wrenched on the beast after the pothole incident :|

Thanks
O_E

Bigglezworth
March 23rd, 2015, 14:03
The bumper skin houses the cross rail for the bumper and not having this fastened properly to the bumper piston reduces the overall performance of the bumper should impact occur. Don't put this item off until a future oil change. It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.

Other_Erik
March 23rd, 2015, 14:06
The bumper skin houses the cross rail for the bumper and not having this fastened properly to the bumper piston reduces the overall performance of the bumper should impact occur. Don't put this item off until a future oil change. It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.

Gotcha, will put that back in this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up!

SteveKen
March 23rd, 2015, 15:16
It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.

Provided the alignment is right.

Sometimes they can be a major PITA to get aligned and fastened. Hopefully the securing nut piece on the top of the bumper is not missing.

From the little things mentioned above, it seems that the maintenance/repair was 'half assed' for the most part by the repair shop. Hopefully you will not have any issues until you do a thorough inspection...

Other_Erik
March 23rd, 2015, 16:10
Provided the alignment is right.

Sometimes they can be a major PITA to get aligned and fastened. Hopefully the securing nut piece on the top of the bumper is not missing.

From the little things mentioned above, it seems that the maintenance/repair was 'half assed' for the most part by the repair shop. Hopefully you will not have any issues until you do a thorough inspection...

Agreed. Looking more and more like it'd be less costly to pay someone who knows the RS6 platform to un-fsck mine than to keep driving it with little crap like this cropping up. Anyone up for the job?