PDA

View Full Version : Aux Radiator Delete, Engine still in... Need Info.

s8prtotype
March 16th, 2015, 04:55
Let me know how you guys feel about this, We simply looked at the system and decided to re-use the 1 way coolant valve and route it towards the lower pipe you're supposed to "cap" because that back pipe isn't coming out unless the motor is pulled...

This is how we did it...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/bakerized/RS6/26ae7a28-19f1-49ba-979b-5dd8a710a2da_zpscxfrriw9.jpg

Didn't want coolant just sitting in that one pipe so I guess it can still flow if it wants too?

Everything else heating up your intercoolers you just remove... :)

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/bakerized/RS6/a9e6b93b-45b9-483f-9a53-0589191daec0_zps95hgmjuw.jpg

Even though you can only see a little of this once back together I still love powdercoated parts and cleanliness :)

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/bakerized/RS6/5c53b14b-3775-4b6f-883a-685591cb5298_zpsxoxvwwdh.jpg

She fired up, MUCH better than it was even after redoing the tensioners, didn't even chain rattle and only had a few hiccups until the oil actually pressurized them, it didn't last very long at all and it was shorter than when it was actually acting up before hand, seemed normal after that much work.

The real test comes when I fire it up tomorrow when its cold. Hope she's good... only other thing it could be is the crappy plastic part under the intake manifold.

When the last guys did the timing i'm not so sure they got it spot on, or the shittyist cheapest dayco belt you can buy streched a little, drivers side intake cam wasn't perfectly lined up?

Gates racing belt isn't stretching tho :)

Let me know your thoughts!

Bigglezworth
March 16th, 2015, 13:06
Old news. See Post #30 on this thread

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26454-Happy-Holiday-s-RS6-com/page2?highlight=valve+cover+gaskets

DHall1
March 16th, 2015, 13:56
Could you bypass the aux radiators in this manner and leave them installed?

s8prtotype
March 16th, 2015, 15:54
Old news. See Post #30 on this thread

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26454-Happy-Holiday-s-RS6-com/page2?highlight=valve+cover+gaskets

Awesome, hard to search for a post like that... Great minds think alike :)

The thing is, I put the valve going the other way... so this is what i was wondering really, does it really matter?

Bigglezworth
March 16th, 2015, 15:55
Could you bypass the aux radiators in this manner and leave them installed?Absolutlely. The back-flow valve keeps the boiling hot water exiting from the water pump/T-stat from flowing directly in to the coolant overflow resevoir without being subjected to some form of air cooling. If you simply by pass without having the back-flow valve in place, you will quickly overheat the engine.

Awesome, hard to search for a post like that... Great minds think alike :)

The thing is, I put the valve going the other way... so this is what i was wondering really, does it really matter?
It does matter yes. You can't push hot fluid that has not been cooled by a radiator (be it the aux or main rad) back in to the coolant resevoir. You're going to overhead your engine if you.

s8prtotype
March 16th, 2015, 16:03
Could you bypass the aux radiators in this manner and leave them installed?

They would be completely bypassed by hooking that hose up, but the piping mess left over is going to bug you.

But, its not hard to remove the front bumper and wheel well plastic the get them out... the hose that runs across the bottom I simply cut on both sides as it's stuck up in there with the radiator.

The upper pipe is easy, but i'm not sure if the intercoolers will lift up without it in service position, you could remove most of the hoses and leave the rad's attached to the intercoolers so you dont lose your rear ducting, with just the front bumper removed.

s8prtotype
March 16th, 2015, 16:07
Absolutlely. The back-flow valve keeps the boiling hot water exiting from the water pump/T-stat from flowing directly in to the coolant overflow resevoir without being subjected to some form of air cooling. If you simply by pass without having the back-flow valve in place, you will quickly overheat the engine.

It does matter yes. You can't push hot fluid that has not been cooled by a radiator (be it the aux or main rad) back in to the coolant resevoir. You're going to overhead your engine if you.

That's what I was thinking, so I installed the valve so coolant isn't going into the left over silver pipe from the upper radiator fitting, is it vice versa?

Bigglezworth
March 16th, 2015, 16:26
Blow and suck on the valve to confirm direction (should be noted with an arrow on the valve also). Then install so that fluid STOPS moving in direction noted. You cannot dump boiling hot water that hasn't been subject to cooling back in to the resevoir. The back-check valve acts effectively as a permanent stop and ensures all hot fluid passes through the radiator first.

s8prtotype
March 16th, 2015, 16:49
Ok, we did that. Mine is installed correctly, nothing was flowing back into the tank either. Thanks for clarifying.

Heading over to vagcom it in a few hours :)

DHall1
March 17th, 2015, 02:28
Thanks

Here is the deal. I want to bypass in the AZ winter months...then connect in hot desert AZ months.

If/when we go back to the mtns or Oregon...out they come for good

They would be completely bypassed by hooking that hose up, but the piping mess left over is going to bug you.

But, its not hard to remove the front bumper and wheel well plastic the get them out... the hose that runs across the bottom I simply cut on both sides as it's stuck up in there with the radiator.

The upper pipe is easy, but i'm not sure if the intercoolers will lift up without it in service position, you could remove most of the hoses and leave the rad's attached to the intercoolers so you dont lose your rear ducting, with just the front bumper removed.

s8prtotype
March 17th, 2015, 04:09
Thanks

Here is the deal. I want to bypass in the AZ winter months...then connect in hot desert AZ months.

If/when we go back to the mtns or Oregon...out they come for good

That'll work, just make sure you cap the open end so nothing gets into the system.

hahnmgh63
March 17th, 2015, 22:33
As far as the caps go, I originally used rubber caps from Napa as did Steveken who had some leak. I have since purchased some High Temp silicone caps from 034 that I plan to replace the rubber caps with when I pull the engine in a couple of months.

s8prtotype
March 17th, 2015, 23:03
As far as the caps go, I originally used rubber caps from Napa as did Steveken who had some leak. I have since purchased some High Temp silicone caps from 034 that I plan to replace the rubber caps with when I pull the engine in a couple of months.

meh, just weld it shut :)

lswing
March 18th, 2015, 14:32
I would leave them in. Never any proof my engine/car ran hotter, but my belief is increased coolant temps leading to increased oil and trans fluid temps, leads to increased temp related trans damage. Only needed them 3 months out of the year in Oregon. I'll put them back in if I stay in Texas. Noticeable increase in boost performance without the heat soak from them.

Audi knew the car needed better warm weather cooling and put them in for a reason...

hahnmgh63
March 18th, 2015, 14:50
They also put in a crap automatic (5HP24) when the 6HP26 & 6HP28 was already out. Get the Automatic out and you save some heat out of the Radiator. With all of that slipping the Automatic gets hot. Just idling the car the Automatic gets up to temp fairly quick (evidenced by anyone with Vagcom hooked up while changing their ATF).

s8prtotype
March 18th, 2015, 18:59
I'd rather have a bigger oil/tranny cooler installed anyway then my intercoolers heated :)

cool all the thingz!

lswing
March 18th, 2015, 20:16
I'd rather have a bigger oil/tranny cooler installed anyway then my intercoolers heated :)

cool all the thingz!

I should have mentioned that's on my list. Almost did it a few years back...

Yep, the better airflow and lack of large chunk of metal bolted behind the ICs is nice!

fukinavit
April 1st, 2015, 06:31
Just to clarify here as maybe I am over thinking this. Basically just join the check valve line to the small inlet of the thermostat housing and reverse the direction of the check valve? (see above pic)
So when the engine is running the coolant flow would be blocked from going past the check valve and preventing hot coolant from the cylinder heads/heater unit going directly back to the thermostat housing.

s8prtotype
April 1st, 2015, 07:18
Thats what i did, working perfectly.

fukinavit
April 1st, 2015, 14:08
Thats what i did, working perfectly.

Ok, I just wasnt sure as the picture you posted still had the valve in the original direction, so did you change it?

s8prtotype
April 1st, 2015, 15:33
Are you going by the arrow on the hose itself? The valve is set so nothing is flowing into the silver pipe at all.

fukinavit
April 1st, 2015, 16:14
Are you going by the arrow on the hose itself? The valve is set so nothing is flowing into the silver pipe at all.

no, on the valve itself. the arrow on the hose is just the direction of coolant flow.
In the original picture you posted, the valve is in the original factory direction, just wondered if you changed it since then.

s8prtotype
April 1st, 2015, 16:29
Haven't changed anything, silver pipe flows into the black, didn't want it the other way around. Car has zero issues.

I can log via vagcom if you guys want to see if there are any changes.

fukinavit
April 1st, 2015, 16:41
Haven't changed anything, silver pipe flows into the black, didn't want it the other way around. Car has zero issues.

I can log via vagcom if you guys want to see if there are any changes.

ok, just wanted to clear that up, Bigglesworth has it the other way around.

Bigglezworth
April 2nd, 2015, 00:04
i think I"m confusing people with the photo. The description I provided down a couple of further posts sums up what I have working. Effectively the water can move out of the silver pipe on the frame rail and in to the black pipe leading to the T-stat. You do not want it flowing the other way. I've driven it that way f0r 2.5 years with not even a smimdgen past halfway on the temp guage.

lswing
April 2nd, 2015, 00:37
Mine were pulled 3 years ago, no issues since, needle always center. Last chat with the mechanic was to loop or connect the lines so it flowed as before just bypassing the removed radiators, fwiw. Not sure exactly how it went down.

fukinavit
April 2nd, 2015, 07:57
i think I"m confusing people with the photo. The description I provided down a couple of further posts sums up what I have working. Effectively the water can move out of the silver pipe on the frame rail and in to the black pipe leading to the T-stat. You do not want it flowing the other way. I've driven it that way f0r 2.5 years with not even a smimdgen past halfway on the temp guage.
nope, its all good. The picture did confuse me for sure. but you guys have done it and there are no issues then its good enough for me.
Just to summarise tho, doing it this way just allows coolant from the heads to be able to tee off from the heater matrix and go to the thermostat in a loop without cooling, only small flow so not a big deal.
if it was reversed then effectively you are capping those lines as the valve blocks the flow when running, this would be a true aux rad delete.