PDA

View Full Version : EGT Sensor?????????????

giles.dec
March 12th, 2015, 14:03
Check engine light popped on, had my buddy scan it. Exhaust gas temperature(EGT) sensor is the issue. Bank 1, G235 is the name. Anyone had this issue? I cleared the engine light to see if it comes back on or if this is a hiccup in the system. We found the sensor.... Engine drop required to replace, I think??? (Knock on Wood)

Thanks

Other_Erik
March 12th, 2015, 14:09
Check engine light popped on, had my buddy scan it. Exhaust gas temperature(EGT) sensor is the issue. Bank 1, G235 is the name. Anyone had this issue? I cleared the engine light to see if it comes back on or if this is a hiccup in the system. We found the sensor.... Engine drop required to replace, I think??? (Knock on Wood)

Thanks

Before you think about replacing, try re-soldering the lead wire on the PCB. I'll be doing exactly that this weekend.

1) Disconnect the sensor (on the firewall)
2) Pop open the sensor box (putty knife, small screwdriver, whatever)
3) Scoop/scrape the silicone jelly away from the major solder point
4) Flux off all the old solder
5) Melt new solder onto the solder joint
6) Re-coat with silicone jelly (or blue permatex, as I'll be doing)
7) Snap the sensor box back together
8) Reconnect sensor wire
9) Clear codes and watch livedata to see if you're getting good reading from that sensor
10) Beer, beer, beer.

If that doesn't fix the issue, replacement doesn't _require_ engine drop, but it's a tight fit to get to it with engine in. Requires lowering the subframe to be able to get to the sensor lead, others have better directions for doing that than I will...

O_E

lswing
March 12th, 2015, 14:24
^^^Yep, all that up there. The EGT's along with the O2 sensors are known to randomly fail, but at least a good part of the time it's the wiring which can be fixed. I think the EGT's usually go for around $500 a pair to make things worse. I believe their only function is to dump extra fuel in if for some reason your EGT temp reading hits 2,000F. If you're not tuned you should be no where near this. Just get Ross-Tech and keep clearing the code until you need to get in there for something else. Custom tuners can tune them out along with the rear O2s also. I like the EGT's for data logging (and extra security) myself, good indicator of rich/lean and how things are burning in general.

OE, I've added your info to the bottom of my Maintenance page. Thanks! I'll be setting aside a page for Sensors in the future. http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Other_Erik
March 12th, 2015, 15:04
OE, I've added your info to the bottom of my Maintenance page. Thanks! I'll be setting aside a page for Sensors in the future. http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Woot, thank you! I've got some other general maintenance writeups around here somewhere, will PM to you.

O_E

Dmb408
March 12th, 2015, 15:46
Someone did this with pictures recently, like an actual DIY, can anyone find that link?

lswing
March 12th, 2015, 16:06
Here's a bit more info with a nice pic, http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31390-EGT-Sensor-info-and-easy-fix-%28old-news%29

Use "site:rs6.com egt sensors" or the like in the Google...

Bigglezworth
March 12th, 2015, 16:43
Futher to the above, the EGT's for the RS6 are not the same as any of the other Audi's. They have different monitoring levels. This has been discussed on a couple of other forums. Some people also 'code' these out which I recommend against. They are there to ensure that if you have high exhaust temps, that the ECU washes the cylinders with additional fuel in an attempt to keep things cool. Better to lose a sensor than something more significant. As a heads up, I had an EGT hitting high temps a number of months back and as it turns out, it was a failed turbo that eventually seized. It flagged me and did what it needed to do.

P1054
March 13th, 2015, 00:33
I'll second Erik's suggestion above. I just did both of mine a few months ago, they were intermittently not working. Haven't had a problem since then. It's a bit of a pain to do the fix in place, but then again it's not so bad compared to full replacement.

lswing
March 13th, 2015, 00:38
Woot, thank you! I've got some other general maintenance writeups around here somewhere, will PM to you.

O_E

Please do, as my main reason for doing the site is having all the info I need in one place. I've added marklars home fix to the page http://www.audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

nene
March 13th, 2015, 01:56
The technician called me about doing the EGT sensors as well, as it was missing from my long 70K mile list. I confirmed we should those as well. Preventive maintenance given all else was being done, worth the price of admission.